Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am a horrible mom and so was my mother.

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just told this today because my kids know that Santa clause is not real. They have always known. All three of them, even my four year old, will tell you mommy and daddy are Santa clause. My in laws went off on me for this. They asked me which present from them they should mark from Santa. I told them they could any of them but that my kids will know it really wasnt from him. I explained to them that my mom told me and my siblings from the beginning that Santa wasnt real and we turned out fine. They said, oh so thats your problem. No wonder why you turned out this way and now your doing it to your kids. Oh I was livid and just hung up the phone. My in laws are suppose to spend Christmas here but I dont know if I can remain civil after that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Replies (61-70):
fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Oh well I am very religious too. 100% catholic. lol

Quoting Paperfishies:

I agree and as an atheist is makes me laugh because most of these people believe in God and stress God to their children.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Your kids your rules...but I have to say it does make me sad :( It always crushes me when some parents decide that Santa, Easter Bunny & Tooth Fairy won't be part of their childrens childhoods. For us those things are such an important part of our childrens childhoods. But as I said your children and your rules and no one should say anything about it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

But youre ok with Santa Claus and all those other things, so it isn't as ridiculous.

People who are anti allowing their kids to believe in santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc  don't allow it because it would be "lying" to their kids...but I've noticed many who do this push god onto their kiddos as if God is a fact. 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Oh well I am very religious too. 100% catholic. lol

Quoting Paperfishies:

I agree and as an atheist is makes me laugh because most of these people believe in God and stress God to their children.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Your kids your rules...but I have to say it does make me sad :( It always crushes me when some parents decide that Santa, Easter Bunny & Tooth Fairy won't be part of their childrens childhoods. For us those things are such an important part of our childrens childhoods. But as I said your children and your rules and no one should say anything about it.

Caramel824
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM
SHOOT MY POPS SAID SANTA CLAUS wuz BLACK,meaning himself.
mikesmom65270
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I don't know why some people react like that, as if not believing in Santa is a form of treason.  I guess I'm a bad mom too because with our youngest DS we just made it a "Santa game" and he always knew it wasn't real but just for fun.  WIth my older kids (they are 10 and 15 years older than the youngest), we did the usual thing with Santa and then had to tell them it was not true.  My DD later said that if I had done with her and older DS what we did with the youngest she would have been OK with that.  I never believed in the Easter bunny, it was just a game, and turned out OK!   It's never really right to lie to kids about anything.  Your MIL sounds like my DIL--unbending, vendictive and impossible to get along with.  Just ignore her and her opinions.  You're doing the right thing.

trainlady
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Its your business how you raise your kids not theirs. If you chose not to go along with the fantasy then that is your right. If both sides look at it carefully there can be compromise made. As for them saying that is what is wrong with you, evidently they have been harboring these feelings for a long time. There isn't a  whole lot you can do about it. Just ignore it and have christmas for the kids. Happy Holidays

WendyJR
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Not cool of them to say that to you. It's your choice what you let your children believe or not believe. As long as they know not to ruin it for the kids who do believe there shouldn't be an issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cookie-kisses
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

When my oldest found out she thanked me for the best childhood ever! Made it worth it a million times over.   I found out at 5, but didn't let that ruin it for my own.  

Quoting MsDenuninani:

I understand their disappointment -- I was raised a Santa believer, and will raise my children that way too.

But they are being ridiculous.

MsDenuninani
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Quoting Cookie-kisses:

When my oldest found out she thanked me for the best childhood ever! Made it worth it a million times over.   I found out at 5, but didn't let that ruin it for my own.  

Quoting MsDenuninani:

I understand their disappointment -- I was raised a Santa believer, and will raise my children that way too.

But they are being ridiculous.

I love that my father raised me to believe in Santa.  He went out of his way with it too. 

And I was a pretty crazy staunch believer, despite evidence to the contrary.  I remember once I had a Christmas List under the tree, and I signed it with "I love you, Santa" and my dad had written on it "I love you too" which I saw on Christmas morning.  I kept it, and at some point later realized that the signature looked a LOT like my dad's.  So I actually thought that my dad for some reason thought he was Santa.

In other words, instead of thinking that Santa wasn't real, I instead thought my dad might be a bit delusional!

Yeah, childhood was fun :-)

Abigail0210
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I was told by my in-laws that I was a horrible mother because I di dnot giv emy daughter a pacifier (i tried when she was upset but she never liked them so I stopped trying)l.

I was told by my in-laws that I chose my career over my child because I worked.  I was making $80K a year and my husbands job was good but every month the pay was different... We needed my income.

In-laws can really suck....

January1964
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I'm with ya. I hate to lie to my daughter about anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)