Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

herbal sleep almost sent me.to the hospital!

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM
  • 8 Replies
I am coming down of a full blown panic attack, almost called hubby at work, I have trouble sleeping and melatonin wasn't helping so I ordered this herb I saw on Dr Oz called lemon balm extract, its supposed to relax you! 15 min before bed I mixed it with water laid down and wham, heart racing short of breath, I called a relative and just paced the floors trying to get over it, finally remembered I had a very old Xanax and took that, this craps going in garbage it did opposite to me! Came real close to going to hospital, and I did read reviews before buying and they were good
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Are you currently on any medications for anxiety?  Herbs can counteract them.   I can not take benedryl for sleep since it actually gives me heart palpitations and hyper as a bunny on cat nip.

joshlor2
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:34 PM
My kids are like that. All the medications they have ever taken, the side effects have always very opposite what they are suppose to be. Benadryl knocks me out, but makes them hyper.
misspixie67
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
No I'm not taking anything, I haven't had a panic attack in 6 yrs, I kept thinking the worst that I was poisoned and that the attack worse
misspixie67
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM
If it wasn't for that one stashed emergency xanax I would've gone to hospital
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Question

Valerian: A safe and effective herbal sleep aid?

I read that the herbal supplement valerian can help you fall asleep if you have insomnia. Is valerian safe, and does it actually work?

Answer

from Timothy Morgenthaler, M.D.

Results from several small or short-term studies indicate that valerian — a tall, flowering grassland plant — may reduce the amount of time it takes to fall asleep and help you sleep better. However, not all studies have shown valerian to be effective, and there may be some dangers.

Before you decide to take a valerian supplement for insomnia, consider the following:

• Medication may not be the answer for insomnia. Cognitive behavioral therapy — for instance, replacing worries about not sleeping with positive thoughts — may be more effective and safer than medications for dealing with chronic insomnia.
  • Product claims may be misleading. Be a smart consumer and do a little homework. Don't just rely on a product's marketing. Look for objective, research-based information to evaluate a product's claims. Of the many valerian species, only the carefully processed roots of the most widely studied species, Valeriana officinalis, are known to contain the most effective mix of active compounds.
  • Dosage is unclear. Valerian seems to be most effective after you take it regularly for two or more weeks. Since there have been relatively few rigorous studies involving valerian, it's not clear what dose is most effective or for how long you should take a particular dose.
  • Possible side effects exist. Although valerian is thought to be fairly safe, headache, dizziness, gastrointestinal problems and sleeplessness can occur. Valerian may not be safe if you're pregnant or breast-feeding. If you have liver disease, avoid taking valerian.
  • Drug interactions are possible. Valerian may increase the effects of other sleep aids. It also increases the sedative effect of other depressants, such as alcohol and diazepam (Valium). Check with your doctor if you're thinking of taking a valerian supplement to make sure that it won't interact with any other medications you're taking.

Ultimately, persistent insomnia indicates a problem, such as a medical or psychological condition or poor sleep habits. If you have persistent insomnia, talk to your doctor about possible causes and treatment strategies or consider getting an evaluation at a sleep medicine center that's accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/valerian/AN02046

misspixie67
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM
This. Isn't valarium.though its lemon balm extract
MixedCooke
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:11 AM

MELATONIN--our bodies make it but they also have it and it does help with sleep issues most of the time.  St Johns Wort helps with mild depression and anxiety.

misspixie67
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:29 AM
Melatonin doesn't help me, I've already tried that :-(

Quoting MixedCooke:

MELATONIN--our bodies make it but they also have it and it does help with sleep issues most of the time.  St Johns Wort helps with mild depression and anxiety.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN