Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am a horrible mom and so was my mother.

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just told this today because my kids know that Santa clause is not real. They have always known. All three of them, even my four year old, will tell you mommy and daddy are Santa clause. My in laws went off on me for this. They asked me which present from them they should mark from Santa. I told them they could any of them but that my kids will know it really wasnt from him. I explained to them that my mom told me and my siblings from the beginning that Santa wasnt real and we turned out fine. They said, oh so thats your problem. No wonder why you turned out this way and now your doing it to your kids. Oh I was livid and just hung up the phone. My in laws are suppose to spend Christmas here but I dont know if I can remain civil after that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Replies (51-60):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I am pretty sure that my dd has never believed in any of them, Santa, the Easter bunny, The Tooth Fairy, etc. she just pretends for the benefits. Ds, I am not sure about but we do the Santa thing because we think it's fun.

Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:31 PM

They just found out that you do this NOW?  I don't get it - how have they missed that until this point?

goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM
They dont pay attention to detail and dont communicate.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

They just found out that you do this NOW?  I don't get it - how have they missed that until this point?

Aishamusty
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 5:53 AM

BUMP!

Basherte
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:17 AM

My son doesn't know about santa yet.

He used to be real. I'm not gonna try to change your mind. That would be rude. Thank you for teaching your children to not spread that around and possibly ruin it for the other kids. 

That is really respectful of them. I appreciate that. 

I want my child to believe in santa. 

I would never call you or your mother a bad parent. That's ridiculous. It's also not true. If your parents in law can't respect your wishes then they should spend the holidays celebrating on their own. 

Quoting goodnightmama:

Yes. I explained to them that it was our little secret and if they told another child.it would ruin their Christmas and it wouldnt be fair to ruin someone else Christmas.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I dont see anything wrong with children knowing he is not alive in our world..  Have you taught them not to spoil it for other children who may still believe?

loisl25
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I struggled with the whole Santa thing too. Honestly I was worried that if I lied to them about Santa they might think I was lying about Jesus and God as well. So, I never said anything one way or another about Santa, but other people did, so they came to believe in him on their own, then when they would ask me about Santa, I would try to find ways to answer without actually lying, but without really bursting the bubble, either, like I would say something like, "He is real for you if you believe." or "Santa clause was born hundreds of years ago and used to bring toys to all the villiagers children, then when he died the Catholic church made him a saint and now he lives in heaven." or something like that. Eventually they got mature enough and smart enough to decode my answers and realize that he is not 'real'.

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Your kids your rules...but I have to say it does make me sad :( It always crushes me when some parents decide that Santa, Easter Bunny & Tooth Fairy won't be part of their childrens childhoods. For us those things are such an important part of our childrens childhoods. But as I said your children and your rules and no one should say anything about it.
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM

What a stupid thing to argue about.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I agree and as an atheist is makes me laugh because most of these people believe in God and stress God to their children.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Your kids your rules...but I have to say it does make me sad :( It always crushes me when some parents decide that Santa, Easter Bunny & Tooth Fairy won't be part of their childrens childhoods. For us those things are such an important part of our childrens childhoods. But as I said your children and your rules and no one should say anything about it.

goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Thats why my mom told us the truth. She didnt want us to think she lied about other things. Plus it is one of the commandments not to lie. I did it because I am just not good with pretending he his real. Mine has nothing to do with god but I kind of understand why others feel that way. Lol

Quoting Paperfishies:

I agree and as an atheist is makes me laugh because most of these people believe in God and stress God to their children.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)