Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Becoming lactose intolerant. Help diagnose me!

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am almost 28, and just recently I have noticed that when I eat dairy, my stomach goes crazy.  (rolling, gassy, might even have a loose stool)  I stopped eating cereal years ago.  I thought that it was just cause I didn't like it, but now I realize its possibly because the milk agitates my stomach.  I got some almond milk today at the store, and am going to try that.

Has this happened to anyone?  Have you became lactose intolerant later in life, or is it something else? How did you adapt?  Can you still use butter?  (I know all sorts of silly questions.)

I just realized this about 2 weeks ago, and really just kept an eye on it.

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrystalDawn2506
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM

The same thing happened to me earlier this year right before I turned 30. I always have been "sensitive" to certain dairy products but avoided them during childhood etc. But now I can't drink even a sip of milk without having an allergic reaction. I buy the vanilla almond milk its awesome tastes great!! I cook with the unsweetened almond milk as well . So I am sure you will have success and like the almond milk. Just be looking for Non-Dairy , Lactose free foods that will help ease your issues. 

jiffypop2207
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM
I had noticed the same thing with myself, I just drink,coconut milk on my cereal and try to avoid dairy when I can
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CrystalDawn2506
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Also look to see if your store offers the same products just in store brand names its cheaper on your wallet that way.

nurbabe82
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:39 PM

That happened to me. I was in my early 20's, and never had any issues before, moved out of mom's house. Started getting 2% milk and then one day my husband (bf at the time) gets milk, gets whole milk and it threw my stomach into a fit. Ever since then any diary messes with me. Now I can eat cereal, and the little bit of milk I take in with eating doesn't do anything but I can't drink the left over milk in the bowl. I have used the almond milk and it tastes fine and doesn't give me any of the stomach issues.

mom2devin11005
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM

My husband became lactose intollerant in his teens and we just discovered our 1 year old daughter is also lactose intollerant. It's not the worst thing in the world to have happen it just takes some getting used to and lots of label reading for awhile. Yoplait makes a really good lactose free yogurt, lactaid makes cottage cheese, Bryers makes a good lactose free ice cream. We also just found out that colby-jack cheese is technically lactose free from the way its processed and learned that  it doesn't bother either my husband or daughter. As for butter you need to buy Earth Best... it's not horrible tasting, it tastes a lot like margarine. Just watch out for prepared foods, salad dressings, breads.... they all have milk or milk byproducts in them... Good Luck and if you need more idea's or info feel free to ask me.

dandylynes
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Yes, it's happened t me and it's only with some dairy products.  Especially if it's something mixed with sugar.  I get rumbly and mildly gassy.  Not enough to stop though.  But things like cereal with milk, cheesecake, ice cream all make my stomach mildly churn.

armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:38 PM

*raises hand* When I was about 21, I noticed that my body was slowly rejecting my breakfast shakes in the morning. By the time I was 23-24, I decided to try Silk instead of milk, and I haven't gone back. I can cook with milk, but if I were to have mac and cheese, pizza, or anything else with heavy amounts of dairy, I simply take a pill called Lactaid. I take it immediately before eating, and it absorbs the gas that normally would make me (and everyone else) miserable. Sometimes, a tall glass of lactose free milk still bothers me, so I try to drink chocolate Silk if I want to have a glass of something. When we move out of my parent's house, I will be able to buy more Silk and lactose free cheeses (whoever decided to make that is a genius!), because I'm the only one in the house that likes the taste.

Pnukey
by Jennifer on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Sure, I became lactose intolerant later in life. I only eat dairy at home, because it's so tasty, I don't want to give it up and my family won't snub me because I get gassy.

sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Something similar happened tp me after my hysterectomy...I developed an intolerance to eggs. But just when I try to eat things that have eggs as a main ingredient (omelets, egg sandwiches, scrambled) and not when they are in baked goods. I also developed a sensitivity to certain dairy products, mostly milk, cream, and yogurt. It's awful.

demonica29
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

FYI, Kraft American Cheese Slices are lactose free.  I know, crazy, but it's true.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)