Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Am I Wrong? What would you do? PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM
  • 32 Replies

Okay so I was super impressed with myself because I found a good deal on a bunch of potato heads and accessories for my son (he is 3). With the $4 shipping the total was $34 and it came with 8 Potato heads and a crap ton of little parts...

Then I got an e-mail that said:

Hello. I shipped your Potato Heads today. The P.O. says that you can expect them on Wednesday (it took two boxes; they are bulky, even though I packed many small pieces inside the bodies of the Potato Heads.) Unfortunately, the Ebay estimate of shipping at $4.00 was very low; I had to pay $19.75, total (including delivery confirmation). Would you mind remitting the difference, or at least splitting it with me?

The only thing I could do was respond with:

I am sorry, but had I known the shipping would be that high I wouldn't have bid on it. We are very low on funds right now and this is a Christmas gift for one of our kids. When I was looking for a deal, I took shipping cost into consideration.

Under normal circumstances I would be happy too, but considering our financial situation right now I can't.

I don't really know what to say, other than I am sorry I can't help with that.

That is the truth. The whole reason I went to e-bay looking for good deals on stuff was so that my kids would have a decent Christmas without us missing a payment on a bill or something. We are living off of just my salary right now (DH is almost done with school) and we just bought a house. I wouldn't have bet on the stuff if I knew the shipping would be that high....

What would you have done in my situation?
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Id done the same response.

Trina.mhmm
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I would not worry. I ebay all the time and if the shipping is a little higher, I would never ask the buyer to pay the difference! They shouldnt have nuched them together and been more prepared. Do not stress its their fault.

jas_momof2
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM

It's the sellers fault...  You are not accountable.  If she cancels the sale, ding her for a non performing seller...

tennisgal
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM

offered to go half with her. it was only $6 more than you already spent, right. 

StrawberryCool
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

if you look, there should be a link that will say "free shipping" 

i always click on that.

jas_momof2
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Why? 

As a seller (if you read everything you agree to before selling) she should have figured out the shipping cost and included that in the price if it was too high.  I think she has some nerve asking the op for more money.

If you agree on a price of a car, sign the dotted line and right as the dealer is handing you the keys he tells you he forgot to charge you for something - are you really going to pay?

Quoting tennisgal:

tennisgal
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:11 PM

we're not talking about buying a car. we are talking about two moms buying toys from one another. she asked what *I* would do and I would split the cost with her. 

Quoting jas_momof2:

Why? 

As a seller (if you read everything you agree to before selling) she should have figured out the shipping cost and included that in the price if it was too high.  I think she has some nerve asking the op for more money.

If you agree on a price of a car, sign the dotted line and right as the dealer is handing you the keys he tells you he forgot to charge you for something - are you really going to pay?

Quoting tennisgal:

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:11 PM

You aren't wrong, I would have done the same thing. I have not gone through with many orders once I get to the shipping & handling section and realize it's just not a deal anymore.

jas_momof2
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:15 PM

This isn't a garage sale - this is Ebay...  When the bid was made, the contract was signed.  The seller is trying to change the deal AFTER it was agreed upon.

I was just trying to figure out "why" you would let her get away with that...

Quoting tennisgal:

we're not talking about buying a car. we are talking about two moms buying toys from one another. she asked what *I* would do and I would split the cost with her. 

Quoting jas_momof2:

Why? 

Quoting tennisgal:

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM
She should have calculated first but people make mistakes, I personally would split it with her. And extra $6 isn't too big of a deal and she may be selling things so her kids can have a Christmas, too. Kwim? That's a $15 mistake, HERS yes, but that $15 could be her kid's only present this year. If I could I'd split it cuz it's be the kind thing to do.

Are you in the wrong if you don't? No. It is technically her fault.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)