Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think women can have it all?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think women can have it all?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 310

View Results

Is this really possible, or are we chasing something unattainable? Share your thoughts in the comments.

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Replies (21-30):
MomTiara19
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Yes we can have it all just not all at one time.....because the overzealous multitasking can create burnout and cause you to crash and burn...lol..

busy mom

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:47 AM

I am a wife, mother, RN. I'm employed by a reliable, reputable hospital and have been for 22 years.

I have my health, and the health of my dh, and 2 sons. My parents, in-laws, nieces and nephew.

We're able to put a pretty nice roof over our heads, drive fairly nice cars, and do some pretty fun stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, I already have it all.

jhslove
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:54 AM

I would disagree with one thing in your wording--it's impossible to perfectly balance both at all times, yes. But a woman can balance work and family, not do either perfectly, and still do a relatively successful job at both--rewarding career (even if she might miss a promotion) and the love and respect of her kids (even if she isn't there for every single thing they do).

My mom always worked when we were kids. When we were little, she taught part-time, but she always worked. No, she wasn't there for every little thing. If I had a play at school where my part was "Tree #3" and it was at 10:30 on a workday, she couldn't always be there. But frankly, I didn't need her to be. I understood that her work was important to her, it was a big part of who she was, and I didn't want her to give that up so that she could be there to watch every single little thing I might ever do. For the big things, the things where I really needed a parent, she or my dad was always there. I don't have one memory of a time when I really needed someone when they weren't there for us. (They shared a lot of the childcare and domestic responsibilities, too. Like I said earlier, every family has to figure out what works for them.) She sacrificed in both areas and neither was perfect, but both were important to her so she found a way to make it work.

Quoting kailu1835:
 It is completely impossible to successfully completely balance the two, especially as the kid gets older, and gets involved in extracurriculars.  If you're a full time employee, you're going to end up missing some things in your kids lives.
Luisa621
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:14 AM
I believe we can. I believe I do. I work full tome in the field of my cjoice, I go to school, my house is always clean, we eat home cooked meals, it's not easy but for anyone who reau wants it, it can certainly be accomplished.
Zanny
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Absolutely.  Just like a man, with the proper support system behind you, a woman can have it all...

i know plenty of women, including myself, that have a husband, kids, a house, a career.  Everyone in the family has their jobs we are in charge of, and as long as everything & everyone does what they are supposed to do, Life runs smoothly

samurai_chica
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Nobody can ever have it all. They might think they have it all, but there is always something missing.

samurai_chica
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Now that i thought of it a bit harder, "having it all" probably means different things to different people.

Megan11587
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:19 AM
I have all I want
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweettea1985
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:19 AM
I am a mom, i work part time and go to school fulk time for my RN. What i dont have is down time for me.. Or time for family trips, etc. i graduate in april so i will hopefully "have it all" after that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:21 AM

noone can have it ALL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN