Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dh doesn't think we should give the kids teachers a gift.

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM
  • 159 Replies

Dh asked me to make a list of people we need to buy gifts for this Christmas, and I put the kid's teachers on the list. He says to me that it's not necesarry to buy teachers a gift. He says they have a sweet deal already. This is not the first time he's expressed jealousy towards teachers. He thinks it's not fair that they have three months off a year and still get paid, so I asked him then why he doesn't just become a teacher, and he says because they get paid crap, and I said, then how is it that  you think they have such a 'sweet deal'? but anyway, I'm getting off on a tangent here...

He doens't think we should get them a gift and spend our money on them. I asked him if he wants our kids to be the ONLY kids in the class who don't have a gift for their teacher and he says he's heard that before. I said, "I know, that's the same thing I said last year when you didn't want to give the teachers a gift." Last year when he didn't want to buy the teachers a gift I used my tip money from my hairdressing job to buy mason jars and took some left over fabric from a craft project and some ribbon, and made one of those cookie mix in a jar things, with a pretty tag with instructions on how to bake them. I made us a batch too and they were SO good, (cranberry hootycreeks).

In years past, before dh and I got married, (the two kids are from my previous marriage), when I was really broke, I also had made tree ornaments for the teachers with my kids out of their photos, pine cones, or cinnimon dough. What do you normally get for the teachers, or what are you giving them this year?

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I almost never give my kids' teachers gifts.  It's not because I think they've already got a "sweet deal"...they just don't make the extremely short list of people that I buy for.  I doubt your kids will be the "only" ones that don't give the teacher a gift.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I think handmade gifts matter more nothing outrageously expensive.  DD made her teacher an ornament for holidays and then a magnet for mothers day.  Her teacher is single with no children but treated everyone like family.  This year i am thinking a small basket with hand sanitizer, anti bacterial lotion etc for her teacher since there is a 20+ age difference between the 2 teachers.

CallxMexMama
by Lisa on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with your husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy_M
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I do every year.  This year they are getting flower bulbs.  Last year I made candy and some cute flower pens.  I have also done a starbucks giftcard, walmart gift card, classroom supplies, ornaments, the list goes on...LOL 

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I let the kids pick out either a mini lotion/body spray set or decorative cookie mix.

I don't think your husband is necessarily wrong, to get the teacher a gift is above and beyond, not a requirement. Based on my experience, your children would likely not be the only ones to not bring a gift in. 

mimismomma123
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM
2 moms liked this
My husband too. I've learned to just do and not mention it. But all do all the money thing pay bills do Xmas shopping. As long as he get his spending each week and there's food on the table he doest ask so I don't tell
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
loisl25
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Yeah, I may do the cranberry hootycreek jars again this year.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I think handmade gifts matter more nothing outrageously expensive.  DD made her teacher an ornament for holidays and then a magnet for mothers day.  Her teacher is single with no children but treated everyone like family.  This year i am thinking a small basket with hand sanitizer, anti bacterial lotion etc for her teacher since there is a 20+ age difference between the 2 teachers.

specialwingz
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

When my kids were in school, they gave gifts only to teachers that really meant something to them.  Giving gifts should be something that comes from the heart.  Not because you don't want to be the only parent that didn't make their child give a gift to the teacher.  In this economy, it's hard enough supplying for one's own family.  Much less every teacher they ever have.  And, to be honest, like my girlfriend, who is a teacher says, what on earth is a teacher to do with all those gifts they get from all those kids every single year of their careers???

Seriously, unless it's a special teacher or the child insists on their own, I'm with your dh on this.

ZsMommy
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:30 PM

That's sad...I appreciate my daughter's teacher's very much (especially since I have a special needs child). It's not how much you put out-anything-even a card shows appreciation.

Paperfishies
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Honestly, I don't think it's important to get teachers a gift, perhaps a handmade card or something...I get my daughter's teachers gift cards to Target or Starbucks but we are financially able to do so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)