Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Brian (has been having a hard time because of the school nurse)Advice please

Posted by   + Show Post

is my 11 year old.On Monday he had an Upper GI,the doctors have been trying to figure out what is wrong with his stomach.They actually think he has Celiacs....After they did the endoscopy the doctor came out to tell us that whatever the cause Brian's stomach is really inflamed on the inside. He has Duodenitis,Antral Gastritis and Esophagitis.

He has to take Nexium 2x a day and Carafate 4x a day. The Carafate is to be taken an hour before each meal and once at bedtime. Because of it we had to get an extra bottle of Carafate to give to the school nurse so he can take his medicine at school. (If he doesn't take his meds before he eats he either ends up puking and/or pooping until the food is out of his system). The nurse and his home room teacher keep "FORGETTING" to give him his medicine!!! And I can't get to the school at 9:30a.m (they have lunch at 10:30 a.m.) everyday to give it to him;they won't let him carry a dose with him...So,now he gets sick at lunchtime everyday.I have even tried calling the office and reminding them to give it to him...that didn't work either.Uggghhhhh!!!I am at my wits end...When Brian gets sick they call me to tell me I have to pick him up because they don't know if the puking is contagious?!!

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . . . it's more like a jar of jalapenos.. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow!

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Replies (31-40):
KMAsMommy9182
by Toujours Raison on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM
2 moms liked this

That was my thought.  I would love to see them call me for my dd walking out of class to get her medication after she tried to get the teacher to pay attention to her.  Also, the defense of "they have a lot of kids" is bull!  The teacher knows he needs to go to the nurse every day, at the same time...they don't need to have a conversation, so no need to "wait a minute".  Just acknowledge that you heard him and he should have permission to go at his necessary time.

Quoting azpreemiemom:

I would tell him to give her 5 minutes. If she forgets, then he gets up, leaves the classroom and goes to the nurse for his medication himself. I am sure you will get a phone call, but that will be the last time that happens.

Quoting brandyblx:

Brian has been reminding his teacher.She keeps telling him to give her a minute....and then she forgets.

Quoting christina0607:

Can he wear a watch with an alarm. He's 11 so he's old enough to remind his teachers.

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I am NOT in here a lot but I vote HELL NO. This is serious for your son. Very serious. A hole in his throat like another poster said.  Call your doctor. You need a note for medical and also you as a parent have to be on top of the medical regime on when meds are dispensed, so you can give the next dose. Set a watch, and he goes to the office one hour before lunch. YOU call the nurse and ask when she gave it. School nurses are pretty good. You make that phone call everyday and stay on top, that school nurse will dispense it. Make some phone calls mama! Document, document, document. Get that doctor's note first, explain you NEED to know the time when she gave the meds, and she can e-mail you. Call the teacher and tell her WHY this is so important and call the office daily to send a note to the teacher to remind her. A little heat in the kitchen is needed.

Quoting brandyblx:

Brian has been reminding his teacher.She keeps telling him to give her a minute....and then she forgets.

Quoting christina0607:

Can he wear a watch with an alarm. He's 11 so he's old enough to remind his teachers.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:43 AM

He has one.Take today as an example:

I called the school at 9:15a.m. this morning. I was on the phone with Brian while he walked to the office. And it turns out that the nurse had left to "run to the other school".She left Brian's medicine locked in her office and didn't come back until 1:30 p.m. By this time I was at work,daddy has gotten an extra/seasonal job to help with Christmas (he wasn't home and this place where he works is about an hour away).Now what?

Brian reminded his teacher,I called him and was talking to him while he went to go get his medicine.And,then the receptionist gets on the phone to tell me that the nurse had to go to the high school--they weren't sure what time she was coming back.What is the point of my taking his medicine to school if the nurse locks it in her office and leaves for a couple of hours?! This is really frustrating...uuugghhh!!!

Quoting azpreemiemom:

Can you buy him a watch with an alarm that goes off when he needs to take it so he can remind his teacher? At 11, he is old enough to be responsible for knowing when to take his medication. In all honesty, the school nurse has several hundred kids that she is responsible for; the teacher has about 30-ish. I would put some of the responsibility on him.

azpreemiemom
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM
This is a PITA. I think you need to take this to the principal's attention. This is really ridiculous. Is it a pill?

Quoting brandyblx:

I called the school at 9:15a.m. this morning. I was on the phone with Brian while he walked to the office. And it turns out that the nurse had left to "run to the other school".She left Brian's medicine locked in her office and didn't come back until 1:30 p.m. By this time I was at work,daddy has gotten an extra/seasonal job to help with Christmas (he wasn't home and this place where he works is about an hour away).Now what?

Brian reminded his teacher,I called him and was talking to him while he went to go get his medicine.And,then the receptionist gets on the phone to tell me that the nurse had to go to the high school--they weren't sure what time she was coming back.What is the point of my taking his medicine to school if the nurse locks it in her office and leaves for a couple of hours?! This is really frustrating...uuugghhh!!!

Quoting azpreemiemom:

Can you buy him a watch with an alarm that goes off when he needs to take it so he can remind his teacher? At 11, he is old enough to be responsible for knowing when to take his medication. In all honesty, the school nurse has several hundred kids that she is responsible for; the teacher has about 30-ish. I would put some of the responsibility on him.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Nope,a liquid.

Quoting azpreemiemom:

This is a PITA. I think you need to take this to the principal's attention. This is really ridiculous. Is it a pill?

Quoting brandyblx:

Quoting azpreemiemom:

azpreemiemom
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:08 AM

He needs to have access to that medication so that he can eat. I would talk to the principal and reiterate how important it is that he gets his medication when he is supposed to and that if the nurse isn't going to be available, then they need to keep it in the front office or give him access to it. This is ridiculous and I am mad for you.

Quoting brandyblx:

Nope,a liquid.

Quoting azpreemiemom:

Quoting brandyblx:

Quoting azpreemiemom:

bearbait
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Every single school district has someone in charge of student health. I would bypass the school nurse and go directly to the department head.  I would also check the district's website under printable forms, most have a form that a doctor and parent can sign stating the child is responisble for carrying their own meds. Without the permission a child has be suspended because of a zero tolerance policy.

I had a problem with one school nurse for one of my daughters. I tried to work with the nurse, the teacher tried to work with the nurse, the doctor tried to work with the nurse.  The Department Head of Student Health was able to work with the nurse.  The nurse still will not speak to me, but my kid will not sit in school with a migraine without her meds again.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Brian is TRYING to be responsible about taking it. The responsibility probably has more to do with the fact that if he doesn't take it he gets sick...but he is trying. I just can't think of what else to do?! I call them everyday.I've talked to the nurse,his teacher,the receptionist,the principal-Brian came home sick as a dog today and it hurt my heart when he said "I don't like NOT feeling good,momma. But,I was ssooo hungry...I had to go lie down in the principal's office until I felt better."

Quoting azpreemiemom:

He needs to have access to that medication so that he can eat. I would talk to the principal and reiterate how important it is that he gets his medication when he is supposed to and that if the nurse isn't going to be available, then they need to keep it in the front office or give him access to it. This is ridiculous and I am mad for you.

Quoting brandyblx:

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I'm glad you managed to get it fixed for your daughter.

Quoting bearbait:

Every single school district has someone in charge of student health. I would bypass the school nurse and go directly to the department head.  I would also check the district's website under printable forms, most have a form that a doctor and parent can sign stating the child is responisble for carrying their own meds. Without the permission a child has be suspended because of a zero tolerance policy.

I had a problem with one school nurse for one of my daughters. I tried to work with the nurse, the teacher tried to work with the nurse, the doctor tried to work with the nurse.  The Department Head of Student Health was able to work with the nurse.  The nurse still will not speak to me, but my kid will not sit in school with a migraine without her meds again.

JacksMom1221
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM
Personally, I would be livid. And I'm not easily angered. The school nurse's job is to give him his meds. If they aren't going to do it, then I'd say you're going to send a dose with him so he can be responsible if no one else can. That's BS. The complications from acid erosion, especially in an inflamed gut, can be very painful and severe. Not to mention your kiddo shouldn't have to vomit because someone else is slacking. I would talk to the principal and mention contacting the school superintendent if he doesn't get his medicine as scheduled. I hope things change soon momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)