Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
So my girls want an american girl doll for christmas. They are 5 and 7. I checked out the web site today and they are SO expensive!! I'm going to try to go to the actual store in dallas tomorrow so I can look at them..

But what makes these dolls worth $100 each?

I work for target and we have those our generation dolls, they are about 40ish each. With my discount even less.
Do your girls have a AG doll?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Replies (21-30):
nebcutie
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM

mcKenna is who my DD got and can't wait! Thanks for all the info! We are going to be about 2 hours from LA over Christmas so maybe we will go down there. My DD has never been to a store. We plan on going to Mall of America over the summer so that was our plan to get the doll then but she want mcKenna so we had to order it now. 

Quoting pitbull4me:

in Atlanta and NYC, the hotel nar the stores have special packages just for AG customers.She had a AG personal shopper,had the dining and hair salon package. In Atlanta,she went fo he 6th b-day and did the birthday party.Everything was catered for my dd and her AG doll.DC is a brand new store,so she just HAD to go.So,she and her grandma are doing it as part of her 9th b-day gift.She will have dinner and a personal shopper. At the hotel,my dd and he doll McKenna will check in,have a bed in the room for doll,robes for both my dd and doll and even AG cookies and milk. its crazy and she loves it!

In LA she did A Day at American Girl Place,she said the LA store is her favorite by far!LOL!

Quoting nebcutie:

what is the hotel experience? And what are they doing in DC?

Quoting pitbull4me:

my dd has 9 AG dolls,about 20 outfits,5 of their stuffed pets,cars,bikes,loft bed,regular bed,hair salon,sleeping bags,bath tub,wheelchair,horses,stables and some othe stuff I can't remember.All of it is for just the dolls. She has been the flagship stores in NYC,Atlanta,LA and had the whole AG experience at the hotel and the store.She leaves the 20th for 3 days at the Washington DC AG store experience. Her grandmothe and aunt take her and buy all the stuff. I think they are MAD expensive!

mjande4
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:28 AM

This.  My daughter has two and the quality is so much higher.  These are the dolls that she will be able to hand down to her daughter.  The Target brand, and I like Target, is just NOT comparable.  Also, American Girls come with a book and a background that is connected to history.  They are my choice, hands down.

Quoting matofour:

We love american girl. The quality is amazing, so much better than the target dolls.
The resale value is high as well.
I have three girls, and between them they have 14 dolls. We are building a floor to ceiling dollhouse in their bedroom for the American girls right now.

viasacra18
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I had two when I was younger I got my first when I was seven..they are so worth it if they break they have a hospital that fixes them and they are very well made and everything is well made they come with stories and history and their something you pass down ill will be passing mine down when my girls are old enough as well as getting them their own! And one thing you can do is have family members split the price if need be..but I would say they are way better then the our generation huge difference in quality and if your girls asked for American girl dolls specifically then they might be dissapointed if you tried substituting..and just make that their big item and everything else be smaller!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LanasMommy0504
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:49 AM
My DD has 2 of the Bitty Baby dolls from American Girl and 1 American Girl doll. I still have my American Girl doll that I got when I was 8. They're well worth the money in my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM

i loved them as a child.   i still have my samatha doll from when iwas a child so they do last more than cheap toys.    i can see what you are saying - if there was an less expensive option when i was young i bet my mom would have bought it.  

la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I personally would start with a my genertion doll and if they take care of it and still want an AG doll, I would get one next. That's what I did with my daughter and she was thrilled with her our generation doll.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I'm glad my daughter isn't into the hype but I wouldn't waste 100 bucks on a stupid doll to begin with.

mammabear413
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:05 AM

i did growing up , we have one each and a bitty baby, i couldnt really tell u why there such a big hit lol

Mommy4two
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:09 AM

My daughter doesn't have one but I did... I had Kirsten who went into retirement a few years ago... Each girl has her own stories "I believe 6 and mini stories" ... and numerous accessories, they're each from a different background and generation... I can't wait til my daughter understands them bc I want to take her to the American Girl store :-)

pitbull4me
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

lol! My dd saved her b-day money to get Julie when she goes to DC. The pics of her at the LA store were great!

Quoting nebcutie:

mcKenna is who my DD got and can't wait! Thanks for all the info! We are going to be about 2 hours from LA over Christmas so maybe we will go down there. My DD has never been to a store. We plan on going to Mall of America over the summer so that was our plan to get the doll then but she want mcKenna so we had to order it now. 

Quoting pitbull4me:

in Atlanta and NYC, the hotel nar the stores have special packages just for AG customers.She had a AG personal shopper,had the dining and hair salon package. In Atlanta,she went fo he 6th b-day and did the birthday party.Everything was catered for my dd and her AG doll.DC is a brand new store,so she just HAD to go.So,she and her grandma are doing it as part of her 9th b-day gift.She will have dinner and a personal shopper. At the hotel,my dd and he doll McKenna will check in,have a bed in the room for doll,robes for both my dd and doll and even AG cookies and milk. its crazy and she loves it!

In LA she did A Day at American Girl Place,she said the LA store is her favorite by far!LOL!

Quoting nebcutie:

what is the hotel experience? And what are they doing in DC?

Quoting pitbull4me:

my dd has 9 AG dolls,about 20 outfits,5 of their stuffed pets,cars,bikes,loft bed,regular bed,hair salon,sleeping bags,bath tub,wheelchair,horses,stables and some othe stuff I can't remember.All of it is for just the dolls. She has been the flagship stores in NYC,Atlanta,LA and had the whole AG experience at the hotel and the store.She leaves the 20th for 3 days at the Washington DC AG store experience. Her grandmothe and aunt take her and buy all the stuff. I think they are MAD expensive!

"People don't have a pit bull problem, pit bulls have a people problem."

First they came for the Pit Bulls
and they banned them and killed them
their owners cried out in horror but I did not object
because I did not own pit bulls.

Then they came for the Rottweilers
and they banned them and muzzled them
their owners cried out in protest but I did not object
because I did not own Rottweilers.
Today they have come for my dogs
and they will ban them and take them from me
as I cry out in outrage and anger no one objects
because they do not own my dogs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN