Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

parenting/relationships between parents and children

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM
  • 7 Replies

hello everyone, my name is katie and im doing a paper in my sociology class. i was wondering if u could answer a few questions for me?

1) how has parenting changed over the years in the american culture? mexican culture?

2) what are the different typs of relationships parents and children hold in the american culture? mexican culture?

gardening

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I'm no expert and I can't speak for Mexican culture, but I think parents in the US are less involved than they were in previous generations. I think mainly due to the breakdown of the nuclear family and more women working.

mygirls221925
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM

okay....thank you

iejoseph361
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM
As American I wouldn't say parenting has changed more that the "parents" are younger less mature & responsible less involved.
There are a few relationships there's the parents who try to be their kid(s) friend and the parent who are the quote normal parent. The relationship where u children respect ur authority as a parental figure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Hi Katie! You might also want to ask about this on the Latinas group:

Reina13
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Hi Katie! Welcome.

I would definitely ask this in the Mamas Latinas group like a previous poster suggested.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Every Tuesday with Us!

mygirls221925
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

thank you everyone!!family in the van

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Quoting mygirls221925:

hello everyone, my name is katie and im doing a paper in my sociology class. i was wondering if u could answer a few questions for me? These are the questions they gave you?  They seem rather broad.  I cant answer about the mexican culture....

1) how has parenting changed over the years in the american culture? mexican culture? I have seen parenting go from parents feeding and housing the kids only in my mothers day, she had to entertain herself.  Parents were in charge, kids stayed out of the way.  I was born in the 70s and we were raised by old hippies, free to be you and me.  The kids were in charge and mom and dad were there to cater to our needs.  Parents in the 80s wanted more structure but everyone was a winner.  Soccer teams didnt keep score, kids had huge graduations from kindergarten.  they celebrated mediocrity.  Now parenting is legislated.  Carseats, immunizations, food safety.  Parents are clearly too dumb to parent without a government handbook.  

2) what are the different typs of relationships parents and children hold in the american culture? mexican culture?  I dont even know what this is asking.  Does your instructor want a list of all the different kinds of relationships?  There are so many!  Does he want the standard parent raises child authoritarian, Parent raises child as equal, parent places child above parent..... What kind of sociology class is this.  Comparative parenting north and south of the border?  

gardening

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)