Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Quit smoking yesterday!! have you ever been a smoker? need words of support.

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM
  • 81 Replies

That's right.   yesterday was my first day in about 4 months of being smoke free.   i started smoking when i was about 16.   it makes me get headaches,  a constant cough,   drains my energy... i know its best to quit,  its just hard today - my first day back to school  (I tutor reading.)    yesterday i was all gung ho...  i was really into quitting and proud of myself.   today i just want to cry - is that normal??  normal hormones shift or idk!!   i figured i would be busy and less time to stress about not having them.

anything yuo can say to support my efforts are greatly appreciated.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyLos
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
GOOD LUCK i quit for a week a few years ago and had an emotional and mental break down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AylaMom
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:32 AM
2 moms liked this
You can do it!! I have my quit date set for Dec 1st and I am scared. I have tried before and will keep trying until I do it. Just take it one hour at a time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ladybugist
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:34 AM

---be strong Darling---in a few days you are going to feel great----your skin will start turning back to the beautiful color it should be.  Drink water to flush it out of your system quicker.  That also helps because you have something in your hand besides a cig.  This to shall pass---just stay strong.

caseyskitten
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never been a smoker but my dad quite cold turkey after many many years of smoking .. he was grouchy for awhile and even started back after 2 years of stopping. He's now been smoke free for 6 mths again. My mom still smokes so my dad says its hard to be around and they are days he just wants to chew the whole pack but if he can do it anyone can... good luck maybe try chewing gum and eating hard candy... just keep telling yourself you can do it....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

First drink lots of water  it really does help.  2nd  remember that it will pass.  3rd.  the first 3 days are the toughest.  You start out feeling empowered but quickly loose that momentum and you start to question why you started in the first place.   Everytime you think of a reason to give up quitting and return to smoking think of 2 reasons why quitting is helpful.    If you have children  try to remember smoking parents make kids much more likely to smoke.  

try to avoid things that remind you of smoking.   keep your hands busy.  Even after the nicotine is out of your system the habbit of smoking sticks around. It takes a while to break the habitual need.  

another thing is take the $$ you used to spend on cigarettes and put it in an envelope. I used to buy cigs daily and @ 12 dollars a pack the money added up quickly.  After a week or so take the $$ and go buy yourself something.   

Just remember it will get better soon.

IWantOneMorePlz
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

You CAN DO IT!!  I quit smoking March 31, 2002 cold turkey.  That's right, 10 years smoke free.  It was hard in the beginning, but I kept telling myself about how much money I would save.  In NY, smokes are about 10 dollars a pack now.  When I quit, they went up to 5 a pack.  

The feelings you are having are normal.  In about 3 days, it will be a lot easier.  

Good Luck!!!!!

CountYouTwice
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been quit for 2 years I just kept telling myself how great I was doing and that if I smoked I would have to start all over. Also my friends that smoked would say I wish I hadn't smoked in 2 days (however long it had been) and I felt proud. The first week is the hardest, I promise it gets easier.

Due9
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck...stay strong and remember the reason you are quitting!
My sister quit cold turkey and at first she was moody, etc but she says it gets easier and she doesnt even have the urge to go back. She also feels much better. Determination is key!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofsunshine77
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I smoked for 10 years and quit cold turkey.  It is really hard.  BUT, hang in there you can do it.  I kept my self busy and after about 2 weeks I really did not have a craving anymore.  The first couple of days are the hardest and it gets easier.  Keep it up!!! 

jenzachsam
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

If I can be an ex smoker so can you.  I have been smoke free for almost 15 months.  It's the best feeling in the world too!  I smoked for 15 years straight.  One day, I just put them in the trash and never looked back again.  Now if I'm out in public and someone smokes in front of me, I become superly sick.  You can do it!  The first week is the hardest!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)