Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
So my girls want an american girl doll for christmas. They are 5 and 7. I checked out the web site today and they are SO expensive!! I'm going to try to go to the actual store in dallas tomorrow so I can look at them..

But what makes these dolls worth $100 each?

I work for target and we have those our generation dolls, they are about 40ish each. With my discount even less.
Do your girls have a AG doll?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Replies (41-47):
onethentwins
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:07 PM

It's the quality of the hair and the hard bodies, plus I think there's some kind of club, registry. Some dolls only  have hard arms and soft bodies. They last forever. My daughter has beautiful Gotz dolls. 

The my generation dolls are fine, but they don't have quite the natural look of the more expensive dolls and their hair is more plasticy. If you look carefully around the mouth, nose and hands of the more expensive dolls you'll see the detail.

KayelynnsMama
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I had AG dolls when I was younger. They were super expensive..

Their hair gets ruined super easy if they don't have a special brush.

I didn't get mine until I was 8, I think. 5 seems too young to really care for such an expensive doll.

I would probably go with the Our Generation dolls. I'm pretty sure the AG doll clothes still fit them.

KayelynnsMama
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I would try Craigslist. Even $60 seems SUPER cheap. There's no way I would take $45 for it. I would try posting them for $150 and go down to $125 or $100 if needed. Especially since it comes with the case and bath set. (If they are in good condition.)

Quoting jess80:

Hmmm you ladies have me thinking that I screwed up!! I posted my daughters AG dolls for sale on FB on the local yard sale site. There are 2 dolls,bubble bath tub,and castle carrying case. I was asking 60 for all of it and I have someone wanting to give me $45. I'm thinking if taking that because I need the money right now. I know I'll regret it later. I'm only selling them because my DD's have had them over a year and never play with them. DD's are 5&10

jess80
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Ok thanks

Quoting KayelynnsMama:

I would try Craigslist. Even $60 seems SUPER cheap. There's no way I would take $45 for it. I would try posting them for $150 and go down to $125 or $100 if needed. Especially since it comes with the case and bath set. (If they are in good condition.)

Quoting jess80:

Hmmm you ladies have me thinking that I screwed up!! I posted my daughters AG dolls for sale on FB on the local yard sale site. There are 2 dolls,bubble bath tub,and castle carrying case. I was asking 60 for all of it and I have someone wanting to give me $45. I'm thinking if taking that because I need the money right now. I know I'll regret it later. I'm only selling them because my DD's have had them over a year and never play with them. DD's are 5&10

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:25 PM
the quality of the dolls surpass those sold at target, but if you don't want to make the investment it think that your child wouldn't treat the doll appropriately then I wouldn't spend the money.
VarelaClan
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM
American girl doesn't compare to the others. There really is a huge difference. I wasted money on the cheaper dolls. Don't do the same as me. Go straight to American girl. The quality is unmatched.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM

My girls both have an AG doll. ( 5 and 7 when they got them) And the quality is excellent. I bought th oldest a Journey Girl from Toys R us and the hair on it is awful.... My girls love their AG dolls. expensive, but worth it. My son even has a bitty baby boy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)