Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What type of Christmas tree do you have/like? Fake or real? Why?

Posted by   + Show Post

I always had a real Christmas tree when I was married...but always felt bad for the waste of cutting down a perfectly good tree.  Now I am divorced, and got a fake one...I love it because you can re-adjust the braches to accomidate an ornament that isn't fitting too well!!!

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:47 AM
Replies (31-40):
StrawberryCool
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM
REAL.

Fake are ugly, and not holiday spirit.

And if you do it right itll look fine! Ive never had a tree look uneven before.

And I love the smell and look.

Also real trees are fire protected depending in where you get them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Peaceful.chaos
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Fake. I'm too worried about the possible fire hazards associated with a real one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollinicole
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM
same

Quoting opinionatedmom:

fake because of allergies. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I used to love having real trees, but as I've gotten older, both my allergies and my conscience won't allow for a real tree.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Fake. The real one is too much of a pita.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this

We get live trees so that they can be replanted once we are done with them. Live trees also produce a lot less needles on the floor, which doesn't bother me since we have tile, but it's nice to not have to deal with it.

I will never own a fake tree because I don't like the chemicals used to make them.

AjCeCeMom
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:57 PM
We have always had real. I considered buying a fake one this year because I'm sick of the mess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

I will never own a fake tree because I don't like the chemicals used to make them.

Fake trees are unhealthy!     With the lead and PVC, etc, I don't think that's good....
:-(

doulala
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Quoting sucker4myloves:

I used to love having real trees, but as I've gotten older, both my allergies and my conscience won't allow for a real tree.

Aw don't sweat that!    You can learn about the dangers of fake trees to help you feel better.
Can you wash/hose off a real one prior to using it?

While there is no crystal clear answer to the age-old “real versus fake” Christmas tree debate, most environmentalists, “tree huggers” among them, would agree that real trees are the better choice, at least from a personal and public health standpoint. Some might make a case for fake trees, because they are re-used every year and thus don’t generate the waste of their real counterparts. But fake trees are made with polyvinyl chloride (or PVC, otherwise known as vinyl), one of the most environmentally offensive forms of non-renewable, petroleum-derived plastic.

Fake Christmas Trees and Cancer
Furthermore, several known carcinogens, including dioxin, ethylene dichloride and vinyl chloride, are generated during the production of PVC, polluting neighborhoods located near factory sites. Most of those factory sites are actually in China, where 85 percent of the fake trees sold in North America originate. Labor standards there don’t adequately protect workers from the dangerous chemicals they are handling.

Fake Christmas Trees and Other Health Problems
In addition to PVC, fake trees contain lead and other additives designed to make the otherwise rigid PVC more malleable. Unfortunately many of these additives have been linked to liver, kidney, neurological and reproductive system damage in lab studies on animals. The Children’s Health Environmental Coalition warns that fake trees “may shed lead-laced dust, which may cover branches or shower gifts and the floor below the tree.” So heed the advice of the label on your fake tree, which tells you to avoid inhaling or eating any dust or parts that may come loose.

The Drawbacks of Real Christmas Trees
The primary downside of real Christmas trees is that, because they are farmed as agricultural products, they often require repeated applications of pesticides over their typical eight-year lifecycles. Therefore, while they are growing--and then again once they are discarded--they may contribute to pollution of local watersheds. Beyond the run-off issue, the sheer numbers of trees that get discarded after every holiday can be a big waste issue for municipalities that aren’t prepared to mulch them for compost.

The Benefits and Care of Live Christmas Trees
The most eco-friendly way to enjoy a Christmas tree is to buy a live tree with its roots intact from a local grower, and then replant it in your yard once the holiday has passed. However, since trees are dormant in the winter, live trees should spend no more than a week indoors lest they “wake up” and begin to grow again in the warmth of your home. If this happens there is a good chance the tree will not survive once it is returned to the cold winter outdoors and replanted.

bellawomen
by Summer on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Fake. Because I think its wasteful to buy a real one and I am really allergic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN