Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you still get strep infections as an adult?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:34 AM
  • 20 Replies

I had them all the time as a kid, really bad, but this is only the second time in about twenty years that I have had it. I wonder if you built up a bit of an immunity to it as you grow older or if it is just because we are more conscientious about germs.

I forgot how friggin bad it hurts. My throat looks like a science experiment and the glands in my neck are all swollen.

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AMBG825
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:06 AM

I have gotten them twice a year since I was a kid. Usually mine start off as tonsilitis then progresses for some reason. 

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Yes you can still get strep throat as an adult.

You can also get it if your tonsils have been removed.

Hope you feel better soon.

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Yes you can still get strep throat as an adult.

You can also get it if your tonsils have been removed.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, I know that you can get it. It just seems like a lot of adults  that I know don't get it anymore, even when they had it a lot as kids.

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Quoting AMBG825:

I have gotten them twice a year since I was a kid. Usually mine start off as tonsilitis then progresses for some reason. 

That's no good. I had it once a few years ago after an appendectomy. They kept me in the hospital for a few days. I am pretty sure I picked it up there. The sore throat was worse than the surgery.

rgba
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM
I used to get it all the time, even as an adult, but now haven't had it in 15 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cryssi_renee
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I never had it as a child. I had it for the first time last year at 27.  It was awful. 

I bronchitis almost every year growing up and I've only had it once as an adult. 

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Quoting rgba:

I used to get it all the time, even as an adult, but now haven't had it in 15 years.

I had it so much as a kid, my throat has pits in it from all of the infections. I think only one of my kids has ever had it, knock on wood. Fifteen years is a long time when you got it all the time. That was why I wondered if we build up kind of a resistance to it. It could just be that adults wash their hands more and don't typically cough on each other. :)

christina0607
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I have only gotten strep as an adult. I really never got sick as a child.

FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I've only had strep twice in my life once as a kid and once as an adult.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:16 AM
I never really got it As a kid. But I've gotten it every spring since I was 17. Never fails.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)