Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Baby deaths prompt CPSC to sue Nap Nanny maker

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM
  • 13 Replies

Makers of the popular Nap Nanny infant recliner seats, which have been tied to the deaths of five babies, have failed to do enough about the potential hazard, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Wednesday.

The CPSC voted to sue Baby Matters LLC of Berwyn, Pa., which makes the Nap Nanny and Nap Nanny Chill seats, saying they pose “a substantial risk of injury and death to infants". It is seeking an order to require Baby Matters to notify the public of the product defects and to offer consumers a full refund.

Baby Matters representatives did not immediately return a call from NBC News.

The company issued a cooperative recall in July 2010 of 30,000 Nap Nanny portable baby recliners after the death of a 4-month old girl who became caught in the baby seat’s harness, CPSC officials said.

At the time, the company offered an $80 coupon to owners of Nap Nanny Generation One owners toward purchase of a newer model. It also issued improved instructions and warnings to consumers.

Since then, the CPSC said that four more babies have died in Nap Nanny Generation Two or Chill seats and the agency has received more than 70 reports of children nearly falling out of the product. Babies have fallen out of the seats and become entrapped in the harnesses.

Discussions with Baby Matters officials “failed to result in an adequate voluntary recall plan,” said CPSC officials, who voted Wednesday to issue an administrative complaint seeking the order on Wednesday.

The Nap Nanny Generation One and Two and the Nap Nanny Chill seats are portable recliners used for sleeping, resting and playing. The product includes a shaped foam base with an indentation for the baby to sit and a fitted fabric cover with a three-point harness.

The seats are dangerous when they’re used in cribs or when the harness straps aren’t securely fastened, CPSC officials said.

About five thousand Nap Nanny Generation One and about 50,000 Nap Nanny Generation Two models were sold between 2009 and early 2012 and have been discontinued. About 100,000 Nap Nanny Chill models have been sold since January 2011. All of the seats were priced around $130.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rlmama00
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

People need to stop blaming the manufacturer when they misuse a product. 

Teacher101
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Remember the bumbo... do they still make those?

Anyways, my kids loved the bumbo seats and we used them the right way... you know on a flat surface with adult supervision at all times. Not in a tub and not as a car seat etc...  and never had an issue.

Some asshat leaves his kid in a bumbo on a high counter and walks off to go do God knows what and the bumbo gets a bad name.

My kids have outgrown the age where I would know what this product is, but I assume it is about the same bunch of crap.

Yes?

mmtosam06
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:48 AM

yep pretty much

Quoting Teacher101:

Remember the bumbo... do they still make those?

Anyways, my kids loved the bumbo seats and we used them the right way... you know on a flat surface with adult supervision at all times. Not in a tub and not as a car seat etc...  and never had an issue.

Some asshat leaves his kid in a bumbo on a high counter and walks off to go do God knows what and the bumbo gets a bad name.

My kids have outgrown the age where I would know what this product is, but I assume it is about the same bunch of crap.

Yes?

Stephanie nice to meet you.
nicki.hemingway
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Most of the nap nanny deaths were from misuse I believe.

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this
people need to grow a brain.

nap nanny isn't to blame for people not following direction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raczac
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:53 AM
I don't know if any of you ladies remember the mothers helper. It was a small bean bay type thing to help nursing mothers in the late 80's. My Jim had one for my younger brother they were recalled because dumbasses were laying infants gave down on these for a nap and children were dying. If you don't use a product in the right way bad things are going to happen. People need to stop blaming manufactures for not using items properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Winchester
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:14 AM

How in the F*** does a baby die from something like this?   It's a piece of foam with a belt for crying out loud!

Common sense:  don't put your baby in it on a table or on top or tall object and walk away! 

Moogie1005
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:44 AM
Common sense is no longer common.

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

How in the F*** does a baby die from something like this?   It's a piece of foam with a belt for crying out loud!

Common sense:  don't put your baby in it on a table or on top or tall object and walk away! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbuckmom03
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Ain't that the truth!

I have a bumbo on my registry for this baby and I will use it on the floor like a reponsibile parent and I won't walk away.  Not that hard to figure out!

Quoting Moogie1005:

Common sense is no longer common.

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM
I hate when innocent children are hurt or die because their parents are idiots!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN