Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you feed this to your kids?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM
  • 29 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Would you use Betty Crocker's Shake-N-Pour cupcake mix and serve it to your friends?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 61

View Results

I have a confession to make. One of my favorite things to do when we travel is to go to the grocery store.

It’s true. 

You never know what you’ll find on the shelves. 

And I should know. In the last year our family has driven through 41 states and I visited at least one grocery store in each. It’s one of the hidden benefits of staying in vacation rental homes or at specialty resorts that include kitchens.

As I’m walking down the aisle I often wonder, does anybody really buy this stuff?

Case in point is the new Shake-N-Pour cupcake mix we spotted at our local Publix supermarket. I’m sorry Betty Crocker but “just add water” doesn’t bolster my confidence in your mix.  FYI, I don’t normally use cake mixes, and I never use ones that remove the need for nutritionally beneficial ingredients, like eggs.

If you’ve ever seen Bill Cosby’s Chocolate Cake for Breakfast routine you will know what I mean by “the need for nutritionally beneficial ingredients.” Yes, Dads – and occasionally Moms – will be like Bill and just let them eat cake at six o’clock in the morning.

But what do you think? Is this something you would buy? Maybe use to make cupcakes for your family and/or friends? Or are you thinking, “yuck-o!”

Let me know, and if we get enough comments I might just test out this product and let you know how it tastes.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Dude, I am so with on visiting out of state grocery stores!  The one I went to in my MIL's home town was making flour tortillas by the 2 lb bag when we walked in (not that we can eat flour tortillas anymore but still, it was nice to see).

on the other hand, I do make cakes from boxes.  I have a justification though.  I live above 6,000 ft altitude and baking is a bit of a tricky exercise to begin with.  We're a gluten free family and GF baking is a tricky thing even at "normal" (around sea level-ish) altitudes.  Add high altitude to GF and, well, comfortable as I am in the kitchen, that is not something I want to tinker with, specially with birthday cakes on the line!  The GF brand I buy works perfectly, has 1-3 eggs added depending on the type of cake, and sometimes butter also.  I can live with that for a handful of birthdays a year.

Even before we went GF, no I would not have bought a shake n pour cupcake.  Just.  No.

Arwyn724
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM
4 moms liked this

These cup cake mixes are not bad, and I buy them for the school and extra curricular things that hold bake sales, class parties, etc.  I work outside the home 50 hours a week, and sometimes you just gotta save time.  And in response to the nutritional value of cup cakes...eggs, no eggs...I do not ever add cupcakes to my menu with nutrition in mind, lol.  It isn't a staple in our diets, so once in a while, who cares?  Now muffins are a different story.  We're serious about the nutrition in our muffins.

SevenKisses
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see how they are very new. I've seen and used the Shake 'N Pour pancake mixes before, so this is pretty much the same.

AwayIsHome
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Have you posted any muffin recipes? I'm looking for a good morning muffin!

MaggotMom
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. But, then again, I don't feed my kids processed foods. Everything we eat is from scratch.

Momtogirls0823
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Hilarious!  I can't say anything as my youngest dd (6 yrs. old) eats Nutella on bread for breakfast.  *hangs head in shame*  I probably would try it, though.  I'm thinking of getting the one for pancakes as mine always end up being too thin!  

clemmy
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Why is it packaged in a Tide bottle???? That's what I want to know.

I use boxed cake mix because I only make a cake like once a year... I would not use this though lol

mich.el.le
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

No, because on the rare occasion that I make cake or cupcakes they're from scratch, but I'm lol'ing @ ''nutritionally beneficial''. 

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

pamelax3
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I may try it for a bake sale or something like that, but my family will only eat cakes/cup cakes from scratch

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I like the shake and pour pancakes so may try the shake and pour cupcakes even though dd will only eat the frosting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)