Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Brian (has been having a hard time because of the school nurse)Advice please

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
  • 52 Replies

is my 11 year old.On Monday he had an Upper GI,the doctors have been trying to figure out what is wrong with his stomach.They actually think he has Celiacs....After they did the endoscopy the doctor came out to tell us that whatever the cause Brian's stomach is really inflamed on the inside. He has Duodenitis,Antral Gastritis and Esophagitis.

He has to take Nexium 2x a day and Carafate 4x a day. The Carafate is to be taken an hour before each meal and once at bedtime. Because of it we had to get an extra bottle of Carafate to give to the school nurse so he can take his medicine at school. (If he doesn't take his meds before he eats he either ends up puking and/or pooping until the food is out of his system). The nurse and his home room teacher keep "FORGETTING" to give him his medicine!!! And I can't get to the school at 9:30a.m (they have lunch at 10:30 a.m.) everyday to give it to him;they won't let him carry a dose with him...So,now he gets sick at lunchtime everyday.I have even tried calling the office and reminding them to give it to him...that didn't work either.Uggghhhhh!!!I am at my wits end...When Brian gets sick they call me to tell me I have to pick him up because they don't know if the puking is contagious?!!

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . . . it's more like a jar of jalapenos.. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow!

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM

BUMP!

knagsmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Has the gi doctor sent(faxed) a note to the school? Ds is 5 n has encorpresis n takes meds that makes him go but little to no warning so his gi sent a note that he needs a bathroom pass that let's him go when needed without getting in trouble. Is the a liquid form of Ur sons medicine that u could mix with juice? Then he could have it in a water container and take it when needed. I do this with Ds for his morning medicine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

i'd get a note from the doctor explaining what is causing the puking and explaining that they MUST give him his medication on time or he will end up sick. then i'd go down there and explain to the nurse what is going on. i'm sure you already have but do it again.

i'd also tell my son to remind his teacher before lunch that he needs his meds or he'll get sick.

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM
3 moms liked this

I would call a lawyer. they are neglecting your son. I am not sue happy but the acid from the throw up CAN eat a hole into the esophagus. My brother was in the hospital for 2 weeks after he passed out from to much internal bleeding from a hole in his esophagus. 

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM

This is a good idea.I may actually try this-thanks.

Quoting knagsmom:

Has the gi doctor sent(faxed) a note to the school? Ds is 5 n has encorpresis n takes meds that makes him go but little to no warning so his gi sent a note that he needs a bathroom pass that let's him go when needed without getting in trouble. Is the a liquid form of Ur sons medicine that u could mix with juice? Then he could have it in a water container and take it when needed. I do this with Ds for his morning medicine.

knagsmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Your welcome. Hope it helps

Quoting brandyblx:

This is a good idea.I may actually try this-thanks.

Quoting knagsmom:

mandiNthomas
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I would be talking to the teacher/nurse/principal all together at once and get a note from your dr expressing the importance of his medicine. I know cell phones these days has programmable alarms to go off every day. Theres no reason for this.
christina0607
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM
3 moms liked this

Can he wear a watch with an alarm. He's 11 so he's old enough to remind his teachers.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Brian has been reminding his teacher.She keeps telling him to give her a minute....and then she forgets.

Quoting christina0607:

Can he wear a watch with an alarm. He's 11 so he's old enough to remind his teachers.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

The teacher has too many students to remember to remind one to go get medicine.  The school nurse may not even be there every day.  Get your son a watch with a timer.  Tell him when it goes off, go get your meds.  Obviously, let the teacher and nurse know too, but the ownership is now on him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN