Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If your kids were left out, would you still buy presents for theirs?

Posted by   + Show Post
Backstory: me and my fiance have been together two years, so one year last Christmas. He has been a part of my kids life since they were under a year for the youngster and under three years for my oldest.

Last Christmas we went to his moms families Christmas party. They do a white elephant except for the little kids who get gifts from everyone. We got gifts for the three little girls (art easel, art supplies and paper). When the time came to open gifts my kids (2 and 3 years at that time) did not get anything and watched while all the other kids opened presents and played with their new toys.

So my question is this year, do I buy presents for the little girls again even though my kids for left out? And would you be bothered by this or do you think that's normal? I was raised where anyone who was there got presents so I found it rude that not a single person even thought of my kids who they knew would be there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
MrS.GiFFord
by Brittany on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Bring your own presents for your kids so they wont be left out. Its what I would do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:13 PM
His parents just didn't bring anything because we do a Christmas thing with them on actual Christmas. His mom was really mad that her family left them out too because she calls them her grandkids and she feels like they just left them out. And it was hard, my kids didn't understand why they had nothing.

Quoting jujubear1:

What mich.el.le said.  I'd turn the other cheek on this one, but I know that had to be hard for you as a mom to see your kids get nothing.  I'd take them something small to open just in case.  Maybe have df ask his mom this year beforehand so she doesn't forget.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boppysmom2007
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM
I agree with the one lady ask him at talk to them and see then u will know for sure
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM
3 moms liked this

I would be furious, if my children were left out and had to sit there and watch while everyone else participated...I would have probably left.

I wouldn't go this year.  *shrug*

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Frankly, it was tempting. Lol. But ny kids still had fun. They rarely get to play with the little girls so we stayed but I was definitely bugged. I will just have to plan accordingly this year I suppose.

Quoting Paperfishies:

I would be furious, if my children were left out and had to sit there and watch while everyone else participated...I would have probably left.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Were they informed that your children would be there?

If not, then it's really not their fault. If they did, then I think that sucks. Children don't want to sit and watch other kids get gifts and them get nothing.

But, I would still get for the kids. Hopefully the other adults hated seeing your kids sit and watch too so maybe they will make sure to buy for them.

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Yes, they knew my kids would be there. We talked about Christmas at thanksgiving so they had weeks of advance knowledge.

Quoting kayandjsmom:

Were they informed that your children would be there?

If not, then it's really not their fault. If they did, then I think that sucks. Children don't want to sit and watch other kids get gifts and them get nothing.

But, I would still get for the kids. Hopefully the other adults hated seeing your kids sit and watch too so maybe they will make sure to buy for them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militarywife09
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't. It sounds like those kids will get plenty of gifts, and it isn't fair to your kids.
militarywife09
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Yeah this too.

Quoting Paperfishies:

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:28 PM

It is rude, but i would be the bigger person and buy something for the other kids anyway.  It isn't their fault that the parents are rude, and putting them in the middle is only going to make you look like an ass.  If yours get something, then great, If not, then this is a good time to teach them that giving is more important than recieving, and that life isn't always fair.  Or you could sneak a couple of small presents in for your kids as back up just in case they are left out again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)