Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
So my girls want an american girl doll for christmas. They are 5 and 7. I checked out the web site today and they are SO expensive!! I'm going to try to go to the actual store in dallas tomorrow so I can look at them..

But what makes these dolls worth $100 each?

I work for target and we have those our generation dolls, they are about 40ish each. With my discount even less.
Do your girls have a AG doll?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Replies (31-40):
KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I did it for the whole experience. We got some friends together and let the girls each pick out a doll (I let my DD get a couple outfits too) and we had lunch together in the little cafe at the store. *shrugs* I have been wanting to do it with her since I first saw the store at the Mall of America. The girls AND mommies had a blast LOL

CanInTex
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM
My dd has an AG doll and a my generation. Honestly, there is no difference in the doll itself. It's the shopping experience (the stores are amazing) and the stories behind some of the dolls that make them so cool.
Dd got her AG doll with money she saved. We paid for two outfits and to get her ears pierced. You could pierce a Generation Dolls ears yourself and buy AG doll earrings. Also the clothes fit both dolls.

We will buy My Generation dolls from here on out with AG doll accessories. We subscribed to an AG magazine which dd will love. It's full of great articles and small stories and crafts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebecca_tal4
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM
I've never liked dolls, I think they are creepy but i don't think the idea is stupid.
My girls have never asked for something specific for christmas so I don't see a problem with it.
And I'm going tospend about that much anyway so who cares.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

I'm glad my daughter isn't into the hype but I wouldn't waste 100 bucks on a stupid doll to begin with.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM
I would do it for my daughter because I wanted one so bad as a kid and I never got one. We always got super expensive Christmas presents so I never understood why my mom never got me one, though she always says its because then she would have had to get one for my sister who wasn't old enough.... Well yeah, we were 7 years apart. Ugh! Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Five might be too young for one, they require a wig hairbrush and the site even reccomends 8 and up. I bought dd the 2012 girl of the year for Christmas, she has read both the books and saw the movie. The dolls are amazing quality.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM

My girls have the Avon version given to them by their grandparents. They look very similar and were way less in cost. 

mitikusmom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM

My DD asked for one, but there was just no way.  I was going to go with the WalMart version, but she went crazy over a $25 Merida doll so she is getting that instead.

Doc.Mc.Lissa
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

No, I wouldn't spend that much on a doll.

MamaPeanut
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM
The AG dolls are far superior in quality and appearance. I would never get a cheap knock off.

My dd has 5 AG dolls and 15 or do outfits. She is 6.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jess80
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Hmmm you ladies have me thinking that I screwed up!! I posted my daughters AG dolls for sale on FB on the local yard sale site. There are 2 dolls,bubble bath tub,and castle carrying case. I was asking 60 for all of it and I have someone wanting to give me $45. I'm thinking if taking that because I need the money right now. I know I'll regret it later. I'm only selling them because my DD's have had them over a year and never play with them. DD's are 5&10
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN