Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Joseph from the bible... was he HISTORY'S Imhotep??

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Was the bible's Joseph the IMHOTEP of History?

Options:

YES!

NO!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 4

View Results

National Geographic, January 1995, describes a man called Imhotep who saved his country from a famine.  "Perhaps most confident was Imhotep, the architect who probably conceived of building Djoser's [pharaoh] tomb completely from stone. Known as a sculptor, a priest, and a healer, Imhotep is considered the preeminent genius of the Old Kingdom.  He assembled one workforce to quarry limestone to ship the crude blocks by boat to Saqqara, and yet another to haul the stone to the site, where master carvers shaped each block and put it in place.

"On a granite boulder above the Nile's First Cataract, the formidable rapids at Aswan, a sculptor who lived much later [thus the facts are not totally accurate] chiseled out in hieroglyphs the story of how Imhotep had even saved his country from famine. 

In 1890 Charles Wilbour discovered this boulder
 on the island of Sahal at the Nile, telling a story of Imhotep

The annual Nile flood, which inundated surrounding fields every autumn before farmers sowed their seed, failed seven years in a row.  Djoser asked Imhotep where the source of the river lay.  The pharaoh intended to travel there to interrogate the river gods and beg them to show mercy on his people.

"But Imhotep replied that sacred [God] books had given him the answer....  The floods returned, and the famine was over....

"In about 1200 B.C., fully 1400 years after his death, Imhotep, the genius architect of Djoser's reign, was deified by the Egyptians, who built cult temples to honor him."

http://thetruth-blog.blogspot.com/2010/08/is-joseph-in-egyptian-history.html

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/joseph.htm

Striking similarities.

1. Both Joseph and Imhotep were Grand Viziers. Genesis 41:41-43, "So Pharaoh said to Joseph, 'I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt.' Then Pharaoh took his signet ring from his finger and put it on Joseph's finger. He dressed him in robes of fine linen and put a gold chain around his neck. He had him ride in a chariot as his second-in-command, and men shouted before him, 'Make way!' Thus he put him in charge of the whole land of Egypt."

2. The priestly connection between Joseph and Imhotep.

Imhotep was priest in Heliopolis. Of Joseph, we read, "Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, 'I am Pharaoh, but without your word no one will lift hand or foot in all Egypt.' Pharaoh gave Joseph the name Zaphenath-Paneah and gave him Asenath daughter of Potiphera, priest of On, to be his wife. And Joseph went throughout the land of Egypt." (Genesis 41:44ff)

3. Both were noted to be godlike. Imhotep was titled, "Son of the Ptah, the Creator God." Of Joseph, we read Pharaoh saying, "So Pharaoh asked them, 'Can we find anyone like this man, one in whom is the spirit of God?' Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, 'Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you.'" Genesis 41:38ff

4. Imhotep was serving when there was a famine for seven years followed by seven years of plenty. With Joseph, it was the reverse. But the numbers are the same. The Joseph account makes more sense. In the Imhotep account, Imhotep saves 10% of the crops for famine (afterward), in the Joseph account, 20% beforehand.

Many famines in Egypt, but not seven years in a row. Only mentioned once in Egyptian history, and that was in connection with Imhotep.

5. When asked to interpret the famine, Imhotep said, "I need advice from God." When Pharaoh asked Joseph to interpret his dream, the text says, "I cannot do it," Joseph replied to Pharaoh, "but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires." (Genesis 41:16)

6. The building design of Imhotep's Step Pyramid was similar to the Sumerian Ziggurats, of which the tower of Babel was the first. Imhotep used stones rather than bricks. Joseph's great grandparents, Abraham and Sarah, were originally from the region where the ziggurats were built...they may have passed on the design.

7. Imhotep was a cutting edge physician and Joseph had doctors in his service:

"Joseph threw himself upon his father and wept over him and kissed him. Then Joseph directed the physicians in his service to embalm his father Israel. So the physicians embalmed him, taking a full forty days, for that was the time required for embalming." (Genesis 50:2)

8. Both came to Pharaoh while he was in distress. The inscription near the Nile reads: "I was in distress on the Great Throne"

In Genesis 41:8, Pharaoh is unusually distressed because of disturbing dream.

9. Imhotep died at the age of 110. Joseph died at the age of 110 (Genesis 50:22-26).

(source: The Exodus Case by Dr. Lennart Moller)

Click my tag to follow me there.

Merry CHRISTmas.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117832

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcwife86
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

its possible. the Jewish people were more than a little close to the Egyptian culture for a long time. if you look at Egyptian religious texts the similarities in their stories and the ones that are found in Christianity (which came from people who were Jewish originally ) are very apparent as well. you can stop this video at abt the 2.20 mark though. after that they go into their own thought. i simply pulled this one to show the parallels i was talking abt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIMFz5ZKDVo

Savedfromsin79
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Quoting mcwife86:

its possible. the Jewish people were more than a little close to the Egyptian culture for a long time. if you look at Egyptian religious texts the similarities in their stories and the ones that are found in Christianity (which came from people who were Jewish originally ) are very apparent as well. you can stop this video at abt the 2.20 mark though. after that they go into their own thought. i simply pulled this one to show the parallels i was talking abt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIMFz5ZKDVo

Exactly. What I have never understood is why people tend to ignore the historical proofs that agree in story's!

BraydensMama163
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Cool read.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Savedfromsin79
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Cool read.

Thanks.. I am glad you liked it!

Click my tag to follow me there.

Merry CHRISTmas.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117832

katzmeow726
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM
3 moms liked this

Oh wow, very cool read!  Of course, I read Imhotep, and I see this in my head lol.

BraydensMama163
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Omg me 2 he's so cute!

Quoting katzmeow726:

Oh wow, very cool read!  Of course, I read Imhotep, and I see this in my head lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcwife86
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

well almost every story in existence is influenced by some sort of fact. I'm sure that the christian bible has many parts that were based off of events and people that occurred/lived during their profit/saviors lifetime and the time previously. they just put spins on it to make it match up to whatever point they were trying to prove. those points may be the way you should behave or what will happen to you if you don't but i cant think of one instance where even works of fiction weren't influenced or inspired by a truth of some kind. I can acknowledge that there were people and events and religions previous to Christianity that line up with what the bible discusses but that doesn't mean i think the bible itself is truth and being able to point to people or events that did or prob did happen during the time that they discuss simply proves inspiration to me. for example a great flood that wiped out the evil people in the world. numerous cultures have that same story, the 'entireworld' was a lot smaller to them back then, and natural disasters were more devastating because there was no warning. so its entirely possible that a very large flood came in and killed many people in a large area. since they were not in full grasp of weather patterns and things of that nature the easiest way to reason away things (because as humans we HAVE to reason things in order to feel comfortable) is to say it was a punishment of some sort and in order to prevent it from happening again you just gotta try harder to please your god/s and that message is so important we should prob include that in our holy text to warn the future generations abt it.

Quoting Savedfromsin79:

Quoting mcwife86:

Exactly. What I have never understood is why people tend to ignore the historical proofs that agree in story's!

BraydensMama163
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I enjoy ancient histories. My husband likes watching action crap on TV. I love ancient mysteries and things like that on history channel. I make dh watch with me lol

Quoting Savedfromsin79:

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Cool read.

Thanks.. I am glad you liked it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I know right?  Not many men can rock the shaved head, but he sure does!

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Omg me 2 he's so cute!

Quoting katzmeow726:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Charweba
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I did too!! lmao!

Quoting katzmeow726:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)