Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

piog.. pick up process at school

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM
  • 31 Replies
What is the pick up/ after school process at your childs school? Do they have buses? Allow kids to walk home unsupervised? Have an after school program?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM
The younger kids are walked to a fenced in area where they sit on the ground and a teacher stands at the gate until she sees the parents and calls the child to come. It's a small charter school so all the parents are pretty much recognized right away. Some parents pull up in the parking lot and a teacher with a bull horn calls the kid and makes sure they get to the right car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM

There is an after school program, two buses and they do allow kids to walk home if the parents notify the school they can. I for one pick up my daughter. I go inside the school and wait for her. I am not one to line up outside in my van and sit for 30 mins as traffic eeks by. 

Cherish77
by Cherish on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Younger kids wait inside the gates for parents, older kids are permitted to walk home unsupervised. I notice most of them walk in groups with their friends, so they are never totally alone.  They are also permitted to ride bikes as they have a bike cage on the school campus.  The only ones that take a bus are the band kids(dd included) and that is only once a week, they get picked up over by the playground, after school.

ff-princess
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:58 AM

bus riders to to the back of the school to get in line next to their bus.  there is an after school program, I believe they are sent to the gym / cafeteria for that. 

kindergartners are required to have a parent pick them up, they line up outside next to their classroom doors with their teacher and have to tell the teacher when they see their grown up. 

1st grade and up and they just let them walk out the door by themselves.  if a parent is picking up, it is their responsibility to have a prearranged meeting spot.

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:02 AM
It's one big cluster fuck at their schools. There are buses, parent pickups and after school programs. There are 6 schools in my district and they are all one the same block but the kindergarten school. I have to pick up my daughter who's in kinder. I have to go in and show id in order to pick her up. I then drive around the corner to go inside to show my I'd once again to get my 1st grader. It's insane in how they have it set up. No one can pick up a child without a photo id.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:36 AM
We have buses
There are children (like dd1) who are picked up and dropped off daily.
You wait outlaws they ring out a clipboard sign them out.

Then wait for your child. And the child tells the teacher who the adult is picking them up and if they see them. Them they make eye contact w the parent/adult.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:40 AM

there is a form in the registration process to indicate what you want your child to do, ours walk

because the parking lot at dismissal is like a mad woman's $hit, people parking in the drive thru lane, getting out of their cars to visit

every week the newletter has note that reads, "Please do not stop and make your own parking space when picking up your child from school".

It takes our kids 5minutes to walk home and it takes us 45 minutes to get home if I pick them up in the car

Justine1123
by Justine on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:41 AM
She's only in pre k and they get out early and aren't allowed to ride a bus. We have to pick her up at 1:30 at the back of the school. I think other kids ride buses and I'm not sure about after school programs. She will always ride home with her aunt who teaches at the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:56 AM

all of the above.  The busses are for the kids who don't live within the zone.  Mostly for the special ED kids who live outside the zone but got into the schoosl special ed program.   Kids in 3rd grade -5th grade can walk home alone un supervised if the parents send in a note saying they can.  everyone else has to be picked up by a parent.  We don't have a car line or anything. the parent has to stand on the sidewalk and wait outside one of the doors for thier children.   We don't have a regular after school program  but we have programs that can keep you at school longer.  Band is 2 days a week till about 5.  Dance is only on thursdays till 5.  There is a math afterschool program that is about an hour long 2 das a week.

my4kids274
by Drill Sergeant Mommy on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:01 AM

We pick our kids up from school and there is an after school program.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)