Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am a horrible mom and so was my mother.

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just told this today because my kids know that Santa clause is not real. They have always known. All three of them, even my four year old, will tell you mommy and daddy are Santa clause. My in laws went off on me for this. They asked me which present from them they should mark from Santa. I told them they could any of them but that my kids will know it really wasnt from him. I explained to them that my mom told me and my siblings from the beginning that Santa wasnt real and we turned out fine. They said, oh so thats your problem. No wonder why you turned out this way and now your doing it to your kids. Oh I was livid and just hung up the phone. My in laws are suppose to spend Christmas here but I dont know if I can remain civil after that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Replies (21-30):
mcsmom1
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Everyone is entitled to raise their children how they see fit. If you don't want your children to believe in Santa, so be it. I would just hope that you tell them not to ruin it for the children who do believe.

EDIT: I just read your replies about them not telling others. Sounds good!

goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes we have talked to them about not telling other children. I told them it would ruin their Christmas and it was not fair or their place to ruin someone elses Christmas. I also explained to them that it would make other children sad and it was up to their parents to talk to them about Santa when the time was right.

Quoting mcsmom1:

Everyone is entitled to raise their children how they see fit. If you don't want your children to believe in Santa, so be it. I would just hope that you tell them not to ruin it for the children who do believe.

msmom29
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:14 AM
It's your family if you want them to know the truth then that's what you do. Not everyone has to believe. Our daughter does and our son will. When the time comes and thy know he isn't real anymore I am going to tell them about the real st. Nick. And why people do Santa today. It's not right for them to tell you that your a bad mom over something like that!!! Best o lucky wih the holidays. Btw, we do a single gift from Santa, the one they wanted the most rest are from mommy an daddy.

Oh I forgot to add my father told me there was no Santa at 4, when I hide behind the chair to wait for him and saw my parents putting gifts out. And then he told me the story of st. Nicholas. I turned out just fine was not tramatized because dad said Santa wasn't real.
johanna_emig
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I wouldn't celebrate with my inlaws either if that happened to me. They're your children, your traditions. They're pretty smart kids if they figured out that santa, the easter bunny and the tooth fairy aren't real. I'd tell them to take a flying leap, in fact I've just about told my FIL to go take a flying leap, but that's a different story

mamalusbear
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I'd tell your inlaws to mind their own business, they obviously have nothing better to do.  I don't think your kids will hold this against you when they're grown.  I found out Santa wasn't real when I was five and I turned out well; I also still love my folks very much.  

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM

really?

I would think it would take a lot more to make me unable to be civil to my husbands family.

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM

That's just petty to get all pissy and butt hurt over,I'd say her mother was a bad one because of how bad she raised her to become such a Twatwaffle......SMDH... I'd be uninviting them too that was just wrong !

Jessica198027
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Does not make u a horrible parent, I have always told my kids the true story of Santa( St. Nick) that gave gifts to kids in his village. That is how the story of Santa got started. I have always told my kids he is not real and does not come down the chimeny since they were old enough to talk and understand what I was saying.

supermom0609
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM
We have never told our kids about santa,elves we dont do elf on the shelf nothing of that nature
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amanda81919
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM
I was told I was a bad parent bc of that too.oh well. It makes them appreciate what we can get them and understand if we can't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)