Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Brian (has been having a hard time because of the school nurse)Advice please

Posted by   + Show Post

is my 11 year old.On Monday he had an Upper GI,the doctors have been trying to figure out what is wrong with his stomach.They actually think he has Celiacs....After they did the endoscopy the doctor came out to tell us that whatever the cause Brian's stomach is really inflamed on the inside. He has Duodenitis,Antral Gastritis and Esophagitis.

He has to take Nexium 2x a day and Carafate 4x a day. The Carafate is to be taken an hour before each meal and once at bedtime. Because of it we had to get an extra bottle of Carafate to give to the school nurse so he can take his medicine at school. (If he doesn't take his meds before he eats he either ends up puking and/or pooping until the food is out of his system). The nurse and his home room teacher keep "FORGETTING" to give him his medicine!!! And I can't get to the school at 9:30a.m (they have lunch at 10:30 a.m.) everyday to give it to him;they won't let him carry a dose with him...So,now he gets sick at lunchtime everyday.I have even tried calling the office and reminding them to give it to him...that didn't work either.Uggghhhhh!!!I am at my wits end...When Brian gets sick they call me to tell me I have to pick him up because they don't know if the puking is contagious?!!

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . . . it's more like a jar of jalapenos.. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow!

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Replies (21-30):
gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Mom has called the office when the meds needed to be taken too and they still were not given. 

Quote from OP

"I have even tried calling the office and reminding them to give it to him...that didn't work "

Quoting mjande4:

I'm wondering if he is not as outspoken as you think or he is telling you that he is.  He is a preteen boy and most likely embarrassed that this is going on.  At his age he really needs to just take charge of the situation and get himself a pass and go when the timer goes off. 

Quoting christina0607:

Then he needs to be louder and more insistent.

Have you tried calleing everyday to get them in the habit and make sure it does happen?

Quoting brandyblx:

Brian has been reminding his teacher.She keeps telling him to give her a minute....and then she forgets.

Quoting christina0607:

Can he wear a watch with an alarm. He's 11 so he's old enough to remind his teachers.

For information please click the ribbon. 

my son and I have something known as Nerofibromatosis. This illness causes tumors to grow within our bodies. I currently have brain tumors which affects my ability to function 100% normaly. My memory is poor as is my spelling and grammar abilities. It is a part of who my youngest is and a part of who I am. It is not all of ether of us.

My husbands best friends brother has a condition known as tuberous sclerosis. He was supposed to have died at a very young age. He is now close to 30 and still alive. He has had a few brain surgeries and has had to have his shunt replaced a few times. They run a program to help people with this condition. This ribbon will take you to their website where information on TS is located. 

christina0607
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

What I'm saying is she should be on the phone while it's happening...every day until it becomes habit. Not call in the morning and then hope they do it.

Between her and her son they need to take charge of this, it's their responsibility.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

From OP

"I have even tried calling the office and reminding them to give it to him...that didn't work "

Quoting christina0607:

Have you tried calleing everyday to get them in the habit and make sure it does happen?

Quoting brandyblx:

Brian has been reminding his teacher.She keeps telling him to give her a minute....and then she forgets.

Quoting christina0607:

Can he wear a watch with an alarm. He's 11 so he's old enough to remind his teachers.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM

This!  She probably isn't even talking to anyone remotely linked to the nurse's office.  The bottom line is it's HIS responsibility and at 11 years old, HE needs to OWN it.

Quoting christina0607:

What I'm saying is she should be on the phone while it's happening...every day until it becomes habit. Not call in the morning and then hope they do it.

Between her and her son they need to take charge of this, it's their responsibility.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

From OP

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting brandyblx:

Quoting christina0607:

christina0607
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly. If the child was 6 then I would agree something needs to be done with the school...but this child is 11, the responsibility falls on him.

Quoting mjande4:

This!  She probably isn't even talking to anyone remotely linked to the nurse's office.  The bottom line is it's HIS responsibility and at 11 years old, HE needs to OWN it.

Quoting christina0607:

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Then he sshould just leave the class and go to the nurse and when the teacher calls you, you can remind her that she wasn't being helpful and you won't go against doctor's orders.

Quoting brandyblx:

Quoting christina0607:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I'm assuming they have a drs order for him to have the med. so its kinda medical neglect on their part.  Print out info for them on WHY this is so important and call a meeting with administration.  Lay it all on the table.

On the part of your 11 yr old how about an alarm to remind HIM to go to the nurse.

azpreemiemom
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Can you buy him a watch with an alarm that goes off when he needs to take it so he can remind his teacher? At 11, he is old enough to be responsible for knowing when to take his medication. In all honesty, the school nurse has several hundred kids that she is responsible for; the teacher has about 30-ish. I would put some of the responsibility on him.

azpreemiemom
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I would tell him to give her 5 minutes. If she forgets, then he gets up, leaves the classroom and goes to the nurse for his medication himself. I am sure you will get a phone call, but that will be the last time that happens.

Quoting brandyblx:

Quoting christina0607:

redvelvet42
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM

i would get an appointment with  the teacher, nurse and principal and school counselor. expalin the medication, medical condtiton(s) once and hand them all a copy of a note from the doctor. i would give them maybe a week. then i would go to the school district office and let somebody there know whats going on and let the bosses get involved.

i would also get the child a watch with a timer. i do not, however, beleive that he should shoulder all of the responsibility for taking the medications. i have an 11 yr too with asthma and other health issues. she has meds at school and she is not made to have all of the responsibility for taking her inhaler before gym class for example, so i see no reason that your 11 yr old should be any different.

as a precaution i would try to talk to a few lawyers just in case i need one. you know not necessarily to sue but to find out from a legal standpoint what does the school have to do, etc.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:56 PM
No, no, no. You're thinking about this all wrong. See, they say OMG can't have it on your person at school! We have to administer it! Well, are they? No. Document it. Every last time. Send a letter to the principle and the teacher and the school board that if they're not going to administer it, he's carrying concealed on his person.

One of two things will happen: they will prove to be rules and regulations nazis, search him daily and then he takes it after the teacher finds it after flashing his dr note saying she has to give it to him BY ORDER OF HIS PHYSICIAN and your letter or he takes it and no one gives a crap. Either way he takes it right? Get him a watch that beeps at 9:30. Gulp, gulp. Done.

I had the same Problem in jr high. But my mom had weight to her threats of making the principles life miserable. Hang on. What state are you in. I'll do you one better. Cite the state department of education statute they're violating and drop the $ amount of the fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)