Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Brian (has been having a hard time because of the school nurse)Advice please

Posted by   + Show Post

is my 11 year old.On Monday he had an Upper GI,the doctors have been trying to figure out what is wrong with his stomach.They actually think he has Celiacs....After they did the endoscopy the doctor came out to tell us that whatever the cause Brian's stomach is really inflamed on the inside. He has Duodenitis,Antral Gastritis and Esophagitis.

He has to take Nexium 2x a day and Carafate 4x a day. The Carafate is to be taken an hour before each meal and once at bedtime. Because of it we had to get an extra bottle of Carafate to give to the school nurse so he can take his medicine at school. (If he doesn't take his meds before he eats he either ends up puking and/or pooping until the food is out of his system). The nurse and his home room teacher keep "FORGETTING" to give him his medicine!!! And I can't get to the school at 9:30a.m (they have lunch at 10:30 a.m.) everyday to give it to him;they won't let him carry a dose with him...So,now he gets sick at lunchtime everyday.I have even tried calling the office and reminding them to give it to him...that didn't work either.Uggghhhhh!!!I am at my wits end...When Brian gets sick they call me to tell me I have to pick him up because they don't know if the puking is contagious?!!

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . . . it's more like a jar of jalapenos.. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow!

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Replies (51-52):
StoneColdKiller
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I have to ask something, you said you cant come and give it at 9:30, but your able to come and pick him up after lunch when he is very sick?

I know it sucks but I think you will have to come in at 9:30 and do it for him. As the parent you have the right to pull him out of class and give him meds.

Trust me I know this sucks. I have a autistic, adhd 5 year old who the school refuses to give him a para educator for in general class time, guess what I have to be there everyday now to keep him on track in his general ed class, sucks and trust me I dont enjoy this. I have to be at the school 6.5 hours a day monday-friday, all because if Im not their they send him to the special education room ALL day long where he wont learn anything that day. But atleast in my son school I trump everyone, so I say he will be in general ed and I will be their to make it so they cant go against me at all.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Nope and this is the problem.I don't drive because I get seizures.If my hubby is home then yes there is someone at home to come get him/give him his meds.Otherwise his grandfather has to be contacted...His grandfather is going deaf and shouldn't be driving. (According to his doctor his hearing is ok to drive-I just don't like it.You have to yell to have a convo with him)

This is causing all TYPES of problems.Yesterday Brian had to sit in the principal's office for 2 something hours til we could get to him.(in the principal's office because the nurse wasn't there)

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

I have to ask something, you said you cant come and give it at 9:30, but your able to come and pick him up after lunch when he is very sick?

I know it sucks but I think you will have to come in at 9:30 and do it for him. As the parent you have the right to pull him out of class and give him meds.

Trust me I know this sucks. I have a autistic, adhd 5 year old who the school refuses to give him a para educator for in general class time, guess what I have to be there everyday now to keep him on track in his general ed class, sucks and trust me I dont enjoy this. I have to be at the school 6.5 hours a day monday-friday, all because if Im not their they send him to the special education room ALL day long where he wont learn anything that day. But atleast in my son school I trump everyone, so I say he will be in general ed and I will be their to make it so they cant go against me at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN