Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My daughter doesnt take school seriously and has issues with math HELP please

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:48 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have a 6 year old daughter. She never takes school seriously. She is smart and I know this but she doesnt apply herself. I dont know what to do The teacher even says she doesnt take it seriously. I am so greatful that her teacher is nice to her and isnt harsh knowing how dd is. What do I do? I have tried bribing her and its like whatever to her. I always praise her when she makes A. She made a F and was like whatever. Shes only in first grade but I worry. I have a older child whom cant retain school information and struggles. I wonder may if its me. What can I do as a parent to help my kids.

My second question is she is having a hard time counting off. So if we take 7 + 3 she wont take her 3 fingers and count off. I tried with her tonight and she started crying and got frustrated so I left her alone.

Someone please help me. One more thing her teacher stays a hour twice tutoring my dd and other kids and that helps a lot.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I think perhaps she is struggling so she blows it off to save herself the extra heart ache.  Perhaps look into more one on one tutoring outside of school.   What we have for my dd who is in 1st grade as well is a chart on our wall (Just like school) that has numbers 1-100 on them.  When she gets stuck on her math problems, she can refer to that chart instead of using her fingers.  She got an award for mastering her +1 facts (addition)and that made her more excited to learn the -1 facts.   We are struggling more with her handwriting and her not wanting ot write in her journals at home and at school.  I am grateful that her teacher as well will work with us and we have adjusted her homework to which i can start the sentence in journal for her and she finishes it.

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I would stop buying her things. She is old enough to understand that you have to go to school to get a job, you have to have a job to get money, and you have to have money to buy stuff. No school = no stuff. Also, I would work with her on math but don't freak out. I had the same number issues as the other kids. What doesn't work is letting the school punish kids with issues. I still remember being kept inside during recess because I couldn't count to 100. That didn't help. I did eventually learn it with time, but punishing me just made me angry. I personally wouldn't ever let a school do that to my kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Try more textile things or counters instead of fingers for now.

My 6yo also gets frustrated easily but is good about school in general thankfully.

We have math cups/ sticks and an abacus.

Let me take sone pix to show you...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:48 PM

See the popsicle sticks have problems to solve then you put the answer one in the cup. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:49 PM

This helps with visual counting. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1likeme
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:18 PM
My oldest son behaved like this but he truly didn't grasp math. He made the most progress when I hired a tutor. It removed the power struggle between him and me and he worked well with the tutor. It was a great experience all around.
Allinorder
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:29 PM

How do I use it? Ive seen them before but never used them before.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Well there's a specific way- that Idk, and I just use them as counters.

Say if it's 2+1 we slide 2 over, then one.

Quoting Allinorder:

How do I use it? Ive seen them before but never used them before.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Winchester
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Limit time that she is allowed to watch TV.  When she is bored she will start seeking other outlets like learning. 

When I was a kid I had the same attitude because I had problems understanding and I was embarassed about it.  So I just acted like I didn't care because it was better to be apathetic then stupid.  Let her know that she's NOT stupid and just be patient with her.  Persist and let her know that ignoring the problem will not make it go away. 

Try counters or flash cards.  There are work books that you can buy and use at home and do them together.  Devote an hour each night to it.

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Have you considered an alternative method of education such as Montessori or Waldorf?This is the problem with traditional methods, they often leave children feeling frustrated and that can lead to the kind of reaction she is displaying. There are many approaches to learning and not every child "gets" something right away, she may just not be very "receptive" to math at this time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN