Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I think my mom hates her grandson!! (WWYD?Update-02-07-13) Really hard to understand

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM
  • 186 Replies
3 moms liked this

Joey (16)is my oldest.He is a quiet,shy sensitive boy.Never had a problem with him at school,at home,in the neighborhood. He does what he's told when he's told to do it (no need to "hound" him,kwim?)

My mom came to visit us and she stayed about 2 weeks.During this time she tried to ground Joey 3x.One time was for removing a chair from his room-she kept insisting that "the furniture in this house stays where it is at!" I had already told him tht he could move it to the shed because he bought himself a computer/desk chair  that he liked more. The second time was because he broke a glass and ended up with 5 stitches in his hand...she said he did it on purpose to get out of washing dishes?! Seriously?Cut his hand open so he doesn't have to do his chores?He's never pulled anything like it before,why start now?

I ended up asking her to cut her "vacation" with us short.I walked in on her telling my son that "She WOULD NOT allow him to take her daughter away from her!" WTH?

My brothers and sister are FURIOUS at me,but I can't have my mother harrassing Joey ALL the time for stupid sh*t!! I'm starting to think she's jealous of my kid.But,why? I am confused...any insights?

Ok,she called me and said she would be in Mississippi for about a week.And wanted to know if I would "allow" her to visit us.But,only if I promised to be  civil....And,I understood that everything she did to Joey was "for his own good".  I told her that I failed to see HOW picking on him ALL the time was "good" for him and she wasn't allowed in my house if she wasn't going to treat all my kids equally. 

She refused to apologize.She says that he is my kid so I don't see "How bad he is". The thing is...Hubby and I work full time.A couple of weeks ago they called hubby in early and kept me 4/5 hours longer than I was scheduled for.Hubby hadn't made supper and I got off way after supper time.I had texted Joe and told him to take out leftovers. To my suprise when I got home--Joey had ordered pizza and paid for it with his money (he mows yards,does stuff around the house for older people in the neighborhood). He wouldn't let me pay him back. This is the type of kid  he is. I'm not saying he's perfect because he is NOT,but he is a GOOD,RESPONSIBLE kid.How many parents can actually say this about their 15/16 year olds and really mean it?!

I don't get it.But,my mom will not be allowed to come back unless she swears she will be nice.And/or she apologizes to Joey. Am I doing the right thing? My younger two miss her and I would like my kids to have a relationship with their granmother.(Just not at the expense of my 16 yr. old.)

My hubby decided that there was TOO much arguing going on over my child.So,without telling me he called my mom and invited her to eat with us.As we are sitting down to supper (me about to kill my hubby) My mother informs me-in front of my children that -"You are a BAD wife!" Excuse me? She has always sworn she abhors my husband but now I don't care of him the way I should?! "Men need to feel SPECIAL,honey.And you aren't doing it right." Can I kill her now? This is it. I don't let her bully my kid so,now she is TRYING to do it to me. After we ate I made her leave. I will get with my brothers and sis and see about getting her seen.....She will just have to stay away from my family for now!!!

And,even though I was annoyed at hubby he was just trying to fix a family problem.He now knows it won't work.

Well,I finally got SOME of the truth out of her....My younger brother,Dennis will be 18 this year.He is the type of kid that is always in trouble-not BAD trouble but silly pranks that could seriously hurt him and/or others around him.

I hadn't heard about it because my mom is always trying to convince us that Dennis is just mischievous.In other words,not intentionally bad. Apparently, at some point during November Dennis got put on house arrest by a judge!!He even had an ankle monitor.....Dennis had snuck out,went to a birthday party had 1 beer (Right!) and proceeded to try to drive one of his friends home!! He got caught.

My mom says she just couldn't believe that she had raised a "BAD" kid and she just couldn't see all of this happening to me.I told her that  had it been Joey that pulled this crap the cops/judge wouldn't have to worry about him anymore...I'd kill him.(J/k,but he would be in one hell of a lot of trouble.) She has tried apologizing to Joey,but he won't talk to her.He basically does that "teen-age" shoulder shrug at her and walks off. So,then she tells me I HAVE to make my son talk to her.....I sort of think she deserves his temper right now.I am not getting in the middle of it.bad

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . . . it's more like a jar of jalapenos.. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow!

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Yogamom08
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM
3 moms liked this
Wow I don't blame you for cutting her visit short.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow poor kid. Grandmas ridiculous.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Here is a picture.He got his first part time job a week ago.

LogansMommy0328
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Aw no kid deserves a grandmom like that :( I would do the same. I hope you guys can work out the differences if not I would cut her out completely. Good luck to you all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pittiesmom
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Perhaps she has a problem with teen boys in general? You know how some people think all teen guys are up to no good?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM

She adores Brian (my 11 yr old) and more often than not Brian is the one that will "sass" you if given half a chance.

Quoting pittiesmom:

Perhaps she has a problem with teen boys in general? You know how some people think all teen guys are up to no good?

mjande4
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this

It sounds like she may be suffering from some dementia.  Instead of sending her home, you should have taken her for a full medical evaluation.  As people age, their mental capacities sometimes falter and they say and do things that are out of character. 

_WC_Mama
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

No offense but she sounds ridiculous,I wouldn't blame you for asking her to leave early,sheesh.

MrsErdos2011
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I agree. If she just started doing this and she normally doesn't she needs to be evaluated. I know with my husband's grandma if she is being nice, loving and caring we need to take her to the hosital because something is seriously wrong.

Quoting mjande4:

It sounds like she may be suffering from some dementia.  Instead of sending her home, you should have taken her for a full medical evaluation.  As people age, their mental capacities sometimes falter and they say and do things that are out of character. 

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Goodness. I couldn't handle that. Is she normal any other time because what you mentioned here makes her seem a little crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN