Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

teacher issue

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM
  • 11 Replies

My dd is in 5th grade.  A couple of weeks ago was her parent teacher conference.  She's doing well but there may be an issue with math.  At that time they did not recommend the after school program  Which is two days a week for about an hour.    Last week, the day before a math test they told  her if she didn't pass the math test that she would have to stay for the after-school program.   She studied for the test  and after the parent teacher conference i got her a tutor (my high-school math whiz dd) and she's been working with her.  She got a 92 on the test.  The idea of after school really upsets my dd.  She already has problems with a cpl of kids calling her stupid (teacher is dealing with that) so she was in a panic the night before the test.  She comes home yesterday however with a note from her teacher saying she needs math after-school. 

My issue is not that they think she needs the extra help.  If she needs it, she needs it.  My issue is why tell her if she fails she'll have to attend  then when she gets a 92  they tell oh well you need to attend anyway.  I'm confused as to why they pulled her aside at all.   she's really devastated about this.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM

It's highly possible that, although she did very well (congrats to her) on THIS particular test, they analyzed other data and realized she is weak in other areas that the after school tutoring is going to focus on.  I agree, they sent a mixed message, but I would embrace the free tutoring and encourage her to go.  Math is the one discipline that if you do not learn the basics it will just compound the problem.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Quoting mjande4:

It's highly possible that, although she did very well (congrats to her) on THIS particular test, they analyzed other data and realized she is weak in other areas that the after school tutoring is going to focus on.  I agree, they sent a mixed message, but I would embrace the free tutoring and encourage her to go.  Math is the one discipline that if you do not learn the basics it will just compound the problem.

she can definitely benefit from the extra help and the after-school has fewer kids with more teachers available so she'll get alot of one on one time with the teacher and with the tutoring my dd is giving her she'll be doing great in no time.  She's a very determined kid.  we had a long talk last night where I told her math was just like everything else  she has to practice to be  good @ it just like she practices her drum or her dancing and singing not just when she's in lessons and class but outside of that as well. 

I just don't understand why they pulled her out of the classroom to speak to her in the hall and say anything to her.  My dh thinks they probably didn't expect her to pass the test.   She views the after-school like a punishment and even tho she did good she's still being punished.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Tell your daughter that if she's having problems with a subject, she should take advantage of any after school help.  Also tell her that not all teachers are able to get math across to all students.  My daughter, for instance, is quite smart and gets A's in math (she's in 9th grade geometry) but she has a tutor because the teacher just doesn't explain the subject very well.  And, mom go to Amazon (or you local Barnes and Noble bookstore) today and buy your daughter Danica McKellar's book:  "Math Doesn't Suck" for middle school math next year and she'll be ahead of the game!

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

They may have told her something to the fact that if she failed the test she would have to go, otherwise there may still be a chance she would need to go.  But when she hear fail test and have to go, she ignored the rest.

Teacher101
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Was this always an option? If it was then why is she just going now if she has been struggling all along?

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Quoting Teacher101:

Was this always an option? If it was then why is she just going now if she has been struggling all along?

This has been an option since the 2nd week of school back in sept.   Which at first they based the decisions on last years math scores from the state wide exam which my dd got a 4.  1-4 scale 4 being the highest.  so she wasnt a candiate back in the begining of the year.   I did notice a drop in her test grades. she started out the year with 90's and 100  then she dropped down to mid 70's  and then most recent the 92.  which at the parent teacher last month they didnt recomend her for the afteschool at the time.  They said she was on the boarder of being where she needed to be.    Thats when I started paying my older dd to tutor her. which seems to be helping based on the one test she has taken since.  all of her homeworks are getting stars as well.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Quoting nova.mommy:

They may have told her something to the fact that if she failed the test she would have to go, otherwise there may still be a chance she would need to go.  But when she hear fail test and have to go, she ignored the rest.

I think thats what i'm going to mention to the teacher.  Just tell her what tori took away from their conversation and how it upset her to still need to go to the afterschool.   If she's hearing from home and at school that this is just to help her to make math easier then she might feel differently, not so much like its a punishment.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

It is hard when other students are making you feel badly about a particular subject.  I am sure after awhile she will enjoy the after school program for tutoring.   It would be interesting to see if any of the teasers are actually going there as well.

StoneColdKiller
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Yep sounds like the teacher made it a punishment which is the worst thing you can do cause we all know its not. But she worked hard and now still getting the punishment in her eyes. If your older dd tutoring is working then I wouldn't make her go right now.

But would explain with the teacher in front of DD that this isn't a punishment and that it can be left open for her to do later if she starts to have problems again but that it is not a punishment but a tool to help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcwife86
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

i think that the after school math class wont be any good if she is in an environment where she isn't comfortable or is feeling a negative reason for it (like being punished).  I would arrange another meeting tell them that and then say that you will arrange tutoring in another way. there isnt anythign wrong with extra help but the environment and the 'vibes' you get from it can really do damage on your ability to get much of anything from it that you need.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)