Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What women used for pads/tampons before modern times? For some reason I have always wondered. Especially Native American women, poor women, or those who live outside of "civilization". Maybe I'm just weird. lol

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Replies (41-50):
MommyKir
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:39 PM

this exactly. i am half native american and my mother's family still does this i believe. my mom used to tell me about certain herbs that are good for certain things its actually still around alot like lavender for relaxation. when you have a fever to sweat it out or sit in cool water(streams way back when) you would be surprised how much of what people to today stemmed from back then and is still around. and as for tampons natural sponges, pads were fur hides or grass with hide underwear if they didn't have that fur to absorb it... and other cultures they remained in bed on a cloth until it was over...

Quoting kjfamily:

Herbs.. There was always a "medicine " man around or a woman. Natural medicine has been around way before "western" medicine.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

although I have wondered how they got of bacterial infections , uti's things of that nature, without antibiotics.

Brnda
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I just had a baby a few weeks ago and that same crossed my mind, I assume they prbly used rags...maybe.

dkrmlr
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Yes and I've found many answers for this from leaves to cotton or fur on a stick, you wouldn't believe some of the things they used way back in the day, or what they used as birth control. (Ex: turtle shells, drinking mercury and many more) 

specialwingz
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:31 PM

It was just a simple garter belt.  Only it had a tab in the front and back to hold the ends of the Kotex pads.  They hadn't designed the sticky ones yet.  LOL.  So the outer lining extended past the ends to be slipped into the little catches.

Quoting MrsApple:

Yeah,women before the "modern days" had it BAD! Ask your mom about what she had to use!My mom told me horror stories of a belt thing they had to wear,lol.

nicole6870
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually just read this whole post. Lol. I'd never really thought about it until now but found all the replies strangely interesting. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nerdymom28
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Congratulations!!

Quoting Brnda:

I just had a baby a few weeks ago and that same crossed my mind, I assume they prbly used rags...maybe.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM

In some of the uncivilized tribes throughout the world, the women who were menstruating together (you know what they say about women synching up...lol), would go off into the woods for the timeframe of their menses.  It was believed by the men that the women were "unclean" during this time.  Therefore, sent away.  After their "time" was over and they returned to the village, their spirits were cleansed by the local "doctor" of the tribe.

I read about this in National Geographic when I was young.

laughingsqua125
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM

they used possibley cut up bedsheets & kept close check on their business

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM

My mom said it was a PAIN to deal with and pretty uncomfortable.I'd hate to have to deal with it,lol.

Quoting specialwingz:

It was just a simple garter belt.  Only it had a tab in the front and back to hold the ends of the Kotex pads.  They hadn't designed the sticky ones yet.  LOL.  So the outer lining extended past the ends to be slipped into the little catches.

Quoting MrsApple:

Yeah,women before the "modern days" had it BAD! Ask your mom about what she had to use!My mom told me horror stories of a belt thing they had to wear,lol.

alwayskk
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM

There were all different types of products.

In some places, women just stayed in bed with extra/special sheets underneath them for as long as they were bleeding. That sounds like a nightmare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN