Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think women can have it all?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think women can have it all?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 310

View Results

Is this really possible, or are we chasing something unattainable? Share your thoughts in the comments.

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Replies (11-20):
RoddaMom
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I think so :) I adopted 4 kids when I was 18 as well as got married. I am now 23 and I also have a biological son. I am three classes away from my bachelors degree and am almost done constructing my home office which I will see clients out of so I can stay home with my baby. Niether I or my husband are rich but we are hard working and love our family.

funnymommy71
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Above all, be true and good to yourself and then your family and then your work in my hierarchy of life is what I strive for.  This is my perception and goal, not wanting it all- prioritize it.  If Mommy is sick she can do none of the following>>>>> take care of the rest. 

Reepicheep.CSL
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Not at any level that is truly satisfying for any extended length of time. After a while you give priority to one aspect of your life while sacrificing something's in other aspects of your life.
I see it time after time with some of my best friends.
lexismom90
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Yes women can "have it all" it just depends on their definition of having it all. For some women no they will never have it all because all is not enough or because they don't want to put in the effort to get it all. For other women they will forever have it all because they are thrilled with what they have. For some "having it all" is simply having a loving husband, a roof over their head, and their kids love. For others "having it all" can be having the perfect family the perfect house the perfect car for them they may never have it all or they may have all they want.

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

Is this really possible, or are we chasing something unattainable? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
punchnpie
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM
No. But it would be nice..lol
kailu1835
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Is this from the parenting magazine?

I think women need to redefine what they want, and what is most important.  If a woman is a working mom, she has two jobs, being a parent, and being an employee.  One of the two is bound to suffer at some point (not saying routinely).  It is completely impossible to successfully completely balance the two, especially as the kid gets older, and gets involved in extracurriculars.  If you're a full time employee, you're going to end up missing some things in your kids lives.  If your a mom, you're going to have to make sacrifices at work, and maybe miss something as major as a great promotion, because you won't be available as often as needed.  I think women should make a choice.  Either be a mom, or be an employee.  Otherwise, be prepared to make sacrifices on one end or the other, if not both.

sunnyday05
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Having it all is subjective. A woman can have whatever she chooses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM

No. Absolutely not (however, I am assuming this question refers to domestic bliss, husband, career, family, etc).

EmmaZate
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not possible. Everytime you think you have it, something else explodes in your face. If its not one thing it's another.

And honestly, the woman who appears to have it all and have it all put together all the time is usually the one in the worst shape, but no one knows because she won't show it. She only cries when she's alone
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:36 AM

I voted yes, but I would qualify it by saying that women can have it all, but for most, not at the same time. Most women have to give and take at different points in their lives depending on what's most important to them at that given time.

For example, for ten years I really priotized my career. I went to graduate school and put work first. During this time, my husband and I purposely did NOT start a family because we knew that to have a baby then would mean I would have to compromise my professional goals, and I wasn't ready to do that.

When we had our daughter, I switched to a job with more flexible hours and less stress because I knew the job I was in before was not compatible (for me) with having a baby at home. For the next few years, I'll be making decisions primarily based on how compatible they are with being the mother of young children. When my kids are in elementary school, I fully expect to start my doctorate. I'm not going to do that right now because I want to be able to give it the time and focus that it deserves, and that time and focus is currently going to my daughter.

Every family is different; the key is to find what works for your family and make sure you have the support you need. To me, that's the definition of "having it all"--finding the balance that works for you and having the support to make it happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN