Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Has anyone ever lived separately from their spouses? I am seriously considering moving with my children back to my home town to help out my dad. If anyone has how did your relationship handle it, how did your children handle it? We are still discussing it at this point but would just like to here other people's opinions/ stories. Would you ever consider living some where without your dh/so?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Replies (31-40):
sucker4myloves
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I've never done it, and I know a lot of women on here have seen such a situation tear a marriage apart, but I believe if you two are truly good mates, that won't ruin you. Of course, I've never seen this situation first hand so I could be 1,000% wrong. I hope you find the right answer for you and your family!

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

rainskysmom
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM
I could never live away from my hunny. He's like my best friend.
kansasmom1978
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM

My cousin did it when her mom was diagnosed with cancer. She went to Florida for 6 months to care for her, while her DH and kids stayed in Colorado. After 6 months m cousin wanted to stay in Florida and her dh made her choose.  She was stupid and chose Florida, losing custody of her kids. When I talked to her DH he said that they had discussed all moving down there and she promised it would be a short stay. His job is excellent and there kids are well involved in the community. 

I would NEVER live without my DH.  When DH was promoted and transferred we moved a week before he did. I was so damn lonely without him, we used a lot of minutes that week. We decided next time we all go together.

je412
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Yes I did. We got a divorce!
Seagodess
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I've had friends who lived apart for a while. He was in the military. They lived in one state where he was stationed but went to their home state for her to give birth to their DD. He was shipped off for 3 months a few weeks later and she stayed with her mom during this time. When he came back he lived in their house where he was stationed and she stayed with her mom in her home state for almost a year. He was NOT happy about it. Even told her that if she didn't come home he would divorce her. She did go back not long after that. 7 years later and they are getting divorced.

I personally would never do that. DH and I dont like to be away from each other for very long. DH would go crazy if I took DS and he couldn't see him every day. He even says if we were to get a divorce we would have to live next to each other so we could both see DS every day.

CjEmmemommy
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I have not but if you both can support the situation I think its fine. It wont be easy but its womderful you would be willing to care for your dad and your husband and children will support.
The kids will likely be fine with reg visits from dad
Good luck
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:43 AM

I have no experience with this type of situation. However, I think it is do-able. I figure if military families can do it and still maintain a healthy marriage then it is possible. =)

My brother is a private contracted engineer in Afganistan. He left behind 4 kids and a wife and as far as I know they are still a happy, healthy family.

I will need to leave my SO and dd next summer if I get into grad school. I will have to live by myself for 8 weeks to do clinical rotations and I have no doubt in my mind that my relationships will still last.

However, as I said, I don't have experience with living apart from a spouse. So, I am only assuming here...

GOod luck!

Bells2000
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:03 AM
If my parents were alive and needed help, id be there to help. If my husband couldnt understand that, then he could find a new wife. I would be there for him, if he needed it.

I wouldnt want to be in a relationship i had to keep his penis on a chain to prevent him from cheating. If he cant control that, hes better off out of my life.

That being said, id love to live seperately from my husband. Im hoping to get a full time job so i can move out with our girls. I cant stand his adult kids anymore. I m tired of being yelled at, tired of my girls getting yelled at, and tired of cleaning up after them.
hopefulmom789
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Yes. My DS and I are living apart . I left about 5 months ago to stay with my mother. Ds is 30 minutes away. It actually is something I recommend every troubled relationship to do. My DS and I have every other weekend where I sleep over with lil ds. DS cooks, serves me coffee...talks to me( not at me), and seems to realize that actions speak louder than words. He spends more quality time with lil ds too. And....no pressure in having sex. It opened up my eyes to the little idiotic eccentricities, that can make each others lives miserable. We may find we are a better couple apart, than living together. Time will tell.Good Luck on your decision. PEACE.

Diiwica
by New Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:48 AM

My husband and I live seperate. I live in Michigan while he lives in New York at a military base. We are seperare for school reasons, secondaraly he is getting out of the service in a few months so I am setting up a home for us. I go to school in Michigan. I have both of our children with me and when we have extra money and the time one of use goes and sees the other. (More often I go see him because the military doesn't give him as much leave as we'd like.) It is stressful but it does make the time we do have together so much sweeter! We talk often and he webcams with the boys via Skype as much as he can, mostly every day unless very busy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)