Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My son has decided what it is he plans to do with life AND it terrifies me!!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM
  • 12 Replies

My 18 yr old son will graduate HS this year. He is making plans to become an Ohio State Highway Patrol Trooper. He has plans to take the patrol part even higher. He is already in contact with a recruiter, has been scoping out what to take in college, and is even going on something of a ride along/internship thing with the Highway Patrol!

While I am proud as punch and knew this is the type of work he would eventually fall into, I am scared out of my mind of the danger he will face, the idiots he will track down, arrest, fight with, senerios run through my head and none of them end well!

If any of you momma's have SO, sons/DD, or other family or friends in the police career, please advise me on how to be supportive of his choice and not to worry every day and night he is gone!!!!!

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SLGross215
by Sarah on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I understand your fear. My daughter is almost 16 and has decided she wants to join the Army when she graduates high school. While I'm very proud of her for this decision, I'm terrified as well.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM

BUMP!

Junesmommy18
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM
You'll always be afraid of what could happen, but you CANNOT let it consume you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM

My brother is an undercover drug detective, he loves it.

BluePandaDreams
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM
You learn to live with the fear and worry. You thank god each day they come home. I worked corrections and hubbie was always worried. Our daughter is in the military scheduled to deploy sometime next year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I don't know how to deal with your situation, but I had a son in the Army. He is out and healthy. But now I have another son who will be going to boot camp Dec. 11. Navy Seal. I wish he would change his mind. Sometimes I just have to not think about things.    

Bitterroot
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I am so glad to hear your 18yo son actually HAS a plan (even though it is scary for you, his mother) and potentially dangerous to himself.

But from the mother of a 17yod, high school senior, who has NO CLUE what she will do with her life, I'd take Highway Patrol over non-commitment, any day.

Come join me in Cafe Mom's NEW! "Vegetarians/Vegans" group!  Share recipes, health information, and ask questions.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118097

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Quoting BluePandaDreams:

You learn to live with the fear and worry. You thank god each day they come home. I worked corrections and hubbie was always worried. Our daughter is in the military scheduled to deploy sometime next year.

So this knot that has begun in my belly will never leave? I feel like I just delivered him and brought him home and now I am losing him, to some crazy asshole who cant follow the law.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Quoting Bitterroot:

I am so glad to hear your 18yo son actually HAS a plan (even though it is scary for you, his mother) and potentially dangerous to himself.

But from the mother of a 17yod, high school senior, who has NO CLUE what she will do with her life, I'd take Highway Patrol over non-commitment, any day.

Thank you. He has always mumbled someting along the lines of police work, civic duty type stuff but I just figured it was a phase due to the vedio games he played! (yes, I tried blaming them!)

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Quoting Junesmommy18:

You'll always be afraid of what could happen, but you CANNOT let it consume you.

How can I not though? He isnt even enrolled, just very serious about it and I am freaking out at my own thoughts!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)