Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If your kids were left out, would you still buy presents for theirs?

Posted by   + Show Post
Backstory: me and my fiance have been together two years, so one year last Christmas. He has been a part of my kids life since they were under a year for the youngster and under three years for my oldest.

Last Christmas we went to his moms families Christmas party. They do a white elephant except for the little kids who get gifts from everyone. We got gifts for the three little girls (art easel, art supplies and paper). When the time came to open gifts my kids (2 and 3 years at that time) did not get anything and watched while all the other kids opened presents and played with their new toys.

So my question is this year, do I buy presents for the little girls again even though my kids for left out? And would you be bothered by this or do you think that's normal? I was raised where anyone who was there got presents so I found it rude that not a single person even thought of my kids who they knew would be there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Replies (31-40):
Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM

i'd still buy something. just wouldn't be very big and then i'd take something for my kids to open just in case.

ilovemykids323
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

yes it would bother me  and no i wouldn't buy gifts this year but I would have no problem if he did. I would find it rude as well.

WinterRosesmom
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM
I'd hav to decline and just not go, if they can't exept all of you I just wouldn't even bother goin. Those poor kids my x includes my 2 daughters from my marriage now and he doesn't have to I can't imagin leaving a child out if the grown ups wanna have a beef it should be with you not them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM

We wouldn't have bought for a g/f's kids. If I had hosted I would have gotten something small so they weren't left out though. I buy gifts for my nieces and nephews b/c i want to. It has nothing to do with reciprocating a gift my own kids are getting. 

PestPatti
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM

When the hubby and I got together, and I had a son.   They treated him well.   They got off course after we had a child.  But they figured it out quickly.   

WinterRosesmom
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Wow thatis so very nice of you! What a big heart you have

Quoting supermom0609:

My two brothers never hardley get anyone anything but i have 4 nieces and nephews and i still get the kids something reguardless but im doing joint gifts like for two of my nephews im getting them a hot wheels wii game my niece is getting a ds game and so is my other niece. although they probaly wont get my kids anything i still get thier kids something because they r kids its not thier fault

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

First let me say, how absolutely tacky and rude. That is so ugly to leave children out, they ought to be ashamed of themselves. UGH. It's not about toys, it's about that poor baby's feelings.

Secondly, no, you need to go ahead and get those girls something again. Make sure you bring presents for your babies to open to. And I might have my honey talk to them about that absolutely tacky behavior. You know, I'd only met my in-laws once before going to their house for Christmas, and these are all the people that included my son for gifts (before we were married at that): SIL, MIL, FIL, and a random person who showed up that didn't even know about me or my son went and got him a toy that same day. NOBODY leaves out children, even strangers! That is not okay.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

AMR320
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Christmas is supposed to be about giving not receiving so yes I would still get something for them. It was rude that they did not include your kids. I would bring something extra for my kids just in case. How would you feel if they did include your kids this year and you didn't get anything for them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I would find out if there will be gifts for my kids this year, last year they were probably caught off guard.  If they don't have anything for your kids this year, I wouldn't go.

Ollie123
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Hopefully it was just a oversight on there part last year. I would get the other kids gifts again and like everyone suggested bring back ups. If it happens again it would be the last time. You and your kids don't need to deal with assholes like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN