Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

The blankie that cannot die.... or I am a mom.... or who knew I had it in me.

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

There are so many places I could start this post.

I could tell you about how I dropped Home Economics in the 9th grade because I was failing the sewing portion of the class and didn't want the grade to hurt my GPA.

Or I could tell you about how my husband bought me a sewing machine for Christmas last year because I had made a resolution to sew. On December 26th of last year I packed that machine away because I couldn't figure out how to thread the damn thing. You Tube and phone calls to my mother weren't helping.

But I think I will start in June of 2008. You see my little boy Caiden was in the hospital and the nurses brought him a blankie. It was special because it was a Project Linus blankie, which are blankies sewed by volunteers for kids in the hospital. It was a red white and blue quilt. Caiden was 15 months old and I was praying he would be okay.

Fast forward to my youngest child Cameron. When Cameron was a baby he got a hold of that blankie. I told my DH that we had to make sure to put it up because it was Caiden's Linus blankie and it was special, but Cameron got very attached to it very quickly. I tried giving him other blankies but he refused. Caiden told me to let him have it and said he wanted his baby brother to have it.

Cameron is three and that blankie is his baby. It has gone through hell and back. As I mentioned, it is not one I can just go out and buy a new one of either. I noticed that small rips were appearing in the blankie recently and vowed to take it to someone to be fixed.

Today Cameron threw up all over blankie. Blankie had to be washed again. When I took blankie out of the wash I was crushed. It needed surgery and quickly. Cameron being sick wanted that blanket, but I could see it was in bad shape. I promised him I would bring it to him while he was sleeping.

Four hours at my sewing machine and a cosmetic makeover and blankie is okay. It is not pretty, but it will serve its purpose. The backing was ripped in multiple places and the quilting was coming apart. I gently hand stitched the quilting and sewed one of Cam's old thin baby blankets to the back to keep what little insides were left still inside.

I guess I just needed a project worth fighting the sewing machine over. It took me forever to figure out and I had to rip out my own seems several times. The damn thing got jammed more then once and I even knocked the foot (I think that is what it is called) off trying to pull out a huge tangle of thread that got stuck in the machine...

Who knew I had it in me?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
got2monsters
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Good job mama. My son has a blankie and stuffed horsey. Horses name is "blinky blue" or "bb" for short. He has a restuffing operation scheduled soon. He's lost a lot of weight, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Teacher101
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Quoting got2monsters:

Good job mama. My son has a blankie and stuffed horsey. Horses name is "blinky blue" or "bb" for short. He has a restuffing operation scheduled soon. He's lost a lot of weight, lol.

Cameron has a puppy like that.... one day DH was out shopping and saw that they had them in stock again, so I asked him to buy two more. We haven't had to break either one out, but they are there if we need them.

iejoseph361
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Lol good for u! Us moms I think will do whatever it is if it makes our babies, no matter how big or small, feel better!
Teacher101
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM

It looks pretty terrible, but he is sleeping with it tonight. That's what matters I guess. I'm sure if my grandmother sees it she will be ashamed. Looking back I wish I had asked her to teach me how to sew.

Teacher101
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Quoting iejoseph361:

Lol good for u! Us moms I think will do whatever it is if it makes our babies, no matter how big or small, feel better!

That is certainly the truth, and we try REALLY hard, even if our best effort sucks.

The blankie looks like Dr. Frankenstein sewed it, but he is cuddling it and that is what matters.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I still have my baby blanket 32 years later.  It has completely lost its backing adn filling but the front isnt too bad.  Someone in the family had made it for me so the back was embroidered alphabet with pictures.   I bet you were proud of your older son for willingly giving it to his baby brother who wanted it.

Teacher101
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

I still have my baby blanket 32 years later.  It has completely lost its backing adn filling but the front isnt too bad.  Someone in the family had made it for me so the back was embroidered alphabet with pictures.   I bet you were proud of your older son for willingly giving it to his baby brother who wanted it.

I was really proud of him!

I know that what the blankie looks like now (I am terrible at sewing) is going to be just another story to tell the kids someday. Hopefully they will see that I tried and even though it is far from perfect, I did my best.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Quoting Teacher101:

Quoting frndlyfn:

I was really proud of him!

I know that what the blankie looks like now (I am terrible at sewing) is going to be just another story to tell the kids someday. Hopefully they will see that I tried and even though it is far from perfect, I did my best.

I wonder if there is a quilt hospital somewhere that could return it to its former glory or before it gets too bad, have someone make a new one for him and pack the old one away for a memory chest.

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM
My nephew has a blanket that looks like a burlap sack in threads. He's 2 I don't think it will last much longer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)