Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dog help!

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM
  • 20 Replies

I've about had it with this dog!! He freaking chews EVERYTHING! We keep him in his kennel when we're gone, but he still manages to sneak into dd's room to steal toys, OUT OF HER TOY BOX! He chews any and everything within his reach. He's a lab/doberman so that's anything within stomach height! I feel bad keeping him locked in his kennel all day, but unless your watching him the entire time, hes chewing. I bought him a decent size bone tonight to chew that took him about an hour to finish. Half an hour later I walk into the bedroom and he chewed our other dogs $150 dog bed that we just bought to help her with her arthritis. I don't know what to do. He has very short hair so I can't keep him out on the chain all day either now that its cold out. I need advice. If I can't find something that works, I'll have to break DD's heart and find him a new home. We've had him for a year now, and thats about all I can take of it! Please HELP!

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Snapdragon88
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Yikes! I don't know.. bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linds2Horse
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM
3 moms liked this

First;  A bored dog has to find a way to alleviate boredom, and chewing is one way dogs do that.  (similiarly to bored people eating all day) Locking him in his crate all day is probably making the problem worse.  Get him out on walks. Send him outside with a blanket.  (You can find them online very easily.)

Second:  One bone for a dog that is a habitual chewer is not enough bone. You need to have bones everywhere for him.  For now have bones scattered around any room your dog is allowed in.  You want a bone available whenever he feels like chewing.  You also want to have variety in bones and chew toys. Just like kids, dogs get bored if they only have one toy.Rawhides are good.  Frozen yogurt inside a Kong is good. So are carrot sticks and whole or sliced apples.  Whenever he grabs something he should, say, "Out" and gently take the toy from his mouth. If you say "out" everytime you pull the toy from his mouth he will quickly learn to drop the toy on his own.  Then immediately give him one of the toys that are easily accessible around the house.  He will eventually learn the difference between his toys and everyone else's toys.

Have you discussed his excessive chewing with your vet? Dog will excessively chew if they have dental problems or an ulcer.  Chewing released endorphins in the mouth, which alleviates the pain of an ulcer. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:17 AM

What kind of training have you done with him?  How often is he getting out to exercise and be stimulated.  I agree with PP that alot of the chewing is due to boredom and lack of stimulation.   Being a short hair does not play much into chilly weather for these breeds since they can keep themselves warmer than a small breed such as a chihuahua.  Look up the history of the breeds that your particular dog has in his genes to figure out the best way to get him active enough that human toys nor the other dogs special bed holds any interest to him.  Labs and dobermans are highly intelligent.

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM
My lab is a chewer too. She has a ton of things she can chew. She has a femur bone, a kong, several stuffed type toys (most de stuffed), and a couple ropes with different things attached to them. Her favorite is the stuffed toys, she doesn't really care for the long much but will chew it if she thinks one if the other dogs is going to get it. The femur is gross and stays outside and the hooves last forever all of my dogs have one and they carry them around for weeks. Rawhide doesn't last 2 seconds. My Boston terrier prefers plastic I'm not sure why but give him a 2 liter bottle or a milk bottle and he's a happy little turd. Also sometimes the lab will get ahold of one of the kids stuffed animals or a shoe but we try to keep that stuff up and away from her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:04 AM
1 mom liked this

He's bored and maybe a little nervous. Try training him, or teaching him to do tricks, I think it sounds like he needs something to do - for body and brain. Also a good walk - or run - and a ball toss will do wonders.

duejan13th
by ♥Jessica♥ on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Muzzle?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this

have you tried hiring a trainer?

shutting the door of high value rooms like the childs room and kitchen?

i have a dog who will be 3 shortly, had him since 9 month.

he's a large dog head is just about counter height.

we gated off the kitchen because temptation is just too great there for him, and the bathroom.

Other than that MOST of the time good exercise and play keeps his mischief down a great deal.

some days I can even leave the kitchen open without catastrophe.

But - rehoming isn't an option for us. He's a part of our family, and like us all has his faults.

FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Our absolute worse days with him are heavy rain and snow days.

On those days I dig shit like old boxes etc out of my basement and let him just

tear them up. it makes an awful mess but keeps him occupied.

LaughingTattoo
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM

All of the above advice is great....start buying bones by the crate. 1 isnt going to do it. Kongs are great- you can shove treats, carrots, and PB inside. Finally, Bitter Apple is a spray thats non-toxic and you can get cheap at any pet store. Spray it on anything hes likely to chew and believe me, he will NOT do it again. Ive tasted it and it is FOUL and bitter. All of these things combined, have always worked on my dogs

demonica29
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM
2 moms liked this

EVerything she said, but I want to add that a dog should not be kept on a chain, no matter what the weather is. 

Quoting Linds2Horse:

First;  A bored dog has to find a way to alleviate boredom, and chewing is one way dogs do that.  (similiarly to bored people eating all day) Locking him in his crate all day is probably making the problem worse.  Get him out on walks. Send him outside with a blanket.  (You can find them online very easily.)

Second:  One bone for a dog that is a habitual chewer is not enough bone. You need to have bones everywhere for him.  For now have bones scattered around any room your dog is allowed in.  You want a bone available whenever he feels like chewing.  You also want to have variety in bones and chew toys. Just like kids, dogs get bored if they only have one toy.Rawhides are good.  Frozen yogurt inside a Kong is good. So are carrot sticks and whole or sliced apples.  Whenever he grabs something he should, say, "Out" and gently take the toy from his mouth. If you say "out" everytime you pull the toy from his mouth he will quickly learn to drop the toy on his own.  Then immediately give him one of the toys that are easily accessible around the house.  He will eventually learn the difference between his toys and everyone else's toys.

Have you discussed his excessive chewing with your vet? Dog will excessively chew if they have dental problems or an ulcer.  Chewing released endorphins in the mouth, which alleviates the pain of an ulcer. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN