Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Never do a good deed!

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:40 PM
  • 17 Replies
Ok not really but holy crap if you call the cops because a crime is being committed be prepared for them to hunt you down for years!
My husband was at the mall with a friend when he was 15 (he's 32 now) he saw some guy throwing an elderly man out of his car and called 911. About 6 years later he was summoned to Court to testify against this guy in a murder trial because later after he drove off he pushed the old lady out she got caught in the seat belt and he drug her. It was very sad hubs didn't see that part but they wanted him to identify the guy. Well 6 years a hair cut and suit changes a guys appearance quite a bit hubs said he thought it was the guy and that they where not really close enough at the time to see his face well. He took time off work to go to the trial that kept getting postponed it ended up being a total of 6 days he took off before he finally testified.
Well today the da comes to my door looking for hubs!! The guy appealed and now they want hubs to testify again. The problem is the trial date is a day he will be out of town for work it's a big job and he can't just not go. I don't know how it's going to work out but I know his boss will not be happy if he has to send someone else out on this job because of this ugh!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:45 PM
That stinks!! Sorry Mama!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Those people hunted him down! We have moved and he has had 4 different jobs since then.

Quoting Ktina11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM

If they subpeona him, he has no choice but to go.  And, his employer can't punish him, as DH could go to jail for ignoring a subpeona.  Call them up, tell them to get a subpeona and explain that he can't be missing work.  They can't change the court date, but if they follow proper procedures to get DH to the trial DH cannot get in trouble at work.

BTW, what kind of boss wouldn't understand being asked to tesitfy in a murder trial?  Seems like a pretty legit excuse if ever there was one...

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I know its an inconvience but if it were your grandmother, who was murdered, Im sure you would appreciate someone being bothered to testify to keep her murderer in jail.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Of course they hunted him down.  Some monster out there happily dragged an old woman along the pavement until she died so he could steal the car or some other lame reason.  He could do the same to some young teenage boy down the road, or a pregnant mother with her kids strapped in the backseat watching.  He's already demonstrated a complete lack of respect for people's property and lives.  Your DH is a key part of keeping that monster behind bars, whether he likes it or not.  I would hunt down anybody to help me put away and keep away the man who killed my Grandmother/mother!

Quoting LCWAmommy:

Those people hunted him down! We have moved and he has had 4 different jobs since then.

Quoting Ktina11:

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM
It's not that he will get in trouble but if he has to go on that date (last time he took 6 different days off and the trial kept getting postponed) then he misses out on overtime that we need. They are not going to pay him to take off work. I'm not saying he shouldn't do it but his job isn't something he can just leave for part of the day either. He will be working in the middle of nowhere for 2 weeks and this date falls right in the middle of when he's going to be away. So that means he can't do the job which means lots of missed overtime that we need and then if it goes like last time he's going to go down there for them to tell him it got postponed and set another date. We need the overtime it's not like he's close it's a 4.5 hour drive from where he will be working to here

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

If they subpeona him, he has no choice but to go.  And, his employer can't punish him, as DH could go to jail for ignoring a subpeona.  Call them up, tell them to get a subpeona and explain that he can't be missing work.  They can't change the court date, but if they follow proper procedures to get DH to the trial DH cannot get in trouble at work.

BTW, what kind of boss wouldn't understand being asked to tesitfy in a murder trial?  Seems like a pretty legit excuse if ever there was one...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Oh I completely understand but if its anything like last time he's going to bypass a job that will be paying a lot of overtime to be told the trial was postponed

Quoting FooLynRoo:

I know its an inconvience but if it were your grandmother, who was murdered, Im sure you would appreciate someone being bothered to testify to keep her murderer in jail.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Ask the da to do a continuance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Did he talk to the DA in charge? Can he be on call incase they need him?

Quoting LCWAmommy:

Oh I completely understand but if its anything like last time he's going to bypass a job that will be paying a lot of overtime to be told the trial was postponed

Quoting FooLynRoo:

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Ok you know what there is no reason to jump on anyone's case. It's a crappy situation all around. But we do have a family that needs Te money that my husband makes from going to work. It's not like he was trying to hide from them or anything he went to the first trial and tried to help as best he could he didn't get paid for the time he took off then the trial was over they thanked him and he went about his life like normal. We knew nothing of another trial until this lady showed up at our door today

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Of course they hunted him down.  Some monster out there happily dragged an old woman along the pavement until she died so he could steal the car or some other lame reason.  He could do the same to some young teenage boy down the road, or a pregnant mother with her kids strapped in the backseat watching.  He's already demonstrated a complete lack of respect for people's property and lives.  Your DH is a key part of keeping that monster behind bars, whether he likes it or not.  I would hunt down anybody to help me put away and keep away the man who killed my Grandmother/mother!

Quoting LCWAmommy:

Quoting Ktina11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)