Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think your kids have too much homework?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM
  • 57 Replies

Poll

Question: Do your kids have too much homework?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 51

View Results

My son is only in kindergarten and has 10 minutes or so of "homework" every night, which seems fine to me. What about your kids? Are they totally swamped after school, or do they have a reasonable amount of work to do at home?

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont belive that kids should be givin home work they teacher has them for what 6-8 hours a day and cant teach them the things they need to know. not our fault. 

i understand it a bit more once they are in high school because they are only in each class 40-50 minutes

.Nobody.
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:32 PM
My second grader has spelling and math every night. She also has to read at least 20 minutes 5 days a week.

I think it's fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymunchkins3
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM
nope dd is in kinder and she has about 5mins of homework a night
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-spork2.0-
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Dd2 did before she switched schools (transportation issues, not homework related).. in k.. not being able to read.. she had 6-8 pages a night
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2swtboys
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Bump! I homeschool. I think my nieces & nephews (5th & 6th grade) have to much. 6th grader has 2hrs or more of homework everyday & she starts it as soon as she gets home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Not at all, my daughter, who is in fourth grade, only gets a couple of minutes of homework a night, aside from test studying and prep.

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM

DS is in kindergarten and only has reading. On occasion he will have a extra little assignment to do, but so far I think its only been 1-2.

Also, the way his school does it up to I know at least 2nd grade is they give a packet of about 5 papers to do on monday and they are due on friday. I think it is a good amount.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:27 AM

My 10 year old has about an hours worth of hw and that includes her 30 minutes of reading so her hw is pretty laid back.

My other 2 are  highschool freshman and my son maybe 90 minutes worth  where as my dd can be doing hw for 21/2 hours and other nights only about 1.  just depends on the day.  when she was in 8th grade her HW would literally take her at least 4 hours and that was on a light night. 

MammaPaparazza
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:30 AM
My kindergartner gets a packet with four dittos, has to read 10 mins every night, do 15 mins of ixl computerized math, and do three (of her choice) assignments with her sight words, and read her two decodable readers five times a week. Everything comes home Friday and is due back the following Thursday

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

My son is only in kindergarten and has 10 minutes or so of "homework" every night, which seems fine to me. What about your kids? Are they totally swamped after school, or do they have a reasonable amount of work to do at home?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:12 AM

No, we don't.  We homeschool so my children are able to control what and how much we do.  I love the freedom in education that we have.  10 minutes seems very reasonable.  Personally I feel the best homework families should have is reading together.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)