Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I think my dog is going to die tonight if we dont get her to a vet =(

All day long my dog has not acted right. She has been hiding and just laying around. Well tonight has been no different but just a few minutes ago she walked into the hallway and was gagging and puked. She then immediately went outside. I went to clean up the puke (first time she has puked all day) and there are several spots of bright red blood in it, and the rest is a brownish watery color (no dog food but she hasnt really ate today). I think we should take her to the emergency vet but I can not get her to come inside. =( Does anyone know what could be wrong? Are there any illnesses that dogs typically puke blood? I really hope she doesnt die outside tonight. I have always heard animals go and hide when they know they are dying.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Replies (21-30):
Crazylovingfam
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Quoting Lyzmom:

Ok, good. This sounded similar to my dog, who ended up having a deadly uterine infection.
The blood is concerning. you should get her in. Can you bribe her with a treat or favorite toy to get ahold of her?
Just a thought...it works for mine when she tries to run. I hope everything works out.

Was your dog spayed? I have treats and her bed on the porch waiting for her so I can trap her. She dont even want to eat the treats I have thrown to her though.

jess80
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Poor baby ;(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lyzmom
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM
No, she wasn't.
Seems like you're doing all you can right now. I guess keep trying to get her.

Quoting Crazylovingfam:

Quoting Lyzmom:

Ok, good. This sounded similar to my dog, who ended up having a deadly uterine infection.
The blood is concerning. you should get her in. Can you bribe her with a treat or favorite toy to get ahold of her?
Just a thought...it works for mine when she tries to run. I hope everything works out.

Was your dog spayed? I have treats and her bed on the porch waiting for her so I can trap her. She dont even want to eat the treats I have thrown to her though.

MammaPaparazza
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM
When my dog had a blockage he couldn't walk I had to try to pick him with a towel around his belly ... He couldn't even hold his head up and he never puked
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sucker4myloves
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM

If there's an emergency vet as you say, there is no reason not to take her.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

RhiannonMare
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Take her to an emergency vet clinic! It could be parvo, which is usually fatal. It could be distemper. She could've been poisoned. She could have bloat. It could be any number of illnesses and they are serious illnesses.

Linds2Horse
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:28 AM

It sounds like she has an intestinal blockage, which will become fatal - painfully fatal - if she doesn't clear it on her own.  The brownish water color is stomach bile and blood from internal bleeding.  The red specks you see are caused by irritation in her espophogus from heaving.   Colic causesd by an intestinal block is considered a medical emergency. Her intestines will begin to become necrotic in the area of the blockage after 2-3 hrs, but the rush is to get her into surgery before her intestines perforate.  A perforation can happen when food stacks up before the blockage and expands the intestines.  Once a perforation happens there is no chance of recovery.

Best wishes to you and your dog tonight.

Linds2Horse
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Quoting Crazylovingfam:

Quoting Lyzmom:

With an intestinal or cecum block they won't want to eat because of the pain. The pain is similiar to being in labor except that it's continuous, and doesn't come in waves like contractions do.  It's a good idea not to feed her anything because food in her stomach could interfer with the general anesthesia they will have to use if surgery is necessary.  Can't you go outside and grab her?

prdmomnarmywife
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM
Parvo ..:(
darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM

if she is 6, she is probably too old for parvo... but still with her not eating, she is at risk for dehydration..

how much blood, was it just a few spots? It could be just from vomitting-- forcefully vomiting will cause small blood vessels to rupture-- not serious, but if its a lot of blood then its something more serious..

I would suggest getting a group of people and cornering her...

I hope you catch her soon... let us know

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)