Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

enough of " what did u buy for christmas" i wanna hear what traditions you share!! :)

Posted by   + Show Post
I see many posts talking about what people bought their kids for Christmas but I wanna hear your traditions. This year we are doing elf on the shelf and taking cookies and cards to the nursing home :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Replies (51-60):
1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Snowflake Factory!!! My son and I are from Northern Ontario Canada but we live in Phoenix Arizona. The only time we miss snow is at Christmas. A couple weeks before Christmas we gather paper doilies, foils, anything we can use to make cut out snowflakes. We add glitter glue and stickers and markers and all kinda of things. Hours are spent cutting and decorating paper snowflakes. We have hot chocolate made with egg nog, home made cookies and we sing along to Christmas music. Its a HUGE mess, glitter everywhere for days but its so worth it! This year our "babies" are really too old for this to be much fun so we are inviting the neighbors girls and the 2 girls I babysit over for the evening and our kids will pass on the joy of making snowflakes :)

This is our babies Diamond and Chris making snowflakes in 2009. They look so little still! *sigh*

A completed snowflake waiting to be hung up.

StrawberryCool
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Me and my brothers ex fiance started last year that we get together and make cookies...and we slipt them up evenly!

And then on Xmas eve I sit up and wrap all of Addisons presents and dhs as well!

I agree im over seeing how much ppl have spent....since when did Christmas become about how much you sepnt.
blazenangel5
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I love your snowflakes :) so much warmer and prettier. I live in Indiana so we get enough of the real thing...none so far this year :)

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

Snowflake Factory!!! My son and I are from Northern Ontario Canada but we live in Phoenix Arizona. The only time we miss snow is at Christmas. A couple weeks before Christmas we gather paper doilies, foils, anything we can use to make cut out snowflakes. We add glitter glue and stickers and markers and all kinda of things. Hours are spent cutting and decorating paper snowflakes. We have hot chocolate made with egg nog, home made cookies and we sing along to Christmas music. Its a HUGE mess, glitter everywhere for days but its so worth it! This year our "babies" are really too old for this to be much fun so we are inviting the neighbors girls and the 2 girls I babysit over for the evening and our kids will pass on the joy of making snowflakes :)

This is our babies Diamond and Chris making snowflakes in 2009. They look so little still! *sigh*

A completed snowflake waiting to be hung up.

CrystalPystol
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM

This year, instead of buying gifts we are just going to have a day of baking and watching Christmas shows. Really looking forward to it. 

Also, my sister is going to start a tradition with her DD. She gets 3 gifts from her mom (story of the 3 wisemen) and then gives to someone in need to teach her that Christmas is about giving more than it is receiving. I think that's an awesome idea.

Jeckers
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

We go to my mom's on Christmas eve around just before midnight.  Then we open gifts.  Then in the morning we go to my mother in laws and open gifts there.  I like going to midnight mass with my mom, haven't done it in a while, but I should really try and do that.  Frosting sugar cookies with all the little kids use to be a tradition my mom would have, but haven't done that in years.  :(  We really need to bring back the traditions again!  Maybe this year I will get in the spirit and motivate my mom to do some of the old stuff.  :)

alexsmomma06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Elf on the shelf

Decorating the day after Thanksgiving

'Christmas Morning Rolls'(aka Monkey Bread) on Christmas Morning- wonder how we ever came up with that name, huh.....

Taking an entire day to bake all the goodies

Doing a homemade gingerbread house

one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

My mom and I have a "Christmas Card Sleepover" -- this will be our 11th year.  We usually go to a movie or to dinner (or both) and then she comes over to my place and we sit and write out Christmas cards while we listen to Christmas music and enjoy some wine -- we usually stay up late talking and just having quality 'mother/daughter' time.  We both look forward to it every year.

This weekend I will be taking my son to the University in our town for "Breakfast with Santa" and then will decorate cookies and make cards which will be distributed to area nursing homes.  This will be our second year doing that and I plan on making it an annual activity.

I read in a magazine a couple years ago about a neat idea I may have to do.....buy a box of chocolates and make a "certificate" that says "Best Christmas Light Display" -- then, go for a drive through a neighborhood that has a lot of homes decorated with lights.  Then, the family 'votes' on which one is 'best' and put the box of chocolates and Certificate on their doorstep, thanking them for taking the time to decorate and reminding them how much it is enjoyed by the families in the community.  I think that sounds like a fun tradition.

knoxmomof2
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

@OP: The cards/ cookies to the nursing home sounds like fun... how do you arrange that?

blazenangel5
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I work at a nursing home so we are going to the one I work at. Many nursing homes welcome people who want to come in and spend time with residents. Just call and ask a good time to go in. They will love it. We have had caroling going on all week.

Quoting knoxmomof2:

@OP: The cards/ cookies to the nursing home sounds like fun... how do you arrange that?

blazenangel5
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Your mother/ daughter card party sounds amazing! Wish I had a relationship with my mom like that.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

My mom and I have a "Christmas Card Sleepover" -- this will be our 11th year.  We usually go to a movie or to dinner (or both) and then she comes over to my place and we sit and write out Christmas cards while we listen to Christmas music and enjoy some wine -- we usually stay up late talking and just having quality 'mother/daughter' time.  We both look forward to it every year.

This weekend I will be taking my son to the University in our town for "Breakfast with Santa" and then will decorate cookies and make cards which will be distributed to area nursing homes.  This will be our second year doing that and I plan on making it an annual activity.

I read in a magazine a couple years ago about a neat idea I may have to do.....buy a box of chocolates and make a "certificate" that says "Best Christmas Light Display" -- then, go for a drive through a neighborhood that has a lot of homes decorated with lights.  Then, the family 'votes' on which one is 'best' and put the box of chocolates and Certificate on their doorstep, thanking them for taking the time to decorate and reminding them how much it is enjoyed by the families in the community.  I think that sounds like a fun tradition.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN