Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What acne treatment actually works for you?

I have somewhat dry sensitive, fair skin. I tried Clean & Clear, and it was way too harsh on my skin, even with the moisturizer. My skin was so dry and red in some areas. It was like I had a sunburn. I have been using Clearasil (sp?) overnight scrub for the past like 3 weeks. I haven't seen much of an improvement. I use 2 different brands in my nightly routine, first its the scrubbing pads from aveeno that are also supposed to help acne, then the clearasil scrub, then clearsil spot treatment, then aveeno moisturizer that is also supposed to help acne. I have been seeing that Burt's Bee's seems to be showing up in more stores. I have only watched one youtube review of it, she loved it. It's a little pricey though. I might get it with my Christmas money from my grandma. Either that, or proactiv.

What do you use? Do you know if Burt's Bee's, or Proactiv would be better for someone with sensitive skin?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Thayer's Witch Hazel Rose Petal something or another. Love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
twinners.mama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM
I use Philosophy's acne products. Love them so far and they aren't harsh on my skin.
armyvet06
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Noxema facial scrub
freeasmahair
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Well the scrubs are actually making it worse.....I know a lot of them say for daily use but a scrub should only be used once a week until your skin clears and then once a month.....I make a lot of homemade masks and oatmeal is wonderful for acne and adds moisture.I grind up oatmeal...mix in honey and lemon juice and once a week apply it to my face and remove it after 10 minutes.Witch hazel is also for good for acne...it kills the bacteria that causes it.  But if it's bad enough I would go see a dermatologist.

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM
The thing that has helped me most is getting older.
Seriously. I have had very oily pimply skin my whole life. Even into my late 30's. I just turned 41 and for the first time in my life I'm not fighting my breakouts.
And on a upside, since I gave always had such oily skin I don't have a wrinkle on my face.
I just had an interview and the girl commented that she was shocked when she saw my age, she thought I was early 30's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waffa
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Most people swear by Proactiv, I tried it and didn't work. I went to a dermatologist who ultimately diagnosed my acne was due to elevated testosterone (no, I don't have a beard or chest hair tyvm!), but since the tx is to take extra estrogen which has it's own side effects like higher chances of breast/ovarian/uterus cancer I decided against it and just live with some zits on my face/chest/upper back/shoulders.

now I just use my loofa and buff-puff face scrubbie and some antibiotic soap (Dial)

Quoting Zoeysmommy1023:

I have somewhat dry sensitive, fair skin. I tried Clean & Clear, and it was way too harsh on my skin, even with the moisturizer. My skin was so dry and red in some areas. It was like I had a sunburn. I have been using Clearasil (sp?) overnight scrub for the past like 3 weeks. I haven't seen much of an improvement. I use 2 different brands in my nightly routine, first its the scrubbing pads from aveeno that are also supposed to help acne, then the clearasil scrub, then clearsil spot treatment, then aveeno moisturizer that is also supposed to help acne. I have been seeing that Burt's Bee's seems to be showing up in more stores. I have only watched one youtube review of it, she loved it. It's a little pricey though. I might get it with my Christmas money from my grandma. Either that, or proactiv.

What do you use? Do you know if Burt's Bee's, or Proactiv would be better for someone with sensitive skin?

Zoeysmommy1023
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:10 AM

You know I was just thinking about that scrub last night while trying to fall asleep. It says to use it every night before bed, yet I have read that you should only exfoliate like once a week or your skin will go crazy. I wish I would have remembered that. Geez. I'm going to try the oatmeal thing. Thanks. =) Before I started using that scrub, I mixed honey and sea salt, just to exfoliate. Talk about SMOOTH skin. I'm probably going to go back to doing that. Have you ever heard of doing 3 tablespoons of honey, 1 tpsp of cinnamon, then microwave for a short time. It's used as a mask. I tried it last night, the spots that are broken out do look a LITTLE better. That mask is very messy though, and when cinnamon gets in your eye, OUCH! Also, my skin was burning a little in some areas, like the sides of  my nose. I don't really have acne all over my face, just mainly my chin area. I do get kind of oily on my t zone, so I sometimes breakout around there too. Thanks for the tips. =) I'm always willing to try homemade treatments. I've seen for myself that honey is wonderful for your skin. =)

Quoting freeasmahair:

Well the scrubs are actually making it worse.....I know a lot of them say for daily use but a scrub should only be used once a week until your skin clears and then once a month.....I make a lot of homemade masks and oatmeal is wonderful for acne and adds moisture.I grind up oatmeal...mix in honey and lemon juice and once a week apply it to my face and remove it after 10 minutes.Witch hazel is also for good for acne...it kills the bacteria that causes it.  But if it's bad enough I would go see a dermatologist.

rachelannie00
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Do not do Proactiv if you have sensitive skin. It litterally ate away at my skin. I had red blistering spots (not normal acne) for weeks. Plus it was seriously painful.

D.O.E.
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM

honestly? the more products i tried, the worse it got. 

finally, i stopped wearing makeup. and then i would only wash my face every second day. (because i wasnt wearing makeup) 

when i did wash my face i used the most basic handsoap bar i could find, i wen from pretty much having moderate acne with cyst like pimples, to clear skin. it took about 2 months to get completely clear. now i only get whiteheads every now and then.

if i try to use makeup, i can actually feel what it does to my skin within an hour of putting it on, it just feels weird, and then i end up breaking out.

no more coverup for me, no more expensive face washes either.

D.O.E.
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM

no, it may work for a short time, but when you run out - watch out! major break outs! the less you fuck around with your skin, the better.

Quoting waffa:

Most people swear by Proactiv, I tried it and didn't work. I went to a dermatologist who ultimately diagnosed my acne was due to elevated testosterone (no, I don't have a beard or chest hair tyvm!), but since the tx is to take extra estrogen which has it's own side effects like higher chances of breast/ovarian/uterus cancer I decided against it and just live with some zits on my face/chest/upper back/shoulders.

now I just use my loofa and buff-puff face scrubbie and some antibiotic soap (Dial)

Quoting Zoeysmommy1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)