Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Brian (has been having a hard time because of the school nurse)Advice please

Posted by   + Show Post

is my 11 year old.On Monday he had an Upper GI,the doctors have been trying to figure out what is wrong with his stomach.They actually think he has Celiacs....After they did the endoscopy the doctor came out to tell us that whatever the cause Brian's stomach is really inflamed on the inside. He has Duodenitis,Antral Gastritis and Esophagitis.

He has to take Nexium 2x a day and Carafate 4x a day. The Carafate is to be taken an hour before each meal and once at bedtime. Because of it we had to get an extra bottle of Carafate to give to the school nurse so he can take his medicine at school. (If he doesn't take his meds before he eats he either ends up puking and/or pooping until the food is out of his system). The nurse and his home room teacher keep "FORGETTING" to give him his medicine!!! And I can't get to the school at 9:30a.m (they have lunch at 10:30 a.m.) everyday to give it to him;they won't let him carry a dose with him...So,now he gets sick at lunchtime everyday.I have even tried calling the office and reminding them to give it to him...that didn't work either.Uggghhhhh!!!I am at my wits end...When Brian gets sick they call me to tell me I have to pick him up because they don't know if the puking is contagious?!!

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . . . it's more like a jar of jalapenos.. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow!

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Replies (11-20):
gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM

where as he IS reminding her and she just brushes him off what do you think she should do in that case?

Quoting mjande4:

The teacher has too many students to remember to remind one to go get medicine.  The school nurse may not even be there every day.  Get your son a watch with a timer.  Tell him when it goes off, go get your meds.  Obviously, let the teacher and nurse know too, but the ownership is now on him. 

For information please click the ribbon. 

my son and I have something known as Nerofibromatosis. This illness causes tumors to grow within our bodies. I currently have brain tumors which affects my ability to function 100% normaly. My memory is poor as is my spelling and grammar abilities. It is a part of who my youngest is and a part of who I am. It is not all of ether of us.

My husbands best friends brother has a condition known as tuberous sclerosis. He was supposed to have died at a very young age. He is now close to 30 and still alive. He has had a few brain surgeries and has had to have his shunt replaced a few times. They run a program to help people with this condition. This ribbon will take you to their website where information on TS is located. 

jillianmayasmom
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Can you have your son remind his teacher that he needs to go to the nurse for his meds? At 11, I would think he is old enough to be able to know when he needs it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM

talk to your DR about this. Sometimes leaving the medicine in water or juce for prolonged time can change it's properties. 

Quoting brandyblx:

This is a good idea.I may actually try this-thanks.

Quoting knagsmom:

Has the gi doctor sent(faxed) a note to the school? Ds is 5 n has encorpresis n takes meds that makes him go but little to no warning so his gi sent a note that he needs a bathroom pass that let's him go when needed without getting in trouble. Is the a liquid form of Ur sons medicine that u could mix with juice? Then he could have it in a water container and take it when needed. I do this with Ds for his morning medicine.

my son and I have something known as Nerofibromatosis. This illness causes tumors to grow within our bodies. I currently have brain tumors which affects my ability to function 100% normaly. My memory is poor as is my spelling and grammar abilities. It is a part of who my youngest is and a part of who I am. It is not all of ether of us.

My husbands best friends brother has a condition known as tuberous sclerosis. He was supposed to have died at a very young age. He is now close to 30 and still alive. He has had a few brain surgeries and has had to have his shunt replaced a few times. They run a program to help people with this condition. This ribbon will take you to their website where information on TS is located. 

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM

she said he does and the teacher pretty much brushes him off. (she says give me a minute then "forgets")

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

Can you have your son remind his teacher that he needs to go to the nurse for his meds? At 11, I would think he is old enough to be able to know when he needs it.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

If she needs to write him a pass, which is what I am guessing, then mom needs to sit down with the teacher and get a "special" every day pass for him to take each time his alarm goes off. 

Quoting gypsy_rose:

where as he IS reminding her and she just brushes him off what do you think she should do in that case?

Quoting mjande4:

The teacher has too many students to remember to remind one to go get medicine.  The school nurse may not even be there every day.  Get your son a watch with a timer.  Tell him when it goes off, go get your meds.  Obviously, let the teacher and nurse know too, but the ownership is now on him. 

beaugrl0824
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM
I would send a note telling the teacher that Brian will be leaving the room at 9:30 to get his meds. He's old enough to go straight to the nurses office get them and come back. Have a doctors note on file with everyone to back you up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM

All of his teachers and the nurse have paperwork from his doctor.Expalining why he needs the medicine,how much to give him..etc.If the school has a special pass I'll also ask them about it

Quoting beaugrl0824:

I would send a note telling the teacher that Brian will be leaving the room at 9:30 to get his meds. He's old enough to go straight to the nurses office get them and come back. Have a doctors note on file with everyone to back you up.

christina0607
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Then he needs to be louder and more insistent.

Have you tried calleing everyday to get them in the habit and make sure it does happen?

Quoting brandyblx:

Brian has been reminding his teacher.She keeps telling him to give her a minute....and then she forgets.

Quoting christina0607:

Can he wear a watch with an alarm. He's 11 so he's old enough to remind his teachers.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

From OP

"I have even tried calling the office and reminding them to give it to him...that didn't work "

Quoting christina0607:

Have you tried calleing everyday to get them in the habit and make sure it does happen?

Quoting brandyblx:

Brian has been reminding his teacher.She keeps telling him to give her a minute....and then she forgets.

Quoting christina0607:

Can he wear a watch with an alarm. He's 11 so he's old enough to remind his teachers.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I'm wondering if he is not as outspoken as you think or he is telling you that he is.  He is a preteen boy and most likely embarrassed that this is going on.  At his age he really needs to just take charge of the situation and get himself a pass and go when the timer goes off. 

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting brandyblx:

Quoting christina0607:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN