Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Brian (has been having a hard time because of the school nurse)Advice please

Posted by   + Show Post

is my 11 year old.On Monday he had an Upper GI,the doctors have been trying to figure out what is wrong with his stomach.They actually think he has Celiacs....After they did the endoscopy the doctor came out to tell us that whatever the cause Brian's stomach is really inflamed on the inside. He has Duodenitis,Antral Gastritis and Esophagitis.

He has to take Nexium 2x a day and Carafate 4x a day. The Carafate is to be taken an hour before each meal and once at bedtime. Because of it we had to get an extra bottle of Carafate to give to the school nurse so he can take his medicine at school. (If he doesn't take his meds before he eats he either ends up puking and/or pooping until the food is out of his system). The nurse and his home room teacher keep "FORGETTING" to give him his medicine!!! And I can't get to the school at 9:30a.m (they have lunch at 10:30 a.m.) everyday to give it to him;they won't let him carry a dose with him...So,now he gets sick at lunchtime everyday.I have even tried calling the office and reminding them to give it to him...that didn't work either.Uggghhhhh!!!I am at my wits end...When Brian gets sick they call me to tell me I have to pick him up because they don't know if the puking is contagious?!!

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . . . it's more like a jar of jalapenos.. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow!

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Replies (41-50):
EyeSpyDesigns
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I would call social services and ask for a mediator to come to the school and meet with the nurse, school principal, and school counselor about medical neglect and the danger they place your child in by not accepting the responsibility of his medical well being while within their care. It is not your fault that the law mandates you send your child to a facility five times a week and therefore you are forced to hand over the well being of your child for that time frame each time. However, since it is law, then it is their responsibility to fulfill what they are required to fulfill which includes his physical well being during the time they have custody of him. Refusal or neglect of this is a serious issue and not one to be toyed around with. You can't get away with "forgetting" to get his vaccinations before he is enrolled each year. They won't allow it for obvious reasons. So how is it any different for them to impose rules and restrictions on YOU that prevents you from ensuring his proper care and well being is tended to, but also not assume the responsibility themselves and toss in a "I forgot" as the excuse? Law needs to be involved now. I find Childrens Protective Services are most effective at making things happen, and fast, as they tend to be good at stirring up pots. Give them a real case to work on for one. ;) Just a thought anyway... good luck to you hun and to your dear son. My thoughts are with you both.

Check out my blog of funny family memoirs.
Need to laugh? Need to feel normal?
This will do the trick!

black.eyeliner
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I would speak to the principal or even the superintendant. That is neglect and must be dealt with immediately. I would bring my child home if they vomited just to console them but it is almost certainly not contagious. It is neglect.

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM

my sister has medical issues and the schools were horrible about it. Eventually my parents told her to just leave class and go to the nurse for the medication and if the nurse didn't want to give it to her due to her not having a pass then she was to call home right away. My parents eventually ended up having to go to the top of the school board and having to threaten to call the media to get them to get their act together.     There were alot of issues with this nurse and my sisters meds were a life or death thing due to her heart condition.

TheMrs407
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Even with other kids in the room and school, they should be able to figure this out. There are probably many more kids who get medicine through out the day as well. It's the schools job to make sure he gets it if you send it.
As a teacher, it is sometimes hard to remember when everyone needs everything. I always found a post it taped to mine of the child' s desk with the time- nothing else, was a simple reminder. It's cheap and easy. No one has to know what it means and at 11 years old he can easily be reminded too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I am thinking about contacting his doctor and having them write Brian a script for the carafate pills. He can easily carry a pill with him and his alarm(watch) will remind him to go to the bathroom...so he can take it.If he gets caught with a pill though he will at the very least be suspended!! G**amn it!!!!

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM

BUMP!

mjande4
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Quoting brandyblx:

I am thinking about contacting his doctor and having them write Brian a script for the carafate pills. He can easily carry a pill with him and his alarm(watch) will remind him to go to the bathroom...so he can take it.If he gets caught with a pill though he will at the very least be suspended!! G**amn it!!!!

Sending him with the meds is definitely NOT the answer. He will get suspended and even though I understand your frustration, that's not the way to solve it. If the nurse is shared between campuses, then there must be procedures in place while she is off campus. You need to have a face to face meeting calmly with a doctor's note that includes your son, the teacher, nurse, and administrator. Make sure you are NOT defensive, but give details as to what your son will do to remember and take ownership, but have them clarify where the meds will be each day.
whoopsie16
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

wow, im sorry :(

Do you think you could try giving it to his teacher and ask him/her to privately give it to him before lunch? Is he old enough to just sneak it in his backpack & take it in the bathroom maybe? GL

StoneColdKiller
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Not sure if its been said, but tell your son to just leave the classroom and go to the nurse and tell her he needs it. If he doesnt get it then have him call you. If this is still not working call the principle.

Quoting brandyblx:

Brian has been reminding his teacher.She keeps telling him to give her a minute....and then she forgets.

Quoting christina0607:

Can he wear a watch with an alarm. He's 11 so he's old enough to remind his teachers.

prdmomnarmywife
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM
That's neglect ! & I would go in there and make damn sure they knew if it happened again I would be getting a lawyer . I would tell the teacher , principal , nurse & school district office on monday .. In the mean time get ds a watch , have it go off when he needs to take it & tell him if they tell him to wait to just walk out & go get it . I understand he will be scared of getting in trouble but you can handle that afterwards when you go to pick him up & his health is more important , then being scared of the teacher yelling .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)