Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

in-home care or daycare center?

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM
  • 42 Replies

I have to go back to work in January so I've been looking for child care for DS and I've basically hit a wall with it.  Which is better? In-home care or daycare centers?It will cost about the same either way I go. 

I've visited a couple centers near us and am depressed after seeing nine babies in a room with two workers and all the newborns line up in a row in bouncy chairs.  But I love that they have set hours  and cant call me at last minute to say they cant watch my baby.   I also have the names of three women from my church who watch kids in their homes (in my neighborhood).  I love the idea that he will be in a family environment but am worried about the homes not being licensed and I often have to work long hours and dont want to burn bridges with these women that either I know or know people I know. 

Which do you think is better?

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fmama2
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM
If I ever worked again I would choose in home care again.
I am a sahm niw and babysit two kids and the mom has been much happier and so have the boys since they switched from daycare to in home
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
do11face
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I prefer day care centers, personally, but I'm really picky about them.

I worked in child care centers for many years.

kappalopokis
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM
I like daycare centers, if you find a good one, because they teach socialization. Something kids need!
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

i have always used in home care for my son. it actually cost less for me to do that than the big  commercial centers.

right now i pay 10.00 for a 1/2 day four hours or less and 20.00 for a whole day so four hours or more.

the big commercial centers say that i have to use them atleast 3x's a week and it is 150.00 a week minimum

and they aren't as health consious (sp) with what the kids eat. as the lady that watchs my son.

also my son has special needs and the lady that watchs him is way more qualified than anybod that works at one of thoes big commercial place's

also how old is your son?

ColeAreeaJet
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

He is 4 weeks old tomorrow.  He'll be about 9 weeks when I go back to work though.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

i have always used in home care for my son. it actually cost less for me to do that than the big  commercial centers.

right now i pay 10.00 for a 1/2 day four hours or less and 20.00 for a whole day so four hours or more.

the big commercial centers say that i have to use them atleast 3x's a week and it is 150.00 a week minimum

and they aren't as health consious (sp) with what the kids eat. as the lady that watchs my son.

also my son has special needs and the lady that watchs him is way more qualified than anybod that works at one of thoes big commercial place's

Natalias_Mom
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I'm so glad someone asked this question---we're getting ready to have our first and wasn't sure which would best.  

andersongirl562
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM
I do inhome daycare so am obviously going to be prejudiced lol but I do prefer the family environment of inhome. I personally only take one infant under 1.5 years old at a time to that I can give that baby lots of attention. The other kids in my care are 2/3 years old. As for being certified that doesn't really mean anything. A piece of paper isn't going to make some one be kinder to your baby :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColeAreeaJet
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM
No it won't but it gives you legal recourse god forbid anything happen to your child. (I've worked for attorneys for way too long)

Quoting andersongirl562:

I do inhome daycare so am obviously going to be prejudiced lol but I do prefer the family environment of inhome. I personally only take one infant under 1.5 years old at a time to that I can give that baby lots of attention. The other kids in my care are 2/3 years old. As for being certified that doesn't really mean anything. A piece of paper isn't going to make some one be kinder to your baby :)

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM

with him being that young i would personally do in home care vs.commercial daycare

he will get more 1 on 1 attention and they will be more likely to catch things like delays if he he has them

Quoting ColeAreeaJet:

He is 4 weeks old tomorrow.  He'll be about 9 weeks when I go back to work though.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM
I've always preferred centers. As young as 3 they started on academics, they were always open and there were more kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)