Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Has anyone ever lived separately from their spouses? I am seriously considering moving with my children back to my home town to help out my dad. If anyone has how did your relationship handle it, how did your children handle it? We are still discussing it at this point but would just like to here other people's opinions/ stories. Would you ever consider living some where without your dh/so?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM

A friend from high school who I still talk to often, she moved for her job while her husband stayed behind to sell the house and take care of the kids so they wouldn't have to change schools in the middle of the year.  It was only for 6 months, she flew back home every weekend.  Her husband ended up cheating on her 3 months into it...They're divorced now.

LanasMommy0504
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I moved home to TN with DD while DH stayed behind in Hawaii when we thought we would be PCS'ing soon. We thought it would be easier for him to supervise our house being packed out without DD being around. She was almost 2 then. It ended up being for a little over 2 months and was pure hell. He even flew to visit us in TN for a week during that time. I think that just made it worse. We swore after that we'd never voluntarily leave each other again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM
I agree military spouses are apart for months and months and work out. As for school only one of mine is in school and he is only in first grade so they would all come with me and he would have to change schools.

Quoting wildlilacs:

Military spouse survive long seperations, why cant civilians? If there is deep love and respect, no one will cheat. There is skyping, texting, old fashion calling.

Depending how far apart, weekend visits. I say it can be done. Can the children stay with him, stay in same school?
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I've never had to do it, but wouldn't think twice about doing it in order to help a parent. 

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
No offense but I would guess their relationship wasn't that great.

Quoting Paperfishies:

A friend from high school who I still talk to often, she moved for her job while her husband stayed behind to sell the house and take care of the kids so they wouldn't have to change schools in the middle of the year.  It was only for 6 months, she flew back home every weekend.  Her husband ended up cheating on her 3 months into it...They're divorced now.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM
What was so difficult? Did you live with family or have your own place?

Quoting LanasMommy0504:

I moved home to TN with DD while DH stayed behind in Hawaii when we thought we would be PCS'ing soon. We thought it would be easier for him to supervise our house being packed out without DD being around. She was almost 2 then. It ended up being for a little over 2 months and was pure hell. He even flew to visit us in TN for a week during that time. I think that just made it worse. We swore after that we'd never voluntarily leave each other again.
Peaceful.chaos
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM
I know lots of military who have or are doing right now. It works for a lot of people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilysMom2010
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM
I don't do good alone.
Here's a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM
When she moved with her job it all went down hill. He felt abandoned, told her that he didn't sign up for a marriage where they would live apart. He started to resent her because as time went on he felt like she chose her job over the family.

I don't see being apart temporarily as a big deal...however if its going to be indefinite, then there is no point in even being married.

Quoting babyspots17:

No offense but I would guess their relationship wasn't that great.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleigh24
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Same here.

Quoting mmeredith:

I would do it. Your parents need you & sounds like dh understands this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)