Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Gahhhhh Telemarketers and Credit Bureaus!

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM
  • 15 Replies

I changed my voicemail to me and my son saying our names in hopes that it will ward off the stinkin' telemarketers and credit bureau that is calling for someone by the name of Helen Birsche because I can guarantee every single company calling my number (that I've recently changed for the 6th time this year because SOMEONE always ends up calling the number from a bill collector or telemarketing office!) that nobody by that name lives here! My phone company also does the # change for free because I keep telling them how many times they call, and how many times it shows up on my bill with call tracing. 

Is there any foolproof way other than simply ignoring the number to prevent these annoying ass people from calling? Do you think the VM change will help? LOL.

The phone company said if the voicemail thing doesn't work to *57 it and have the police contact them and warn them of being charged with harassment.

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM

You've changed your number SIX times this year alone and each time they keep calling for Helen?

Odd

have you tried picking up the phone and telling them no helen here, Do not call.

or getting ur number unlisted?

Mocking.Jay
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:12 PM

No no, six times because telemarketers and credit companies calling for different people. Last number, it was a drunk guy asking for Trisha. I kept telling him to stop calling and he would get all pissy so I said I was gonna call the cops (had his # written down). He still called and left VM saying he was gonna come to my place and get Trisha and that I need to stop picking up for her lmao. Fucken annoying. I normally do not answer long distance calls, but the # this guy was calling from was local and it could have been anyone like my optometrist or my son's dr's offices (dental, pediatrician, speech therapy, etc.) Otherwise, I'd have let the damn phone ring. The company does it for free though unless you cannot provide proof of harassment.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

You've changed your number SIX times this year alone and each time they keep calling for Helen?

Odd

have you tried picking up the phone and telling them no helen here, Do not call.

AMBG825
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes there is. If you know the number is a creditor or a telemarketer answer the phone with a business welcome. Thank you for calling Mockingjay's answering service. How may I direct your call? When they ask for Helen Birsche you say "I'd love to assist you. May I have your credit card number please?" They WILL ask why. That's when you say "Well you've called a number that deals in telephone assistance. We charge by the minute with a minimum of 10 min increments at $10/min. May I have your credit card number please?" 

Usually about the 3rd or 4th time you ask for their credit card they hang up and don't call back. 

Mocking.Jay
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM

LMAO that's great!!! They don't seem to listen when I tell them "please do not call here. There is no one by the name of Helen who lives here. We JUST got our # changed so please stop harassing our home."

Quoting AMBG825:

Yes there is. If you know the number is a creditor or a telemarketer answer the phone with a business welcome. Thank you for calling Mockingjay's answering service. How may I direct your call? When they ask for Helen Birsche you say "I'd love to assist you. May I have your credit card number please?" They WILL ask why. That's when you say "Well you've called a number that deals in telephone assistance. We charge by the minute with a minimum of 10 min increments at $10/min. May I have your credit card number please?" 

Usually about the 3rd or 4th time you ask for their credit card they hang up and don't call back. 

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM

wow you seem to have no luck with numbers.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

No no, six times because telemarketers and credit companies calling for different people. Last number, it was a drunk guy asking for Trisha. I kept telling him to stop calling and he would get all pissy so I said I was gonna call the cops (had his # written down). He still called and left VM saying he was gonna come to my place and get Trisha and that I need to stop picking up for her lmao. Fucken annoying. I normally do not answer long distance calls, but the # this guy was calling from was local and it could have been anyone like my optometrist or my son's dr's offices (dental, pediatrician, speech therapy, etc.) Otherwise, I'd have let the damn phone ring. The company does it for free though unless you cannot provide proof of harassment.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Odd

Mocking.Jay
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I don't! But my aunt said all the people who call, she ignores. But I can't ignore local calls. And nobody I know or am close to lives LD so I have no problem ignoring the LD #s but it's when they riiiiiiiiing and riiiiiiiiiiing and riiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. Then a few hours later: riiiiiiiiing riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing for like 2 minutes straight. Like come on! 

I DO have the worst luck!!! I really do lmfao.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

wow you seem to have no luck with numbers.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Odd

AMBG825
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM

We would get them all the time at work and we were on the Do Not Call list. reporting them didn't help. Telling them not to call didn't help so we started messing with them. 

the all time best one was when I answered the phone "Heather's house of whores. Would you like blonde, brunette or red head." 

Or you can tell them you don't have her home number but you have her business line. It's 800.665.1614. (Call it. You'll laugh hysterically) We found that number because one of our work lines used to be the same but instead of 800 it was 855. People would accidentally dial 800 all the time then call us to yell at us for them dialing the wrong number.  

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

LMAO that's great!!! They don't seem to listen when I tell them "please do not call here. There is no one by the name of Helen who lives here. We JUST got our # changed so please stop harassing our home."

Quoting AMBG825:

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I got the same problem with my phone.  I get all sorts of dumb fucks calling me.  I get one every now and then.  It's a automated message. Congratulations.  You won a Jeep Cherokee.  You entered a contest at a theater, restaurant or bla bla bla.  I never entered no contest for a vehicle.   I get one saying this is Card Member Services.  Something to lower your interest rate on your credit card balance.  I have no balance on a credit card.  I verbally told a person to stop calling. Take this number off their list.  We are on Do Not Call.  I've even had the Jehova's call me on the phone.  I have a outgoing voicemail message. You have reached then our names.  We can't come to the phone now. Leave a message. If your a telemarketor, solicitor, solicitor looking for a donation, religous missionary or political solicitor. We are on do not call. Take us off your list and stop calling. That don't help.   When the Jehova's called. They left a message saying we're not soliciting anything. We want to remind you to read your bible. Yes they were soliciting something.  Religion.   Oh I got a call from a collections agency. Asking if I could take a message and leave it for a neighbor.  How a collections agency got our number. I don't know.   I said who is message for.  Who are you.  They said for a guy who lived 2 houses from us. But moved out of the house. Owing the landlord rent.   When I realized who was calling.  I said I don't take messages for people I don't know.  From collections agencys.   Never heard from them again.

Mocking.Jay
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:04 PM

They don't even call, they just come to my door, and asking to see "the child". I tell em "One step in this house and I will call the cops." Fucking pedos.

I have tried this new vm. I even got my son to say his name, and I said if you're a TM or a CB, please stop calling or I'll open up a complaint with my local police dept.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I got the same problem with my phone.  I get all sorts of dumb fucks calling me.  I get one every now and then.  It's a automated message. Congratulations.  You won a Jeep Cherokee.  You entered a contest at a theater, restaurant or bla bla bla.  I never entered no contest for a vehicle.   I get one saying this is Card Member Services.  Something to lower your interest rate on your credit card balance.  I have no balance on a credit card.  I verbally told a person to stop calling. Take this number off their list.  We are on Do Not Call.  I've even had the Jehova's call me on the phone.  I have a outgoing voicemail message. You have reached then our names.  We can't come to the phone now. Leave a message. If your a telemarketor, solicitor, solicitor looking for a donation, religous missionary or political solicitor. We are on do not call. Take us off your list and stop calling. That don't help.   When the Jehova's called. They left a message saying we're not soliciting anything. We want to remind you to read your bible. Yes they were soliciting something.  Religion.  

Mocking.Jay
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

LMAO house of whores. That's fucking hilarious! I might try that. My dad also said to answer in an asian accent and say a made up asian cuisine place's name.

Quoting AMBG825:

We would get them all the time at work and we were on the Do Not Call list. reporting them didn't help. Telling them not to call didn't help so we started messing with them. 

the all time best one was when I answered the phone "Heather's house of whores. Would you like blonde, brunette or red head." 

Or you can tell them you don't have her home number but you have her business line. It's 800.665.1614. (Call it. You'll laugh hysterically) We found that number because one of our work lines used to be the same but instead of 800 it was 855. People would accidentally dial 800 all the time then call us to yell at us for them dialing the wrong number.  

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Quoting AMBG825:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)