Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What would of you done in this situation?

Today I was leaving walmart, parked in one of the parking spots at the end of the row. As I was backing out a guy came around the corner and hit me. When I got out and looked at both cars, there was no damage on his and very little scratching on mine. I asked him what he wanted to do? He said just to give him some cash and we would drop it. I explained to him I do not carry cash, I also do not feel responsible for the accident, nor is there any damage to his vehicle and if he wants any money from me he is going to have to go through my insurance. He looked at me and said okay we will go through insurance. I told him okay well we will have to get a police report then to determine whos fault it is. I went to call and he said "No, dont call! Never mind we will just drop it." and he got in his car and drove off. What would you do?

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
jonnlilithsmom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

did you get his licence plate number?

if not, you've already dropped it, by driving away from the scene, and not reporting as soon as you got home 

Mrs.Miller11
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM

he hit you and he wants you to pay? Fuck that

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM

thats what my mom tells me and she has been an insurance adjustor (the lady who determines HOw much money you get) for almost 40 years!   i just believe her when she tells me insurance stuff.   so i assume its true.

Quoting Crazylovingfam:

Quoting AmaliaD:

i would tell him  - no one is ever "at fault"  in a parking lot.   and by the way he ran when  you talked about the police report to get right with the law (idk if he is lacking insurance or has warrents for his arrest but running like that shows guilt in some way.)  

Really? I didnt know that? I was just going to let the cop make the determination. I have full coverage insurance, with accident forgiveness (that I never used), and a $0 deductable so it really wasnt a huge deal to me.

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM
If it was on private property they wouldn't do much anyway. In my city they would just provide an "exchange of information" form which is something you can do on your own anyway. Private property accidents are sorted out by the insurance companies with few exceptions (such as DUI).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vicariously
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

It's too late now - let it go. If you wanted to do something you should have called right after it happened.

Quoting Crazylovingfam:

BTW I left. IDK if I should call the cops and make a report (I am sure walmart has cameras too) or just drop it. Truthfully I didnt want to wait for thd cops because it was getting to nap time for my 2 year old who was already grouchy

kitty8199
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Nothing you can do now. I would've called of there was damage to my car. If he drove off, hit and run. They won't issue a ticket, in a parking lot, but will write a report. If he drives off, it becomes criminal hit and run at that point
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I would have grabbed his plate number and called the cops immediately.

midjet117
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM
I would have let it go. I assume the guy had no insurance and was broke. He might have thought he had something over you until you mentioned police. Lol it really takes brains sometimes
rowseylove
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Seems IMO it was a scam... he wanted cash, and then drove away at the mention of police. --i honestly wonder how many people fall for it and give cash to bypass insurance and police reports.
samimommy
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Since you already drove off, I wouldn't worry about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN