Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think women can have it all?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think women can have it all?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 310

View Results

Is this really possible, or are we chasing something unattainable? Share your thoughts in the comments.

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Replies (61-70):
christina0607
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Many families do these days, because we have to. Life has gotten so expensive that in order to physically have it all we need help...because we can't do it all.

I'm curious..what careers do you have that neither of you put them first?

Quoting mrsfitz05:

In our family, we do everything together. We financially provide together, we care for the children together, we care for the household together. That means neither of us HAVE to put our careers first.

Quoting christina0607:

Men have never tried to have it all. As a whole men have always been expected to put their career first. Their wives took care of the kids so they could.

Quoting mrsfitz05:

That depends on your definition of the concept. No one ever asks if MEN can have it all. It's funny how a man can have a powerful career, a golfing hobby, and still be raising a family. However, if a mom has a job then she isn't raising her children. Ahhh....CM judgement at it's finest.

I have 3 beautiful children that I love more than life, a wonderful husband who adores us & a career. My family does, has and will always come first but lucky for me, I don't have to make the choice between the 2. I can succeed in my job and still be there whenever my kids need me. Do I make choices that are influenced by having a family? Certainly. Would I walk away from my career if there came a time where that was what was best for our family? Yes, I would. But see, because I work, my husband also has the ability to put his family first before his job. It's the arrangement that works for us and makes us all happy. 

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

mama2gg
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM

So because I have everything I want , and can budge MY TIME correctly and you can't I AM WRONG please lady no it doesn't work like that cause you say so and NO I put in a normal amount of hours for a owner, I check my company, the paper work, talk to my employees, do all my state and federal information daily, I work on hours, COS, and all my paper work needed, i walk to floor and get to know my clients DAILY and STILL only work 4-6 hours a day (LESS THAT A FULL TIME WORKING MOM) IT'S CALLED budgeting time and NO MY BODY doesn't need that much sleep. just because YOU have to sleep 8 hours to feel rested doesn't mean EVERYONE has to everyone is different OH and I have time to do a DAILY hour workout WHILE pregnant as well guess I'm fucked hahaha.

I guess my body is just shit out of luck , sleeping till I wake on my own, working less than a full time working mom, being with my son and husband, working out, eating home cooked meals

YEAH im fucked alright hahah

Quoting christina0607:

these companies that you own, you must have to put many many hours into it. uinless you are an unseen owner, which is rare unless it's a fortune 500 company.

Oh and you may want to look into what the average person needs for sleep. the average person needs 7-9 hours a day to be highly functioning. so If you're only sleeping 5-6 I would say you are slearly not having it all...you are depriving yourself in order to burn your candle at both ends.

Quoting mama2gg:

We own two companies and handle jewelry sales and yes you can if you can budget your time my FAMILY had family time and my work has work time....

just everything is equal people only need 5-6 hours of sleep pick when you feel sleepy and sleep you have 18 hours in a day if you can't handle a life full of everything in 18 hours in a day you have bad organization skills doesn't mean its not possible!

Quoting christina0607:

I don't see how anyone can be successful in a career without putting their career first.

what is your career?

Quoting mama2gg:

I don't agree at all I have a career, a home,perfect husband, I do ALL the house work and cook, I work full time, I finished college, I have a son and a daughter on the way, we own our home. It's all about knowing how to balance it ALL equally with time and effort

Quoting christina0607:

Do you mean like a career, family and personal life?

Honestly, no. Ok well lets rephrase that, yes of course you can physically have all of these things, however I don't think it's possible to give 100% to all of them. You need to constantly choose between them and what comes first. Which unfortunately means a womans career will come first. Which to me, just isn't having it all.

Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I am working on it right now and I think you can with a good support system,  If its just you, I think someone will suffer most likely you.   

christina0607
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I have to wonder why you are getting so upset. Seems I hit sore spot with you....hmmm.

Quoting mama2gg:

So because I have everything I want , and can budge MY TIME correctly and you can't I AM WRONG please lady no it doesn't work like that cause you say so and NO I put in a normal amount of hours for a owner, I check my company, the paper work, talk to my employees, do all my state and federal information daily, I work on hours, COS, and all my paper work needed, i walk to floor and get to know my clients DAILY and STILL only work 4-6 hours a day (LESS THAT A FULL TIME WORKING MOM) IT'S CALLED budgeting time and NO MY BODY doesn't need that much sleep. just because YOU have to sleep 8 hours to feel rested doesn't mean EVERYONE has to everyone is different OH and I have time to do a DAILY hour workout WHILE pregnant as well guess I'm fucked hahaha

Quoting christina0607:

these companies that you own, you must have to put many many hours into it. uinless you are an unseen owner, which is rare unless it's a fortune 500 company.

Oh and you may want to look into what the average person needs for sleep. the average person needs 7-9 hours a day to be highly functioning. so If you're only sleeping 5-6 I would say you are slearly not having it all...you are depriving yourself in order to burn your candle at both ends.

Quoting mama2gg:

We own two companies and handle jewelry sales and yes you can if you can budget your time my FAMILY had family time and my work has work time....

just everything is equal people only need 5-6 hours of sleep pick when you feel sleepy and sleep you have 18 hours in a day if you can't handle a life full of everything in 18 hours in a day you have bad organization skills doesn't mean its not possible!

Quoting christina0607:

I don't see how anyone can be successful in a career without putting their career first.

what is your career?

Quoting mama2gg:

I don't agree at all I have a career, a home,perfect husband, I do ALL the house work and cook, I work full time, I finished college, I have a son and a daughter on the way, we own our home. It's all about knowing how to balance it ALL equally with time and effort

Quoting christina0607:

Honestly, no. Ok well lets rephrase that, yes of course you can physically have all of these things, however I don't think it's possible to give 100% to all of them. You need to constantly choose between them and what comes first. Which unfortunately means a womans career will come first. Which to me, just isn't having it all.

mrsfitz05
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM

He's a technical trainer and I'm a compensation analyst. Both professional jobs that also provide flexibility.

Anyone can have it all as long as they are happy with their choices - SAHM, WOHM, whatever we choose for our lives.

Quoting christina0607:

Many families do these days, because we have to. Life has gotten so expensive that in order to physically have it all we need help...because we can't do it all.

Quoting mrsfitz05:

In our family, we do everything together. We financially provide together, we care for the children together, we care for the household together. That means neither of us HAVE to put our careers first.

Quoting christina0607:

Men have never tried to have it all. As a whole men have always been expected to put their career first. Their wives took care of the kids so they could.

Quoting mrsfitz05:

That depends on your definition of the concept. No one ever asks if MEN can have it all. It's funny how a man can have a powerful career, a golfing hobby, and still be raising a family. However, if a mom has a job then she isn't raising her children. Ahhh....CM judgement at it's finest.

I have 3 beautiful children that I love more than life, a wonderful husband who adores us & a career. My family does, has and will always come first but lucky for me, I don't have to make the choice between the 2. I can succeed in my job and still be there whenever my kids need me. Do I make choices that are influenced by having a family? Certainly. Would I walk away from my career if there came a time where that was what was best for our family? Yes, I would. But see, because I work, my husband also has the ability to put his family first before his job. It's the arrangement that works for us and makes us all happy. 

Bethany

'Never be ashamed of the indignities to which love may someday reduce you. Worry instead that you may never love so deeply as to risk the ridicule of your countrymen" Roger Elwood

tinkerspell
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

can she teach me her ways lol 

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

I assume being a wife, mother and career woman. I think some can if you have that mind set. My best friend is just awesome she does it all. Its crazy how organize she is and just can do it all without lacking in areas. BTW she is a LPN that is still in school to become a RN, she is a great mom and a great wife, her house is always clean, they take trips. She can handle her time very well.

I couldnt I would go nuts lol.

save the date

mama2gg
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM

oh honey I'm not upset at all, I am feeling my baby girl kick away my son is s in front of me playing on the floor with flash cards, I have my two baby IG's  next to me, and its 10am on a TUS and I STILL don't have to be at work haha!!

Oh ps here is some info for you from the National Sleep Fondation Website

What the Research Says About Sleep Duration

The first thing experts will tell you about sleep is that there is no "magic number." Not only do different age groups need different amounts of sleep, but sleep needs are also individual. Just like any other characteristics you are born with, the amount of sleep you need to function best may be different for you than for someone who is of the same age and gender. While you may be at your absolute best sleeping seven hours a night, someone else may clearly need nine hours to have a happy, productive life

Quoting christina0607:

I have to wonder why you are getting so upset. Seems I hit sore spot with you....hmmm.

Quoting mama2gg:

So because I have everything I want , and can budge MY TIME correctly and you can't I AM WRONG please lady no it doesn't work like that cause you say so and NO I put in a normal amount of hours for a owner, I check my company, the paper work, talk to my employees, do all my state and federal information daily, I work on hours, COS, and all my paper work needed, i walk to floor and get to know my clients DAILY and STILL only work 4-6 hours a day (LESS THAT A FULL TIME WORKING MOM) IT'S CALLED budgeting time and NO MY BODY doesn't need that much sleep. just because YOU have to sleep 8 hours to feel rested doesn't mean EVERYONE has to everyone is different OH and I have time to do a DAILY hour workout WHILE pregnant as well guess I'm fucked hahaha

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting christina0607:

what is your career?

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting christina0607:

christina0607
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

See I have a hard time believing that any career where you are not the owner will have no problem with your putting your family first all the time. If my child were to say to me that he needed me home one morning, I am completely aware that my work environment wouldn't be happy with me just not coming into work. Generally it takes a lot of planning to make sure we can be there for our kids every time they want us there. When my sons baseball team has a surprise practice on a Tuesday at 4...with only 1 days notice, we have to work at finding a way to get him there. I've never held a job or advanced in a career by calling and saying....today I'm going to be with my child instead, I'll try to  make it tomorrow. It just doesn;t work that way.

there are always choices that have to be made. When you have a career you always have to make choices about what to put first.

You can tell me that you have that immense flexibility...but honestly I'm not going to believe you.

Quoting mrsfitz05:

He's a technical trainer and I'm a compensation analyst. Both professional jobs that also provide flexibility.

Anyone can have it all as long as they are happy with their choices - SAHM, WOHM, whatever we choose for our lives.

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting mrsfitz05:

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting mrsfitz05:

christina0607
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM

If you own the company...I would think you never have to be at work.

Your replies clearly show a person extremely upset.

what does that have to do with what you said ...you said "people only need 5-6 hours of sleep". you are wrong, that is not the average amount of sleep that "people" need. You can look up that up...since you ahve all this free time.

Quoting mama2gg:

oh honey I'm not upset at all, I am feeling my baby girl kick away my son is s in front of me playing on the floor with flash cards, I have my two baby IG's  next to me, and its 10am on a TUS and I STILL don't have to be at work haha!!

Oh ps here is some info for you from the National Sleep Fondation Website

What the Research Says About Sleep Duration

The first thing experts will tell you about sleep is that there is no "magic number." Not only do different age groups need different amounts of sleep, but sleep needs are also individual. Just like any other characteristics you are born with, the amount of sleep you need to function best may be different for you than for someone who is of the same age and gender. While you may be at your absolute best sleeping seven hours a night, someone else may clearly need nine hours to have a happy, productive life

mrsfitz05
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:09 AM

It's unfortunate that it doesn't work that way for everyone. Companies miss out on a lot of exemplary workers by not providing greater flexibility. I'm both lucky & worked hard to earn the advantages I have here.

Quoting christina0607:

See I have a hard time believing that any career where you are not the owner will have no problem with your putting your family first all the time. If my child were to say to me that he needed me home one morning, I am completely aware that my work environment wouldn't be happy with me just not coming into work. Generally it takes a lot of planning to make sure we can be there for our kids every time they want us there. When my sons baseball team has a surprise practice on a Tuesday at 4...with only 1 days notice, we have to work at finding a way to get him there. I've never held a job or advanced in a career by calling and saying....today I'm going to be with my child instead, I'll try to  make it tomorrow. It just doesn;t work that way.

there are alwasy choices that have to be made. Whe you have a career you always have to make choices about what to put first.

You can tell me that you ahve that immense flexibility...but honeslty I'm not going to believe you.

Quoting mrsfitz05:

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting mrsfitz05:

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting mrsfitz05:

Bethany

'Never be ashamed of the indignities to which love may someday reduce you. Worry instead that you may never love so deeply as to risk the ridicule of your countrymen" Roger Elwood

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)