Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What would of you done in this situation?

Today I was leaving walmart, parked in one of the parking spots at the end of the row. As I was backing out a guy came around the corner and hit me. When I got out and looked at both cars, there was no damage on his and very little scratching on mine. I asked him what he wanted to do? He said just to give him some cash and we would drop it. I explained to him I do not carry cash, I also do not feel responsible for the accident, nor is there any damage to his vehicle and if he wants any money from me he is going to have to go through my insurance. He looked at me and said okay we will go through insurance. I told him okay well we will have to get a police report then to determine whos fault it is. I went to call and he said "No, dont call! Never mind we will just drop it." and he got in his car and drove off. What would you do?

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Replies (21-25):
Ilaynasmommy
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Quoting rowseylove:

Seems IMO it was a scam... he wanted cash, and then drove away at the mention of police. --i honestly wonder how many people fall for it and give cash to bypass insurance and police reports.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seagodess
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I'd say drop it. In all reality if it was just a small scratch you dont really need to call the cops. Just exchange insurance info. And from my understanding it would have been your fault. I've known people who have been backing out of a parking spot and got hit. Every time it was the person who was backing out who was at fault.

gavansmommy
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM

That is not true. I got in an a

Ccident in the target parking lot and the woman who hit me was 100% at fault. I was backed out of my parking space and changing gears (totally stopped) when she started backing out and hit me. I was not at fault based on her insurance company. She tried to lie but they had it on camera. If there is damage I would peruse it.

Quoting Crazylovingfam:

Quoting AmaliaD:

i would tell him  - no one is ever "at fault"  in a parking lot.   and by the way he ran when  you talked about the police report to get right with the law (idk if he is lacking insurance or has warrents for his arrest but running like that shows guilt in some way.)  

Really? I didnt know that? I was just going to let the cop make the determination. I have full coverage insurance, with accident forgiveness (that I never used), and a $0 deductable so it really wasnt a huge deal to me.

rawrmommysaurus
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Seems to me there was a scam like this going on a few years ago.  

I would call and ask at the police station if they have heard of anything like this happening.  Tell them the story and see what they say.  It may be a resurgence of the scam.  They can then inform the newspapers and tv stations to put out warnings.  

Quoting rowseylove:

Seems IMO it was a scam... he wanted cash, and then drove away at the mention of police. --i honestly wonder how many people fall for it and give cash to bypass insurance and police reports.

GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I think the "no fault" in private lots is only true in Michigan, or one of the states in that area, because they're a "no fault" state. Otherwise, accidents that happen in parking lots are looked at just like they would be if they were on the road. The exception is, cops 99% of the time will not come to an accident call made in a parking lot. In most states cops don't have jurisdiction on private property (unless residential) so the only thing they would do is write a report. They couldn't issue any tickets or anything, though you would have been the one receiving one since you were in reverse.

OP, I definitely wouldn't have given the guy money, especially since he got weird on you when you wanted to call the police. In the future (which hopefully this never happens to you again) I would make sure to get the license plate number at the very least. I think you lucked out on this one though, since you were "technically" in the wrong by backing in to the other car. I know the guy came around the corner and hit your car, but almost any time someone is in reverse and hits or get hit, they are the ones liable. For all you know this guy could hang out in the parking lot and just wait for people to back up so he can nick their car and get quick cash....

Quoting AmaliaD:

thats what my mom tells me and she has been an insurance adjustor (the lady who determines HOw much money you get) for almost 40 years!   i just believe her when she tells me insurance stuff.   so i assume its true.

Quoting Crazylovingfam:

Quoting AmaliaD:

i would tell him  - no one is ever "at fault"  in a parking lot.   and by the way he ran when  you talked about the police report to get right with the law (idk if he is lacking insurance or has warrents for his arrest but running like that shows guilt in some way.)  

Really? I didnt know that? I was just going to let the cop make the determination. I have full coverage insurance, with accident forgiveness (that I never used), and a $0 deductable so it really wasnt a huge deal to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN