Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Back surgery?? Has anyone had it??

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM
  • 15 Replies
I'm scheduled for a microdisectomy on Dec 21. I'm so nervous :(

I have a herniated disc at my L5 S1 that's causing horrible sciatic pain. I got injured August 11 in a softball tournament and I've been dealing with it ever since. 7 weeks of chiropractic care, physical therapy, and anti-inflammatory meds. Nothing helped at all. I now have muscle loss in my left calf and I've completely lost the reflexes in my left foot. The surgeon said that because it had already been 15 weeks with no improvement, its just not going to get better on its own.

I guess they're going to go in and cut away the part of the disc that's herniated. I have to stay one night in the hospital cause ill be on a pain pump.
Has anyone else gone through this?? What kind of pain meds are they going to give me afterwards since I don't think I can take vicodin?? How long am I going to be miserable?? I'm so worried this Christmas is going to be awful now :(

Any advice is greatly appreciated...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustMe0326
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Bump??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2b2008
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM
One of my friends just had a discectomy (sp?) and he is in much worse pain than he was in before he had the surgery. He is having another surgery next tuesday. His first one was the day after Thanksgiving.

I hope I didn't scare you:-(

Good luck mama!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JustMe0326
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Oi...
Did he just have a herniated disc too?? What's wrong now??

:(

Quoting momma2b2008:

One of my friends just had a discectomy (sp?) and he is in much worse pain than he was in before he had the surgery. He is having another surgery next tuesday. His first one was the day after Thanksgiving.

Good luck mama!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband just had a laminectomy on the 19th of Novemeber.He has arthritis in his lower back with bone spurs,bulging disks,free-floating bone pieces and all sorts of other crap.His surgery went well.His hospital stay was a little longer than expected due to some uncontrolled bleeding and they had to go back in and put in drains but even with the pain from the surgery I think he's improved so much!I'm really looking forward to him being able to do normal things now without pain!I'm sure he is too,lol.He's already glad he went with the surgery.As for pain meds,he's been on percocet.

JustMe0326
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM
So glad to hear his went well! That's what I need...good stories! Lol

But seriously, hope he recovers fast!

Quoting MrsApple:

My husband just had a laminectomy on the 19th of Novemeber.He has arthritis in his lower back with bone spurs,bulging disks,free-floating bone pieces and all sorts of other crap.His surgery went well.His hospital stay was a little longer than expected due to some uncontrolled bleeding and they had to go back in and put in drains but even with the pain from the surgery I think he's improved so much!I'm really looking forward to him being able to do normal things now without pain!I'm sure he is too,lol.He's already glad he went with the surgery.As for pain meds,he's been on percocet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Thanks!And you too! 

Seriously,take it as easy as they tell you after surgery...for as long as they tell you!Hubby thought he'd be fine going back to work after just a week....HA!Came home early that one day and took the last two recommended weeks off.He pushed it and payed for it,lol.

Quoting JustMe0326:

Quoting MrsApple:

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I teach essential oils classes and they are so amazing i have found surgeons that use them in their surgeries now because they keep inflammation down so much. Amazing for pain and recoveries of anykind. who knows maybe you won't even need the surgery, one oil called Frankincense actually helps anything neuroligical and what i love about oils is they actually give your body what it needs to fix itself not just a cover up. If you have a problem an oil can fix it. Frankincense even gets rid of cancer, seen it with my neighbor i sold him some and his cancer has not come back and he was usually going in every 3 months to get it burned off his skin!  If you want more info i will teach you all you need to know asap email me at  doterratina@hotmail.com     hugs!

momma2b2008
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM
I think so, but not 100% sure.

They don't know why he is in more pain than he was before the surgery. The surgery he is having on Tuesday is exploratory surgery to see what's going on.

Quoting JustMe0326:

Oi...

Did he just have a herniated disc too?? What's wrong now??

:(

Quoting momma2b2008:

Good luck mama!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JustMe0326
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Awww crap...lol
They've already told me 3 weeks off work but then they started telling me how great I'm going to feel by Christmas...so I started planning on going back to work after a week too! Lol
What does your dh do for work??

Quoting MrsApple:

Thanks!And you too! 

Seriously,take it as easy as they tell you after surgery...for as long as they tell you!Hubby thought he'd be fine going back to work after just a week....HA!Came home early that one day and took the last two recommended weeks off.He pushed it and payed for it,lol.

Quoting JustMe0326:

Quoting MrsApple:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I have no advice, but just wanted to say good luck!!!  My husband may need back surgery in the next year or so due to having a very curved spine.  I'm not looking forward to it, so I can imagine actually having it done can be pretty nerve racking!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN