Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

the amount of money they charge for healthcare is unreal!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
  • 6 Replies

On Halloween I had to take my dd to the ER because she couldn't breathe.  When i get there I find out that there's a screw up somewhere and I don't have insurance for her.  The insurance company doesn't understand why  she was cancelled since they kept taking my payments even after the date they said she was cancelled.  Not that we ever got any letter saying she was cancelled.  So the hospital is billing me. to walk in the ER they are charging me $225.  that's not for doctors or anything just for walking in and filing out a paper.  then they are also charging me $150 for them to discharge her.   For the medicine they gave her while she was in the Emergency room which was 3 breathing treatments and 2 doses of a steroid  is $279.00   I have yet to get the bill for the meds they gave her while she was admitted.   Which she was admitted @ 9pm on a Wednesday (10/31)  for the nurse to place the albuterol into the machine thingy is another $19.00    Another $940 for spending the day in the ER.   She was admitted 9pm on Wednesday and she was discharged Friday just after 5pm.  That bill is $12,853.56 (which is separate from other bills)     $300 for the lung doctor to do the initial consult.  I haven't gotten the rest of the actual doctors bills.  Oh and the meds for when she was discharged  was over $200  

Oh and as of today we still don't have insurance.  And unless they fix it in the next 2 months they wont' take care of the bills and it will all be out of pocket.  uggggg okay vent over

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
piwife
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Do you have proof you were paying the insurence company after they cancel? If so take them to court.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joeynwillsmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Yeah I'd be taking the insurance company to court over that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Quoting piwife:

Do you have proof you were paying the insurence company after they cancel? If so take them to court.

yeah i have proof and they  acknowledge that I paid it and that they don't understand whats wrong.  It has to be a computer issue somewhere but they just need to fix it already.

piwife
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Well the hospital is not going to be mean about you not paying the bill right away. Go talk to who ever is in charge of billing at the hospital and talk to them an explain your situation. When I was 10 I was in the hospital for a week. my mom worked a plan with the hospital. And payed slowly. But yeah I would still take them to court. How many paymets did you make after they cancel?

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting piwife:

yeah i have proof and they  acknowledge that I paid it and that they don't understand whats wrong.  It has to be a computer issue somewhere but they just need to fix it already.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heybooboo
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Hugs.  I hope they get it fixed soon.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

their records indicate she was dropped on August 31st.  The bill was always due the 5th of the month but i always sent it in before the 1st.  They got Septembers payment around the 29th of august. they got October's payment around the 29th in September and they got Novembers payment just before I brought her in.  I explained it to them when she was admitted.  they even told me that i qualified for a reduction on the meds that they gave her for when she was home.  I was suppose to pay half but I had to pay the full price.  And because i went thru their pharmacy (expecting a discount) i ended up paying more. 

I did contact the social worker that came to see us when she was in the hospital who is helping me deal with the hospital and trying to help me get a financial aid credit to help with at least some of the bills.  But we'll see.

Quoting piwife:

Well the hospital is not going to be mean about you not paying the bill right away. Go talk to who ever is in charge of billing at the hospital and talk to them an explain your situation. When I was 10 I was in the hospital for a week. my mom worked a plan with the hospital. And payed slowly. But yeah I would still take them to court. How many paymets did you make after they cancel?

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting piwife:

Do you have proof you were paying the insurance company after they cancel? If so take them to court.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)