Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

stay at home moms

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

Question for you do you love it or hate it? Besides housework and errands how do you fill up your day? Im asking since the guy im with would prefer me be a stay at home mom and I am debating. Any help ladies would be appreciated.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mammabear413
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM

i dont clean all day , i play with my son , try to teach him things,  once a week  we try for a playdate out a outting like aquirum or the park.  i when my son sleeps i read for 30 mins then clean stuff i cant do when hes awake. hes 19 months.  some days i do get bored others i feel like i have no time to finish everything 

arilolojrsmom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM
I clean when the kids are napping. But I get bored stuck in the house all day. I really can't wait till I get to go back to school so I can get out of the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM
I do playdates. Run errands. Clean do laundry. My dd is 1yo so she's the majority of my time. I'm also pregnant so i nap with her. I sing abcs and the wheeks on the bus etc. Read books. Play. I also have to chase her around cleaning up her messes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I love it.  I do housework and play with the kids.  We school at home so a decent chunk of my day is school.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I love it and would never, ever work full time while my kids were this little unless we were about to be homeless or something.  But it's important to do your research ahead so you don't fall into the standard pitfalls that many women complain about.  Like when my oldest was only 4 months old, I sought out a playgroup which is, honestly, more for the moms' sanity than the kids.  Those women have become vital to my weekly routine and a big part of my social life.  We do stuff without our kids, too which I think is really important , like have dinners out every month or two with just us ladies.  Also, before you even have a kid or quit your job (not sure which stage you're in) look into what free or cheap things there are to do with your kids in your area.  Little ones don't need specific organized classes or anything, but sometimes a change of scenery can make a big difference if you guys are having a bad day.  And it doesn't have to be expensive.  My kids and I can make a morning out of walking around the mall.  Between the free play area there, the library and the pet store, they can be entertained for a long time for free.  Also, you need to be ok with some mess.  I'm not a slob and we don't live in filth, but when kids are young and they spend most of their waking hours at home, it will get very messy.  It just is what it is.  Occasionally it'll get to me, but really they're only this little once and when they're grown and gone, I'm pretty certain I'll miss the mess and chaos. 

Those are just the main things off the top of my head that have helped me go from tolerating being home for the sake of my kids to really, really liking it.  I was hesitant to quit my career, but now it's getting harder for me to think about going back.  I know that I will because i want to help out financially down the road, but that's how much I like being home now.   And the last thing I always think about is that probably no one lies on their  death bed and says, "gee I wish I worked more when my kids were little."

sj77504
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I do a lot of homework during the day, but I also play with my little girl. We go to the park and story time at the library. It seems like there is always something to do. When I am done with my finals I will have a lot more time and I plan on doing a lot of baking with her.

kfroz0415
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I do the cleaning, bill paying, and errands of course, BUT I also play with my son, goof on here while he naps or like now while he's watching his daily dose of Elmo. lol Then we also go to playdates with the mom's meetup group we joined a few months back. 

I love being a sahm and wouldn't have it any other way, unless of course, it became necessary that I star working outside of the home.

I guess it's something you figure out as you go, as to what does and doesn't work for you and your kiddo(s).

Ollie123
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I love it. I make my own schedule and I am always available for my kids.

vrbtnseele
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM
I do mild cleaning, and activities with DD19 months monday and wensdays, more of the bigger cleaning and whatever i feel like on tusedays thursdays and fridays while DD is at school. I have alot of freedom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I love/hate it. I don't do housework as often as I should. I find myself online too much because I am bored. My kids are all in school now so I am bored most days. I can't work due to my son's disability and me needing to be home when he gets on/off the bus and when there is no school. I have yet to find anyone who will hire me to work 9-3 and have the same days off as the school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)